Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Apr 2015 20:05 by Mrsmac06 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

We are moving to Spain end of this year, do we need to register with a medical centre so that my husband can get his medication that is prescribed to him in the UK.

Like 0      
07 Apr 2015 22:44 by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1101 posts Send private message

We need a little more information. The important thing is how old are you? If over pensionable age in UK then no problem. Are you going to be permanently living in Spain or just holiday makers? 

The reason I ask is that only under 18, paying into social security through their work or self employment, over pensionable age or registered disabled can get full access to the Spanish NHS. You have to become a resident,  sign on the electoral roll and transfer your healthcare from UK. In all other cases you would need private health insurance.

You can get medication over the counter (by showing your UK repeat prescription) but would have to pay full price which could be expensive depending on the meds.

If you are over pensionable age it is quite simple and you will get a health card which will register you with a doctor in your area. 

Also, where are you moving to? Spain has different rules for each region.


This message was last edited by mariedav on 07/04/2015.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2015 08:43 by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

Not STRICTLY true Marie!  Those of us under retirement age but not working here, can also now access the Spanish NHS through the Convenio Especial, paying 60€ a month.  I ploughed through the (not too straightforward!) system to get it and now have my Spanish healthcard giving full access to the Spanish NHS.  Better than private insurance if someone has pre-existing conditions (which are usually excluded under private health insurance).

But other than that, I agree - the OP's question is MUCH simpler if she is a UK pensioner!


 Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2015 21:18 by Mrsmac06 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hubby is over 65, we are moving to campasol mazarron.  We have not yet decided about becoming residents.  but will be living in spain all the time. 

So if i am reading this correct i get my prescription sent to me from UK and then go to pharmacy to collect.  Such a lot to take in when moving, but all for the better.


This message was last edited by Mrsmac06 on 09/04/2015.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2015 21:52 by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1408 posts Send private message

If you live in Spain all the time,  you dont  have a choice, , you will have to sign on the foreign citizensregister ( residency) after 90 days,  as you will be considered resident

In order to do this you have to prove you have health cover, and your income.

Its normally 600 euros per month each and/ or 6 k in the Spanish bank

I'm afraid whoever told you that, is wrong.

If your husband is receiving the state pension, you will be covered as his dependant, and when you receive the state pension you can apply for free healthcare in your own right.

If your husband dies before you receive the state pension, after a year( I think) you will not be covered, until you receive  the state pension, and can apply for free care in your own right.

Your GP in Spain will prescribe your medication. Prescriptions  are charged at 10 %  of the cost, capped at 8 euros  per month, if your Personal total  worldwide income  is less than18 k euros per year.. If it is more than that the monthly cost wil be 18 euros.

Make sure as well as health matters you research the tax implications of living inSpain

Although everyone quotes that after 183 days you are tax rsident, the real fact is, that if you move to Spain with the intention of living there permanently, you are tax resident, from day 1. Not a lot of people know that!

The tax year in Spain is from January - December, unllike UK

By the way, if you need any info on Camposol, I will try to help.

This message was last edited by camposol on 09/04/2015.

Like 1      
10 Apr 2015 13:54 by Mrsmac06 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for the below. Such a lot to take in, but will be worth it in the end.

The tax part do we have to pay taxes in both countries if we become residents.

Thanks for the offer of any info on camposol, i would imagine i will asking lots more in the weeks to come

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 14:17 by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1408 posts Send private message

Due to their being a double taxation treaty between Spain and UK, t you do not pay income tax twice.

You appy to HMRC to be tax exempt in the UK

If you go to the Blevins Franks website there is lots of info on tax iin Spain, income tax, capital gains tax , Inheritance tax

Forums are helpful for opinions and experiences, but for accurate info, you need to go to a financial advisor

It might be helpful for you to speak to an advisor in the UK if you have any investments

It is important to realise that what. Is tax free in the UK eg premium bond winnings, ISAs, pension lump sums, inheritances, aren't in Spain

If selling a house before you move, you are better doing so the year before you move, to avoid paying  capital gains tax on it in Spain,

Government pensions, eg civil service, military, teachers etc  have to be taxed in UK, but also have to be declared in Spain, in order to work out your tax base.

All other income, pensions, savings interst ,rental income, investment income are taxed in Soain, no matter where they originate.

