Heating help!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Dec 2014 4:03 PM by Dumbblonde1959 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

We have just moved to Coin near Malaga. Although a little warmer than the UK it is still quite chilly! Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive way of heating our apartment. I am worried about the electricity bill as we have been using two halogen heaters. I have heard about pellet burners but not sure about them.  Do they need to be connected to a flue or can we get freestanding ones? Can anyone recommend where to buy one from?

thank you

Like 0      
24 Dec 2014 4:07 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

free standing gas heater approx 80 - 120€ from most hardware stores, gas bottles are about 17€ last ages. You will have to pay a deposit for the first gas bottle

Like 0      
24 Dec 2014 5:05 PM by Dumbblonde1959 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thank you for that - a lot cheaper than a pellet burner!!

Like 0      
24 Dec 2014 6:30 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Don't forget ventliation to avoid condensation problems.

Like 1      
25 Dec 2014 12:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When I lived in smallish house I found that once the sitting room was warm ,  even one panel on the free standing gas heater was too much.    

Solution:  I installed a simple gas tap in the rubber tube (short length of 3/8” metal gas pipe each side of the tap, and reattached the tube to each end) so I could adjust the amount of gas being burnt.  That meant I had the level of heat I wanted and maximum efficiency.

Like 1      
26 Dec 2014 12:40 PM by zumbob Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I agree with all of the above - gas is very efficient.  However, you don't get much warning when they are running out.  We have 2 bottles so that if one runs out mid evening we always have the second one to change to.

You can probably pick up used gas bottles cheaply at the markets.

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 10:15 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

some of the more expensive ones are fitted with catalytic converters and very efficient thermostats - shop around

a spare bottle is a good idea - same bottle can also run a gas barbecure for the summer!!

not sure about the suggestion of putting a tap in the tube to limit the flow and improve efficiency - i would be more worried about safety and any affect on the heater, would check with a real gas expert !! For me the easiest way to control is once the room is warm switch it off for a bit then switch back on (called a manual thermostatsmiley)

Like 2      
27 Dec 2014 10:25 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

not sure about the suggestion of putting a tap in the tube to limit the flow and improve efficiency

Gas, fires, cookers etc. had on/off taps.  Gas barbecues usually still do,  it's not rocket science

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 11:08 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Pellet stoves have come down in price quite considerably over the last 5 years or so. You can get a balanced flue free-standing unit. They are clean, effecient and fairly cheap to run. Here's a link that explains all about the systems. 

http://www.pelletking.com/pellet-stove-faq.aspx

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 3:40 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx you may be right but I would always err on the side of caution.

Remember, the regulator from the bottle providers a certain pressure regulated from the bottle pressure and the control on the heater (or barbecue) is designed to work with that pressure. by inserting another "tap" you can cause an imbalance and as you will be forcing a regulated gas pressure through a smaller hole which will increase the pressure again and may have detrimental effect on the appliance controller or even cause blow back to your main regulator.

Would not recommend this to anyone without checking with a registered gas installer

Like 1      
27 Dec 2014 4:08 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Please don't mess with ANY gas appliance or the feeds to them as all gas appliances are made to work within safe pressure limits. There is always the danger of leaks where any self-installed alterations have been undertaken which can cause explosion or the escape of dangerous fumes that can cause death. Any alterations that result in damage (or worse) would most certainly void any insurance you may have and there is always the possibility of criminal investigation if the results of your handywork are serious. 

Like 3      
27 Dec 2014 4:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The controls on my, pretty typical, barbecue (and all the gas fires and gas cookers I ever had) are in effect simple taps which go from off, right through to fully open.  Bit like turning the flame on the cooker hob, the simple cigarette lighter, and even the humble Bunsen burner used by almost very school child,  from low to high.   Absolutely nothing technical about them. 

If the amount of gas emerging is too little the flame goes out.  The safety factor with appliances using  pilot light,  is the thermocouple, which cuts off the gas to the pilot light when the flame goes out.

The regulator is to ensure the pressure is never too high, not that it is never too low.     With gas bottles, as the gas is used up, the pressure drops until just before the flame goes out when it reaches just about zero

Most here will remember the gas fire in the fireplace we all grew up with,  which was controlled by a simple tap.  You lit the match, turned on the tap and hey presto the fire lit.    It was then adjusted by turning the tap to a high or low flame and all without anything technical involved, again, just like the Bunsen Burner.

But as Woodbug says, if you do not know what you are doing, leave it alone, and that goes for just about everything else in life

This message was last edited by johnzx on 27/12/2014.

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 10:23 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Any alterations amd installations in respect of Plumbing, Gas  and Electrical works need to be undertaken by a qualified registered firm or individual and a safety boletin has to be obtained in all EU countries. Even if you think you know what you are doing - don't! You may be lucky or you and your family may not...... don't take a chance to try and save a few quid.

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 4:52 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

woodbug 100% agree with you

unfortunatley you always get the silly billy's who think they know better and put themseleves and others around them at risk

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 4:58 PM by Dumbblonde1959 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Will not do anything silly! Would rather pay an expert if we need anything doing. Neither of us are big into DIY prefer to leave it to those that know.

Like 2      
28 Dec 2014 5:08 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

dumbblonde1959 (many apologies if you thought I was referring to you - I wasn'tangel)

Will not do anything silly! Would rather pay an expert if we need anything doing. Neither of us are big into DIY prefer to leave it to those that know.

That is great advice for anyone

Shame others on here don't think the same as you but they will always try, never mind it takes all sortswink

Like 2      
28 Dec 2014 5:15 PM by Dumbblonde1959 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hey Tadd1966 - didn't think that at all!! We seriously don't do DIY if we can help it or at least gas/electric- always find a man that can!!

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Merry Christmas - 1 posts
Another government cock-up! - 0 posts
Astra Satellite - 13 posts
TEXT Santa etc - 2 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice surprise - 0 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice sorprise - 0 posts
Buyer withdraws due to Fuera de Ordenación classification - 8 posts
Cost of installing a lift/elevator? - 0 posts
easyJet luggage charges - 0 posts
Looking for a job....Orihuela Costa - 2 posts
CAJA RURAL liable of refunds in Eurohouse, Fortuna development - 3 posts
Uk Car sale - 0 posts
villa salada - 0 posts
Internet - 7 posts
replacement coping stones for swimming pool - 2 posts
Hola Malaga, looking forward to speaking to u all - 0 posts
Have you read Platero y yo? - 0 posts
5% withholding tax on sale - 5 posts
Atlas Choice - car hire brokers - 2 posts
Gotardo Rodriguez Palmera Properties - 13 posts
loans help please - 18 posts
Montemar near La Finca, Algorfa - 1 posts
Capital gains tax - 8 posts
Moving to Spain - 3 posts
Does anyone else find the "Eye on Spain" amatuerish and boring.Is it fit for 2015? - 64 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x