Registering a car in the new owners name

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 May 2014 2:59 PM by jackiebroon Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Can anyone give me advice as to what to do in my situation.  I sold my car to a .local trader last Septemeber with the agreement that he would arrange to do the paperwork for the transfer.  I have now recently received the SUMA which shows that the car is still in my name.  He has promised to pay the SUMA and do the transfer 'shortly'. In the meantime he is using the car as a rental vehicle and I am concerned that any traffic infringements will become my respondibility.  It looks like I am going to have to sort this out myself but I don't have a clue as to where to begin.  I've checked online for the necessary forms but it looks like a can of worms  Any advice would be appeciated.

Like 0      
11 May 2014 3:39 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Any road taxes, fines, accidents etc  incurred by the driver of your car will be in your name, and you will face the consequences! Imagine  what could happen in the case of a fatal car crash, charges, compensation claims etc! It could go on for years.

Apparently it is common for garages not to do the transfer until someone buys the car, as it saves them paying the transfer fee; I don't know if you can insist that they do put it in the garage's name-possibly if you paid the transfer fee;might be worth it for peace of mind. It is not aa good idea to take the trader's word that he "will do all the paperwork"  as he may never do it.

Apart from that, I think you can go to a solicitor or gestor to do "a baja" so that you are not responsible for anything that happens regarding the car.

You could contact Graham Shelton who writes in Costa Blanca News, who will advise you-just Google it. or I'm sure Johnzx will enlighten us!

Like 1      
11 May 2014 4:40 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Jackie, my advice is to be the first person in the queue tomorrow morning,  to speak with a gestor.  As Campo says,   as the registered owner all the fines etc will come to you.

Like 0      
13 May 2014 9:22 AM by jackiebroon Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies.  I've got the guy to pay for the SUMA and return the documents to me so that I can complete the transfer but now I'm waitng on him to provide passport, NIE and proof of address so that I can proceed.  If I don't get them soon can I do a baja without them?  As it stands it seems to me that he could drag this out forever.  There must be a way that I can get my name disassociated from this vehicle.  The way car transfers are handled in Spain is just a bureaucratic nightmare - surely the time has come to simplify things.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2014 7:00 AM by scotlogan Star rating in Ferndown, Dorset. 7 posts Send private message

I have just found out that I am in the same position as I recently compl;eted on my property so set up in the tax office and a few months later €110 speeding fine. Thsi was for a car I owned back in 2003-2005, when I returned to the UK, time was against me, so I left it with a couple of (so-called) friends to run it etc. and left all documents for them to do the neccessary. It seems they have not. They have also left Spain in 2009 so don't know who has the car but it's still in my name.

I have had lots of advice fly over next week to try and put some sort of a stop on it or get the police to fint it. Its quite a worry!

Like 0      
27 Jun 2014 12:25 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Go to a gestor and get a BAJA. Taken out on it, which will prevent you from any responsibility for the vehicle.

just imagine if your former car had been involved in a fatal accident, and it was still registered to you- doesn't bear thinking about!

Never leave this sort of paperwork to others. You must be there. In person to see it is done properly.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2014 12:51 PM by scotlogan Star rating in Ferndown, Dorset. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks, I am flyiong over next week and going to meet Magdallene of Zamora who is going to assist me.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mosquito window frames - 3 posts
new fishing shop - 0 posts
Refused emergency medical treatment - 13 posts
Possible forecourt scam - overcharging for fuel - 3 posts
Ryanair Complaint Letter - 3 posts
Who looks after your holiday let's? ??? - 0 posts
Anyone on here from Daya Vieja? - 5 posts
NIE numbers - 29 posts
Pet Insurance - Advice needed - 5 posts
Housing Market - latest report - 0 posts
MY FAVOURITE SPANIARD - 0 posts
Terrace Tile Grout - 9 posts
mijas town hall - 2 posts
Recommended bank accounts in Spain - 3 posts
What is the process for registering with the Social Security office in Spain? - 1 posts
The truth or lies? - 6 posts
WHY DON'T MORE SPANISH LEARN ENGLISH - 32 posts
EGM agenda - 2 posts
Do you know about VPN? - 0 posts
uk or spanish licence - 34 posts
IT IS QUITE BEYOND MY UNDERSTANDING - 11 posts
Name of beach game - 6 posts
Is this lack of info strange from an agent ? - 1 posts
Mobile phone!!! What's best deals??? - 6 posts
Inheritance Tax - 30 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x