hi i'm Sue!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Feb 2015 3:01 PM by jessiesue57 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

My husband and i were considering retiring to Spain and then I got sick and was diagnosed with a serios hear condition.My question is - Has anyone else here experience of living with a long term condition (Im expecting to have a ICD fitted in the near future). Should we just resign ourselves to visiting Spain or is pursuing our dream viable?? Any advice welcome!

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 3:19 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

You have not given enough information in order for others to give an opinion.

Holidays would be a lot less stressful than dealing with health problems as a resident  in Spain.

Although the healthcare you receive would be excellent, other factors have to be taken into consideration, residency requirements, taxes, language etc.

You don't say how old you are, whether retired, other health problems etc

This message was last edited by camposol on 03/02/2015.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 5:04 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Hi Sue.

One of my friends is very deaf, been this way from sixteen ish, lived in Spain now for the past 10 / 12 years, Spain has sorted out her hearing aids (Not to much use though) has sub-titles on her TV, also she has a good few other issues with her health which as I write are being sorted out in Spain this month.

When you say ICD fitted do you mean the hearing aid they fit to the skull to improve hearing? If so she has been offered that by the Spanish hospital, don't know if she has taken this offer up yet.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 5:15 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Sue wouldn't be able to have hearing aids  on the Spanish NHS?

I think she would have to go private which would be very expensive

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 5:37 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Sue wouldn't be able to have hearing aids  on the Spanish NHS?

I think she would have to go private which would be very expensive

My friend had her first hearing aids when she lived in England, I know for a fact that Spain sorted out her other / next one's while she was in Spain, I don't know if this was done privately or she had to say pay something towards them,  *** I would say 100% not done private knowing her ***.

Her other health issues which I have spoken of, and Spain is sorting out, have surprised me as to how much care she has had and is getting now. Although her health issues are not major life threatening she certainly seems to have had her fair share out of Spains Health Care System.

I took her to the clinic one day and was totally gobsmacked as to how efficient / clean / on time / everything was done for her...Of course comparing to the UK.

Definitely something Sue should find out about before she jumps in both feet first though, as I can only speak as I have seen it.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 6:08 PM by jessiesue57 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone. i am female 58 year old retired headteacher. My husband and I are selling up a B and B business and downsizing.. The question is where we downsize to. We will be self sufficient financially. The ICD  I refer to is an internal defibrilator for my heart. I suppose we could fly home for my check ups. I just wondered if anyone else out there was living with such a heart condition and whether they felt 'safe'. I just struggle with health insurance and can only get  'one trip policies for up to 30 days - doesnt help when you had hoped to go travelling! So the alternative seems to be a permanent move. Just looking for opinions/advice. Cheers

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 6:18 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

I think that Sue meant to say "serious heart condition" as a ICD stands for Implantable cardioverter defibrillator. I would think that it's possible to move to and live in Spain with such a condition although I don't have any personal knowledge. I would think that one of the main problems would be the language. How is your Spanish, Sue? Would you feel comfortable dealing with medical matters in Spanish or through an interpreter?

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 7:09 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Does your condition class you as "disabled"? In other words, do you get disability payments in UK because of it?

If not, you would not get cover in Spain as you are under pensionable age. If you are disabled because of it then you can transfer your healthcare to Spain. If not then you would not get the healthcare cover. If you move over permanently, that is spending over half the year in Spain, you will also be removed from the NHS in UK as it is residency based so flying back for treatment would not work. The only alternative, at least for the first year, would be health insurance which probably would not cover you for any pre-existing condition. Your travel insurance that gives you up to 90 days is not the same as health insurance.

Like 1      
03 Feb 2015 10:55 PM by jessiesue57 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Good Spanish - studied it for 9 years.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 11:07 PM by jessiesue57 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

oh and yes - I am registered disabled

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 11:41 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

In which case you can transfer your healthcare to Spain using the S1 forms. This will give you immediate access to the Spanish NHS once you become resident. The only thing you pay for is 10% of the cost of prescriptions up to a maximum amount per month depending on your income (€8 per month if you earn less than 100,000 euro a year). If your husband is under pensionable age he will be classed as your beneficiary and will receive free NHS care as well but will pay more for prescriptions (normally 40% of the cost).

You will find the Spanish NHS system excellent. Make sure you get a copy of your medical records before you leave UK. The front page can be translated. I'm sure than any treatment you are receiving in UK will be reciprocated here.

Re the B&B. Do your homework first. Thoroughly. New regulations regarding H&S certificates, registration and so on have only recently been introduced so you would need to study these beforehand. Also location, location, location. British  holidaymakers normally prefer the "all inclusive" resorts or renting out a self catering villa. There are many, of different nationalities, who prefer the touring holidays so that might be a good customer base.

Whatever you decide, all the best and hope it all works out for you.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 03/02/2015.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 11:45 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the OP has completely retired and was not looking to do B and B in Spain?

Like 0      
04 Feb 2015 12:33 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Sorry, ignore the last paragraph. I thought the other post said "setting" up a B&B, not "selling" up.

Well, I do get my old age pension in 10 days time.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Consumer units and general installation questions - 1 posts
Spanish terrestrial TV - 4 posts
Buying a Car - 11 posts
medical certs for driving - 2 posts
Electrician in torrevieja . - 0 posts
When Tax Free Permanent Health Insurance is your only income - 0 posts
deborah - 1 posts
Good gestoria in Fuengirola - 4 posts
Assistance with locating a property to purchase in Andalucia - 1 posts
Reply problem - 1 posts
Reply problem - 9 posts
Inheritance tax in Andalucia - 4 posts
Civil Service pensions - 0 posts
FOR SALE TITLEIST DCI 990 IRONS - 1 posts
The Flintstones - 0 posts
la Nucia or Almoradi - 0 posts
Weather this week - 3 posts
TV Opportunity - 5 posts
work opportunities for native english speaking teacher of spanish and french - 0 posts
Long lets in Lake Vinuela - 0 posts
advice on living in villas del duque - 4 posts
Moving to Spain For A Year Tax and Medical Care Questions - 6 posts
DRIVING BACK TO THE UK IN OUR SPANISH INSURED, PLATED AND ITV'd LEFT HAND DRIVE ALFA ROMEO - 10 posts
Voting rules for Statutes - 0 posts
Spanish Police Advice - 26 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x