Advice on water bill

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2015 12:50 PM by benavista Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Having retired here last year we have seen our water bills go through the roof. My last 2 bills for a 3 bed villa with small pool and garden have been over 1000,00 euros. Enough M3 to fill our pool 3 times over.

We have NOT filled our pool. the garden watering system has been switched off. We have checked for leaks, the meter does not move when all switched off. Does anyone know where I can get help to find the problem. Hidralia have been no help at all and say we must be using it. TOUGH !!!! who uses 352 M3 in one winter quarter ???

It is as if another house or the commuinitee is connected to our water.

body p

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 2:18 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

It really does sound like you're paying for the whole community, or at least part of it. Those bills would be enough to keep over a dozen properties going. If your water company is proving unhelpful, the Ministry of the Environment is responsible for water provision. Perhaps you could contact them to find out if there is such a thing as an ombudsman, maybe ask for advice from your town hall.

Your bills are about 3 to 4 times as much per quarter as our 3 bed property is for the entire year so there is obviously something wrong somewhere.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 2:54 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Without seeing your bill it's difficult to say what’s wrong.  That is what you are actually paying for and the cost per meter, as per the charge per block of water. Often the more one uses the more overall one pays per metre.

I lived in a property where there was one water bill for all the community of 20 houses which went to builder who still had the contract, as individual contracts had not been made by each householder.  The one bill was split between the 20 houses.

I discovered that our company supplied water in block or metres, which became more expensive with the more water used. Thus each metre in the first 20 m3 block, was one price per M3, the next block, say of 40 m3 was more per metre  and so on.  Our collective bill had only one block at each rate.  And not only that, but as it was the builder’s contract,  we were paying constructors rates,  and that was higher than  individual private consumers.

When I arranged contracts for each house we all got the 20 m3 at the lower rate (in totally 400 at the lower rtae)  and then the  block rate for the next block of water.  The overall cost per house was a fraction of what it had been.

Assuming you have eliminated that type of situation, I would read your meter every day, and see if anything untoward happens. You may also be able to draw off a measured amount of water and check that the meter has recorded the amount correctly. thus ruling out a defective meter.  If you cannot measure, then maybe it would be worth installing another private meter on your side of the company meter and see if they read the same.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 2:56 PM by starfox Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

You have probably already checked but I would  check again your meter and all around your property for the pipes to see if anyone has connected onto them. This would probably require a sneaky look over the neighbours fence too just to see if no pipe or hoses are leading to your property.

At the same time I would look for any damp areas or soft spots on the ground, walls, etc as it's possible it could be a leak somewhere. For that sort of a bill I think it's worth hiring a good expert or even getting the water company(insist upon it and even if they are unhelpful ask for their Hojas) to come out and have a look.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 5:36 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Read your meter every day lets say at 11am every day while you there, and you will see what you are using, also check your serial number is correct whats on your bill is the same as on your meter.

Like 1      
14 Jan 2015 6:39 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

If the meter does not move when all is switched off, then it can't be that someone else is connected to your meter, it can't be a leak either.

Must be a faulty meter.

If no one at your water company is helpful, ask for a complaints form, the results are amazing , they'll fall over themselves to avoid you filling one in!

Like 0      
14 Jan 2015 7:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If the meter does not move when all is switched off, then it can't be that someone else is connected to your meter,

Unless the other person is not using any water at the time

Must be a faulty meter.

Unless for some reason the bill is correct of course

If no one at your water company is helpful, ask for a complaints form, the results are amazing , they'll fall over themselves to avoid you filling one in!

Very good advice, but for it to be effective you MUST complete the form, top page and 2 copies. 

Printed down the left hand long side, shows which copy is for you,  which for the Consumers Office, both of which you keep,  and the copy for the person you are complaining about.  Do not be put off completing  it by promises that something will be done.  If you get satisfaction no problem, if you do not then after 2 weeks take the copy to the Consumer’s Office at the town hall.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/01/2015.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 15/01/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Question on succession law in Spain - 15 posts
Fran - 3 posts
NEW! Null mortgages by the Supreme Court - 0 posts
virtual cadastral map Spain - 1 posts
€900 to put electric in my name? - 3 posts
Help and Advice on rentals in Mojon Hills - 9 posts
Reregistering a car over 25 years old. - 1 posts
driving from uk to the costa blanca - 3 posts
Dog friendly hotel near Spanish border - 0 posts
Dogs vs caterpillars, sandflies and other maladies - 3 posts
Long Term Rental Sought - 10 posts
Apartment wanted for July, August, September rental for two careful tenants. Anywhere Costa del sol. - 0 posts
Looking for Rented Property - 0 posts
New to EyeonSpain - 5 posts
Cerrado de Calderon area? primary school? good area? - 0 posts
When buying.. choosing a solicitor.. needs to be local ? / Javea - 0 posts
Room to let wanted from 3rd MARCH 2015...Malaga as far as marbella - 1 posts
Los alcazares or algorfa - 0 posts
Wintering in Spain.....we're booked! - 8 posts
Man and/or Van Needed - 2 posts
Astra - 2 posts
A question for law firms relating to major delays and speedy accountability of Banks - 0 posts
SPECIAL APPEAL – FIFI NEEDS YOUR HELP! - 0 posts
taxes - 0 posts
Piano Lessons Orihuela Costa. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x