Tax on Bicycles?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 May 2014 11:36 AM by Spanishtogs Star rating in Gales. 174 posts Send private message

We are seeing pinned-up notices at the coast (Guadarmar) and also inland at Cox, regarding what appears to be a possibility of a tax on cyclists.  (Large picture of a bicycle, and words state:  "Impuesto sobre Vehiculos de Traccion Mechanica y otros Tributos Municipales - Hasta dos de junio juntos somamos" Issued by Suma. - Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Like 0      
01 May 2014 12:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Is it maybe information regarding charges imposed if vehicles are removed.

I see that Guardamar, amongst other municipalities,  have charges shown on their web page as 17.50 euros for removing a bicycle , 25 odd for a motorcycle etc

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/05/2014.

Like 0      
01 May 2014 5:01 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Its about time bicycles and caravans were taxed for road use - bloody nuisances!

Like 1      
01 May 2014 5:57 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I'm not sure about bicycles, thats a bit much. Anyway 'tracción mecánica' applies to motor vehicles. I can't see anyone taxing bicycles. That would be ridiculous. I wouldn't say that bicylces are a nuisance either, they have just as much right to use the road a somebody who is walking along it. What would be next? to tax hikers as well? Bikes don't contaminate nor do they wear out the road, and are certainly a form of transport that should be promoted and not penalised. In my opinion.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 1      
01 May 2014 6:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I wouldn't say that bicycles are a nuisance either, they have just as much right to use the road a somebody who is walking along it.

I wonder how many here know that according to Spanish law,  anyone driving a motor vehicle which is in collision with a bike,  in law, is almost always considered to be in the wrong, even when the circumstances would obviously prove otherwise. 

It is rather like, if you hit a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing, the motorist is always wrong.

Like 1      
02 May 2014 9:46 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

HGV cabs direct vision and amendments to EU Directive 96/53 passed recently will mean massive changes to truck cab design at a huge cost which will reflect in increased haulage rates throughout Europe. These changes became law in order to lower bicycle incidents. Surely it would be more economical to provide cycle-ways, after all a rowing boat would not stand much chance of collision avoidance in the sea ferry routes and a glider would surely come to grief in a commercial flight path.

I better duck behind the parapet now as the big guns will certainly start loading after this one!

Like 0      
02 May 2014 10:08 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

How they going to make a truck cab safer for a cyclist.....Make it out of foam rubber, or elastic type stuff.

Better still why not put a pointed snow plow / cow catcher on the front, like the Yanks have, at least then the biker would get a sideways nudge out the way, and if by any bad luck they were to be "Nudged" to the left in the opposite lane, and quashed, at least the truck didn't do it.

Like 2      
02 May 2014 10:28 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Here you go Baz - the complete works, showing how all new trucks have to be designed and even some pictures showing how far away they need to be when passing a bike etc: http://www.ecf.com/wp-content/uploads/ECF-_-HGV-Vision-_-Directive-9653.pdf

EU lunacy at it's very best - why not send them your new design ideas they would probably become EU law quite quickly!

Like 1      
02 May 2014 12:45 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Well Woodbug,  is it any wonder that many want out of the EU when crap like this comes up, I also had a look at the proposed cycle route which while not taking to much notice of the 190 pages of recommendations it looks like this bunch of looneys and weirdo's want an Europe wide / length bike track, probably want a new tunnel as well to join up with the UK...Help the immigrants, no more jumping on lorries, cycle from where-ever now....Scary bit is someone gets paid to think this stuff up.

Boris Johnson (Crowned clown of London) has already passed something which by September ish all lorries that come into his lands have to have side skirts etc, in order to save cyclists from going under the wheels of lorries....The side skirts are to be made out of the same stuff they make memory foam mattress 's out of.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 02/05/2014.

Like 2      
02 May 2014 2:51 PM by PMillsom Star rating in Midlands. 469 posts Send private message

PMillsom´s avatar

"Its about time bicycles and caravans were taxed for road use - bloody nuisances"

Well they don't come much more extreme and right wing than on EoS.

