transferring money from Spain to France

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jan 2014 10:54 PM by gindge Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

help please! has anyone any suggestions on the easiest and cheapest way to transfer money from the sale of our spanish house to a french bank account?

thanks

gina

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 8:04 AM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

trasfer from bank account to bank account using IBAN and BIC numbers. Its free under EU regulations if the transfer is done in Euros

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 9:48 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Really? Someone better tell the Spanish banks. My bank now charges me to transfer (euros to euros obviously) from my account to another account in the same branch. Even if I do the work myself online!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 9:50 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

trasfer from bank account to bank account using IBAN and BIC numbers. Its free under EU regulations if the transfer is done in Euros

Yes, fully agree, I did the same, and also called into my bank a couple of times to keep check on the rate of the day, did it once with one of these (Well known) money transfer companies and to be honest I got only about £90.00 more, and it was more hassle then sitting in the bank and watching a loverly Spanish Lady do it with two clicks of her fingers.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 9:59 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"...if the transfer is done in Euros

...also called into my bank a couple of times to keep check on the rate of the day"

What rate?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 11:14 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

...also called into my bank a couple of times to keep check on the rate of the day"

What rate?

When I sold the last house, i put the sale money into my Spanish bank account, the Lady told me if i were to lock it in for 1-2-or 3 months she could offer me depending on the time frame a fixed rate,  interest rate going up with the longer months,  which beat any best rate in the UK at the time, so I locked it in for the 3 months,  back in Spain I asked her to transfer the money over to my UK bank, same bank, gave me the rate of the day,  we all know its up and down daily, so I called in a couple of times, was okay with the rate quoted on the third day, it had gone up by nearly 800€ extra from the first days rate quoted,  transferred it over for no cost, and was more then pleased with the extra amounts, and interest gained.

What rate it was at the time I cant now remember.

Before I ever use any money transfer agents again I would have a serious talk with the bank to see what they would offer. I won this time, maybe next time I wont.

PS...Sorry forgot to add.  NO charges what so ever were charged to me, or paid by me, what I did was all free.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 29/01/2014.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 11:25 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Which bank was this? I'm with Sabadell, and it's getting to the point now where they'll charge me if I move money from one pocket to another. And did they also let you pay in a bankers draft for the sale of your property with no charge? 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 11:33 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

"transferring money from Spain to France"

There are no charges for SEPA transfers, which are of course in Euros (so no exchange charges either).

see here for explanation:-      http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/banking/international/sepa.htm

This message was last edited by johnzx on 29/01/2014.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 11:41 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Good to know. I got clobbered last year transfering money from Spain to Gib - perhaps I should've sent it to Uk first? My bank manager lied to me - told me there'd be no charge, then charged me and refused to refund it. Silly me, i never got it in writing, taking him at his word - but he's a banker, I should've known better. 

Does make you wonder how they can justify charging to move money from one account to another within the same bloody branch though. Or does this int'l thing only apply if you're moving between accounts in the same name?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 11:45 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Which bank was this? I'm with Sabadell, and it's getting to the point now where they'll charge me if I move money from one pocket to another. And did they also let you pay in a bankers draft for the sale of your property with no charge? 

Well, now this might all change,  because when I did this it was Halifax in Torrevieja, back to Halifax in the UK...Which then changed to Lloyds....Which has now changed to....Sabadell.

Yes, they charged, Halifax Spain, to pay in the bankers draft but it was only about 7€'s can remember this because I had been told something like about 50€'s.

When Sabadell took over my friends spoke of the trouble others had with them, so perhaps all is changing now.

I will find out by how much things have changed soon, I also stopped sending Sterling over to Spain via the same banks even though via bank to bank it was free , I have gone to the money exchange shop in Torre, much better rate with cash,  and have paid that cash into my bank which also was free, perhaps not so now.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 11:55 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Well, good luck. Never was Mark Twain's famous definition of a banker more true than with Sabadell. (A banker is someone who lends you his umbrella when it's sunny, then wants it back when it starts to rain). When they were Solbank, and I had a tidy sum deposited there, they bent over backwards for me and charged me for nothing. Since I moved my deposit to Gib last year, they treat me like scum and won't even look me in the eye. It's a mystifying Spanish personality trait - they generally get poorly paid with crap conditions, and yet take everything so personally, as if their loyality to their employers is stronger than anything.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 11:58 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Roberto, You will probably remember  I posted this before aboit Solbank/Sabadell  

Solbank (now Sabadell) charged me £800 to transfer £160,000 from a sterling investment account, which had matured, to a sterling account in another bank.   (0.5% on the whole amount)   They said whatever bank I transferred to the charge would be made.  

I tried negotiating with them prior to making the transfer, and I complained like hell after, but they still made the charge.

Prior to that,  Solbank were so very helpful and obliging !

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 2:24 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

SEPA payments will not necessarily be provided free by all banks, individual banks can impose their own charges as they do now but it is expected they will be lower.

http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/payments/sepa/faq/index_en.htm#maincontentSec5

I'd put it in a plastic bag and drive it to France cheeky!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 2:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The plot thickens! Andyintorre: "transfer from bank account to bank account using IBAN and BIC numbers. Its free under EU regulations if the transfer is done in Euros"

Care to expand on the above statement? It would be good to get the definitive facts - especially on a site that's heavily sponsored by a currency exchange company that will struggle to stay in business if this is in fact true! wink

Mark Twain

Like 0      
29 Jan 2014 2:44 PM by gindge Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

dear all

many thanks for all your information in the threads!  we are with Lloyds now Sabadell which does not sound good after reading your info!  still some researching to do methinks! g

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 9:24 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I have interests in France and transfer money every month to my French bank account from my Cajamar account on line. No charges, nada. Why people stay with rip off banks such as Sabadell is beyond me. They complain how they over charge yet do nothing about it.

Like 0      
04 Feb 2014 3:10 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Well, I am with Sabadell and seem well served with no charges whatsoever, so far. Maybe you should look carefully at the terms and references for the various accounts offered.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Introducing the SHOWMAN - 0 posts
Update please Cost of a weekly shop - 22 posts
Spanish compliant bonds - 5 posts
Crisis closes 50,000 establishments in 4 years - 0 posts
Spanish Property Prices to See Further Decline in 2014, Says Moody’s - 0 posts
Gay Bars and Clubs - 2 posts
Looking for a private pyschology tutor at AS2 level - 0 posts
complaint against police - 7 posts
* Legal Property Experts * Can You Buy an Embargoed Property? - 24 posts
getting a nie number - 18 posts
easyjet and taking kitchen knives in hold luggage. a problem? - 7 posts
furniture for sale - 2 posts
Benefits Street - 9 posts
MONTILLA, NEAR CORDOBA. - 0 posts
Landline phones - 8 posts
Fuengirola Real Estate - Are they still trading? - 2 posts
ELS Legal - 0 posts
Cheap Bars and Restaurants for Sale - Bargains? - 11 posts
vaccinations needed - 1 posts
BLA BLA CAR - 2 posts
For those who seem, to keep getting fined - 4 posts
Overhauling the Social Security System for self-employed - 0 posts
Help Pensioner S1 Form, pay for prescriptions. - 3 posts
Groupon Espana - 0 posts
money taken from my bank. - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x