MAG250

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Apr 2015 10:41 AM by Roundhill Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi, has anyone got a mag 250 set top box and brought it back to the UK and then does it work?. I have got a quote to get a mag box in Spain year 1 350 euros and then an annual sub of 250 euros thereafter. We don't have sky in England but if the mag box will work with all the sky channels that that I have been told it will then it seems a good deal and works  out at 20 euros a month. In the UK I would imagine that sky will cost a lot more than this. Any thoughts ?

Like 0      
08 Apr 2015 11:11 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

The Mag box is probably the best IPTV solution there is, this is what we have ended up using after trying a number of android devices.By having to connect to a server rather than having a collection of free feeds (as with android xmbc) means that you are not going to get away without paying a monthly subscription of some sort.

The Mag box will work anywhere in the world, all you need is a internet connection, will work via a network cable from a router or wirelessly via a dongle.

Roundhill

Would recommend that you go for the upgraded MAG254 box, it has a faster processor than the 250

Like 0      
09 Apr 2015 6:51 PM by Roundhill Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks Team GB, we have been using the mag box for a few days and it's fine. It freezes very occasionally but we can put up with that. We've got the mag 254 with the faster processor. If it works in the UK then for the cost of 250 euros per year compared to the channels you receive its good value

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 1:32 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Full Sky package including free supply and installation will cost you £140.00 all in back in the UK .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 10/04/2015.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 2:09 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I read it as

Year 1, 350€ for the box and subscription 250€ per year after that, which is about the going rate. Depends on what package you sign up to

The mag boxes are not android they have a linux operating system and are in my opionion a far superior product, here is the specificiation from the manufactures if anybody is interested.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 3:24 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Call it what you like if it designed to receive iptvv/show box/cloud TV  and the likes what you have is a android TV box I have the latest android TV box that comes already jail Brocken with a quad core processor and a 16 gig hard drive built no buffering delivered to you're door £50.00 all in I have 1 in Spain and 1 in the UK.

Why on earth are you paying a 250eu yearly subscription for free to air and google TV that is completely free.to receive.

Like 1      
10 Apr 2015 4:49 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I repeat a Mag ITPV box manufactored by informir has nothing 'android' inside.

The 25/30€ subscriptions include all sky sports and movies, in all about 150 channels most in true HD, you are paying for someone to run, host and support a server, you also get customer service. You can get a subscription for around 15€ per month if you don't want the premium chanels.

You pays your money and takes your choice, after trying both systems I'd rather have a decent system with a proper remote control and channel quide rather a collection of dodgy internet links  that could stop working at any time.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 5:27 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The Mag  250 is a very old fashion technology that has been succeeded by the android TV set top box everything that you receive with the android TV is completely free their are also pay for view Sky Chanel's on my box the whole sky packaged is available for a £10.00 per month subscription why would you pay someone  250.EU for this you are been ripped off if you don't believe me then just try selling you're outdated Mag 250 on to someone else on this form.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 6:11 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Well, the respected PC Advisor website/magazine does not agree with you either.

Unlike the Android TV Box, the MAG 254 IPTV Set Top Box does not use the Android operating system as a platform to run other useful IPTV based systems, this enables the MAG to outperform any currently available Android TV Box’s running IPTV services, far much less resources are used with Linux and this is why the MAG is able to run faster, cooler and more efficiently.

We ran the same IPTV service on an Android box and then on the MAG254, we then asked a 65 year old male who admitted he wasn’t at all tech savvy to use both systems and share with us which system he thought was more user friendly. The MAG 254 IPTV Set Top Box was clearly his choice.

The way in which the MAG 254 IPTV Set Top Box user interface was set up ensures the ease of use which is so required by many users out there who find other similar products too complicated to use, the MAG reduces complexity to a near nonexistence and this is a key selling point for the less tech savvy user.

Like 1      
10 Apr 2015 6:33 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

A 65 year old that is not computer literate would have preferred a Mag 250 over a Android TV set top box simply because the android box turns you're TV in to a smart TV (  ie a computer ) everything I use to do on my laptop I do on my TV and that includes reading and repling to Post's on eye on spain all from a 52" TV I even print straight off the TV so my laptop that I paid £700.00 for is now redundant old technology like the Mag 250 TV box.

If you want a Mag box you can buy the latest Mag 254 from eBay for £150. that includes a 12 subscription to all the networks not the 1,350eu. and then 250eu per year subscription the original poster said he is paying.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 11/04/2015.

