Landline phones

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jan 2014 2:38 PM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

We are in need of new landline phones here in England, unfortunately at the moment money is tight. Our house is up for sale and hopefully we will be moving over to Spain sooner rather than later, can anyone give me some advice about phones, obviously we dont want to buy new phones here and then find they arent compactable in Spain, so can anyone let us know if our ordinary English landline phones will be ok for use in Spain.

Many thanks

Elaine

Like 0      
24 Jan 2014 3:06 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

When we came out here back in 1996 I brought with me a "spare" phone. The wiring was different and so it did not work without excessive attention to change. It still didn't work! I doubt if things have changed.

Like 1      
24 Jan 2014 3:11 PM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

Thank you, I don't want to waste money if they aren't going to work over there.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2014 4:21 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Our neighbour brought his phones over and they worked perfectly!

If you're short of money, unlesss your house sale brings forth a lot of profit, I would think twice about moving here!

Like 0      
24 Jan 2014 4:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

When I came to Spain in 1987 I brought with me several UK phones. 

In UK three wires were needed to make a connection, (The third was to make the bell ring) in Spain it is two wires. the bell rings through one of them.   At that time it was easy to find a shop where for a few pesetas then, they would fit a Spanish telephone plug to the UK phones.

I have also installed a few UK phones for friends.

At that time they were analogue phones but I would be surprised if UK phones now will not work in Spain, with a correct plug fitted.

Like 1      
24 Jan 2014 4:31 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Unless you have an RJ11 adaptor they won't work according to my hubby (ex-tech bloke). British phone sockets have a capacitor built in which is, apparently, pretty unique. The RJ11 adaptor has a built in capacitor and, without it, the phone won't ring. He reckons you plug the adaptor into the Telefonica socket then the UK phone into the other end with a modem cable. You may also lose things like caller ID, hands free and redial etc.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2014 4:52 PM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

Thank you all so much, we will manage with the phones we have got and get new ones once we get to Spain. Thank you

Like 0      
24 Jan 2014 5:01 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

If you go with Telefonica in Spain, the monthly charges include rental for the handset.

Like 1      
24 Jan 2014 6:13 PM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Fuengirola Real Estate - Are they still trading? - 2 posts
ELS Legal - 0 posts
Cheap Bars and Restaurants for Sale - Bargains? - 11 posts
vaccinations needed - 1 posts
BLA BLA CAR - 2 posts
For those who seem, to keep getting fined - 4 posts
Overhauling the Social Security System for self-employed - 0 posts
Help Pensioner S1 Form, pay for prescriptions. - 3 posts
Groupon Espana - 0 posts
money taken from my bank. - 11 posts
2m Satellite Dish & Sky Box f/s - 0 posts
How far is the Bankia Branch in Malaga away from Malaga airport - 1 posts
La Roda for sale - 14 posts
Large US technology corporations continue to dodge the Spanish taxman - 0 posts
Fireplace and chimney - 4 posts
OH, SUCH JOY - 8 posts
FOR SALE AUTOSLEEPER MOTORHOME - 0 posts
The growing need to work together to resolve consumer property rights issues in Spain - 0 posts
RECLAIMING PRESCRIPTION COSTS - 6 posts
New to forum - 5 posts
Green Building Code Dumped - 13 posts
Sustainable Building Code Dumped - 0 posts
Non Residents Inheritance Tax in Anadalucia - 10 posts
Contradictions .... - 1 posts
Incoming Russians. Clients or Business Rivals - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x