Inheritance tax is very different from that in the UK

As I said before, If you are going to live in Spain all the time you have no choice babout being residents or Where you pay your tax

Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 15:01 by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 772 posts Send private message

Camposol quote " You appy to HMRC to be tax exempt in the UK "

The UK tax office won't exempt anyone from tax upon being contacted without proof of your new tax office.  Consequently one has to first file into the Spanish tax system,  and if necessary pay the taxes due. Once proof of this is received by UK tax office they will organise a repayment into your bank account. Usually takes about 3 months.

This is one reason why people who want to permanently reside in another country have 183 days to start make all the necessary adjustments.  Another reason is in case you realise Spain is not the place for you. In which case by day 182 you should  return to UK having just used the time as a carefree holiday. I state should  because many Brits abuse the system.

Mrsmac06 do not get concerned, especially so as you are relocating to live on  Camposol where there is a dearth of  Spanish legal people, fluent in English, working there who will make your transition from UK to Spain a doddle. For reasonable fees they organise everything without you having to lift a finger. 

Do suggest that you should keep your UK bank account. For no other reason than you might want to return one day or even go for a visit.






Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 16:18 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5247 posts Send private message

The MO may have changed,  but when I came to Spain I called HMRC (Inland Revenue at that time) and told them I was now living in Spain.  They sent some forms printed in English and Spanish. I completed my part and took them to Hacienda. They completed their part and sent them to HMRC (IR)

That was that.

Since then I pay tax on my Government employee pension (not to be confused with OAP) in UK and tax on all other income)  including my OAP, in Spain. 

 (I do not let property in UK, if I did,  that would be taxed in UK)

Like 1      
10 Apr 2015 16:53 by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1408 posts Send private message

Johnzx- i'm sure you know that rental incomes from the UK are also declared  in Spain?

Floella - when I said apply to the HMRC , I meant to get the form, which used to be F 9 , in Spanish  and English.

If you sell your house, move to Spain with all your goods, it is pretty obvious you are intending to live their permanently, not going for a trial run, and as such you are tax resident from day 1 

As one living on Camposol , I would not agree that everything can be organised for you without having to lift a finger.

You do have to take responsibility for your own affairs, or risk being ripped off or given bad information.

Knowledge about tax affairs in Spain is necessary., and there are plenty of sites to do research on.forewarned is forearmed!

i admit that it  is difficult knowing who to trust, as several different accountants interpreted my tax affairs differently, with very different  amounts to pay. At least I knew when they were giving the wrong info.

Who is right? I am now with an accountant who comes from Almeria, on a regular basis 


Like 0      
10 Apr 2015 18:59 by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 772 posts Send private message

Friends of mine, who are frequent visitors to Camposol, get all their basic paperwork, driving licences etc, sorted there.  They use the young lady who works at the rear of one of the shops on sector B.

Agree one has to take responsibility but initially, for OP, help is on hand and every concern / problem sorted giving folk time to locate a suitable tax advisor. 


Like 0      
11 Apr 2015 08:27 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5247 posts Send private message


Well as you said, "I' 'm sure you know that rental incomes from the UK are also declared  in Spain?

You are right.  Yes I do.


This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/04/2015.

Like 1      
12 Jan 2019 13:32 by CodyCobey Star rating in Miami, FL. 6 posts Send private message

In addition, the rules about the offsetting mortgage interest against the rental income are changing as the higher rate taxpayers will pay more tax.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car hire at Alicante and Murcia - 17 posts
retired scottish couple with dog seek long term rental southern spain - 8 posts
accomadation - 0 posts
I have a question - 1 posts
Where to get tyres for a Ford Transit in Barcelona - 4 posts
Healthcare, How Would They Know? - 11 posts
Relocating to Spain - 18 posts
outside walls - 5 posts
Doors and windows - 4 posts
jobs in alicante area for qualified english native teacher with CELTA qualification - 8 posts
Moving to Spain in October - 2 posts
How long for property purchase to go through - 13 posts
Flights to San Javier - 5 posts
Driving docs - 19 posts
BBC TV Programme 31st March 2015 Shows How Tough Life is for Many Brits in Spain. - 50 posts
Corvera vs San Javier Airports - 2 posts
Mortgage lenders ordered to refund overpaid interest - 7 posts
UK banking - 13 posts
Brit couple found murdered in N.Spain - 1 posts
Buying an android to watch tv - 4 posts
Murcia today - 19 posts
Where can I buy - 6 posts
Looking for advice from anyone who got a 100%+ mortgage for a propert - 5 posts
New to the forum and looking for advice! - 12 posts
Iberosat HD 4700 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x