Like 1      
11 Apr 2015 7:15 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

This is not my age group, but I have to say, I would be extremely surprised if there were any 65 year olds who were not computer literate.   They are the people who have been using computers and the internet for the last 25 years of their working lives!!

Off topic I know, but it is important not to patronise. 

This message was last edited by Roly2 on 11/04/2015.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2015 8:15 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

For the OP, i know that some "iptv" stream providers do not offer / block their sky uk channels, that they have "nicked", in the UK...

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 1      
13 Apr 2015 3:05 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Very interesting thread.  I'm on the verge of buying a Mag254 at £69.99 from ebay - whilst I'm just about OK with the basics IT wise I do like simplicity.

But are there any suggestions for the best source for the TV channels package please?

Like 0      
13 Apr 2015 3:41 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Acer

The Mag box is easy to set up, all you have to do is enter the server address in the required field in the settings menu. You are given the server address when you subscribe to a service.

But are there any suggestions for the best source for the TV channels package please?.

Million dollar question.

There are tons of resellers about that you can choose, I'm still trying to work out the best service, trying to go direct with the hosting company to get a better deal. It seems to me there is a limited choice of packages available, you either get basic UK tv at around 15€ per month or everything and I mean everything for about 30€ per month (both include catchup) - personally I would have liked to tailor a subscription somewhere in between.

From what I can make out a lot of resellers use WLIPTV (white label) but unfortunately you can't seem to get any sort of discount by going direct.

With all that said I'm taking it month by month at the moment so I can swap into a better deal quickly. If you go down a reseller route make sure you get a two day free trial, some do, some don't.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2015 10:47 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Many thanks for the pointers Team GB, I spend a lot of time in the UK where I don't have Sky currently, so I might go that route for a while at least.  It seems a ot better deal that the conventional one.

Cheers

Like 0      
13 Apr 2015 11:10 PM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

If I want one of these MAG IPTV boxes would same box work both in UK and Spain?

i.e.  Would prefer to buy and test it in UK then bring over to Spain

Just thinking if it relies on a subscription that the subscriptions might be totally different in different countries?

Anyone in the know care to clarify please? Thanks in anticipation.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2015 11:32 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

If you subscribe to a service it doesn't matter where you are in the world, you will get that service just as long as you have an internet connection. The server will recognise your box id, it doesn't matter where you are.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2015 12:28 AM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

Thanks for the quick response "Team GB" much appreciated..

Like "Acer" higher up, I was looking at a £69.99 one on ebay. Have asked the supplier about any subscription options but as yet not got a response.

At that price may as well buy anyway me thinks.. thanks again.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2015 9:33 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

£70 is not a bad price, When I contacted the manufacturer (Informir) they wanted about 58€ but they wanted me to buy 10 and the cost was plus shiping.

You can buy the box's on ebay with subscription included, but I'm a bit wary of that, here is an example of the base pack I was talking about earlier, this gives you the box, 12 months sub and catch up for £120

Like 0      
14 Apr 2015 9:50 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

This ebay seller seems to be offering the box and a 1 month sub to all the premium channels for £80. If after a month you are not happy with the service you can just change supplier

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Medication - 12 posts
Car hire at Alicante and Murcia - 17 posts
retired scottish couple with dog seek long term rental southern spain - 8 posts
accomadation - 0 posts
I have a question - 1 posts
Where to get tyres for a Ford Transit in Barcelona - 4 posts
Healthcare, How Would They Know? - 11 posts
Relocating to Spain - 18 posts
outside walls - 5 posts
Doors and windows - 4 posts
jobs in alicante area for qualified english native teacher with CELTA qualification - 8 posts
Moving to Spain in October - 2 posts
How long for property purchase to go through - 13 posts
Flights to San Javier - 5 posts
Driving docs - 19 posts
BBC TV Programme 31st March 2015 Shows How Tough Life is for Many Brits in Spain. - 50 posts
Corvera vs San Javier Airports - 2 posts
Mortgage lenders ordered to refund overpaid interest - 7 posts
UK banking - 13 posts
Brit couple found murdered in N.Spain - 1 posts
Buying an android to watch tv - 4 posts
Murcia today - 19 posts
Where can I buy - 6 posts
Looking for advice from anyone who got a 100%+ mortgage for a propert - 5 posts
New to the forum and looking for advice! - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x