Yes impatient, polluting, noisey, dangerous (by default),typically unfit/unhealth motorist do find cyclist sometimes cause their journey times to be extended by a few seconds. 

But I'm with you on the caravans :-) cheeky

Like 1      
02 May 2014 4:23 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
Johnzx said"I wonder how many here know that according to Spanish law, anyone driving a motor vehicle which is in collision with a bike, in law, is almost always considered to be in the wrong, even when the circumstances would obviously prove otherwise"
Does this include cyclists who ignore red lights pedestrian crossings and ride on the pavement at the side of the cycle Lane?
This message was last edited by scubamike on 02/05/2014.

Like 1      
02 May 2014 5:59 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Baz – Your safety ideas know no bounds. Have you thought of submitting your ideas to the EU commissioners for the Care and Safety of Bike Riding within the EU and the Sub-committee ‘Caring for riders that can’t see 15m x 4.5m trucks’?

Lord Baz MEP – Transport Secretary for the EU, has quire a ring to it, don’t you think? For those who have a diminished sense of humour......... this post is NOT serious.

Like 2      
02 May 2014 9:39 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Thanks Woodbug but me in the EU aint gonna happen, my days mixing with criminals are all but over.

The bit about Clown Boris and the trucks in London was true however and going to happen...Apparently, but for Dopey who will give me another thumbs down, the mattress bit wasn't, I made that up....Just in case you thought it was, and spent a day doing a Google on it.

Like 1      
03 May 2014 12:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Scuba:  Does this include cyclists who ignore red lights pedestrian crossings and ride on the pavement at the side of the cycle Lane?

Probably.  But be aware, that riding a bike on the footpath is not illegal in Spain.  Although I strongly think it should be.

And P Millsom, I guess you know that in Spain, like in many countries, caravans and other trailers are registered in their own right, have a number plate and 'road tax' is payable too

Like 0      
03 May 2014 12:51 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
Johnzx I thought a read somewhere recently about a new law that a pavement had to be a certain width before you could ride on it I think it was 3metres

Like 0      
03 May 2014 1:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mike,  as we know there are many different local bye laws which apply. So you could have read just about anything about just about anything !

However, I said recently elsewhere, it would be interesting, where local laws conflict with central government laws, if it were put to the test, if bye laws can supersede national laws.

Like 0      
03 May 2014 1:21 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
John Point taken If I can remember where I saw it I'll report back

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Expat rates: Get out of Britannia before you lose out - 0 posts
Changes in healthcare from 1st of July 2014 - 2 posts
Crack down on badly behaved tourists this summer - 0 posts
Tax form 720 - 25 posts
They blocked my bank account! HELP Please. - 33 posts
UK assets - 3 posts
An Infestation of Grubby and Raucous Bags of Fur - 3 posts
Really green questions - but we all have to learn to walk before we run!!! - 2 posts
Applying for "residencia" in La Linea - 8 posts
No Nudity Please - We're British!....I wish - 7 posts
SPAIN HAS A ROBIN HOOD TOO - 0 posts
PRICES STILL FALLING IN SPAIN - 21 posts
Construction works in Spain Increased by 23.9% last February - 1 posts
Any Flight Booking Experts Here? - 4 posts
HAS ANYONE IN JEREZ GOT A SPANISH SECOND HAND CAR FOR SALE? - 0 posts
English version of Modalo 210 ... How do you get an original blank TAX from - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 2 posts
URGENT 5 nights accommodation needed! - 0 posts
Banks debts - 1 posts
DOWNLOADING PHOTOS FROM LAPTOP TO A C.D.DISC. - 5 posts
Long term rental?? - 0 posts
CLeaning materials for septic tanks - 2 posts
For Sale RHD Spanish plate Peugeot 306 Cabriolete - 0 posts
Sat signal - 4 posts
CPR Condado de Alhama - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x