Long term let or holiday let

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2014 14:18 by simonmaskell Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone

I have a property in Spain which I rent out on a long term let of 450 euros, but this means we cant use the property for holidays. I have put some figures together and wanted to see if you think it makes sense to rent it as a holiday let.

Current income on long term let

450 euros a month = 5400 euros a year 
Annual payment to management company of 400 euros 
So annual income of 5000 euros if no other expenses are incurred.

Workings for Holiday let

Rented for 15 weeks a year at an average of 240 euros (after cleaning costs) = 3600
Tax rebate for holiday let of 1440 euros a year
I have found a management company who will not charge a holding fee for key
So annual income of 5040 euros if no other expenses are incurred.

In the summer months the property will rent for around £350 a month and in the winter around £200 a month.

Do the above figures seem realistic ? Do you think I could rent for more than 15 weeks a year?

Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 14:35 by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

We let out our villa on short term lets and 15 weeks is about average ( before the crunch it used to be 20+)- but alot depends on the locality etc. We are on the coast and, for us, it is only viable for us to lt out in the summer. We also have a fair  electricity usage - ie 125kw is included in the price - any extra is paid by the guests. 

Do you have a garden and/or pool to maintain? This could affect your profits.





This message was last edited by randolph on 14/01/2014.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 14:51 by simonmaskell Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Randolph

Thanks for the reply

Which ever route we went down I think the costs would more or less be the same e.g. community charges

Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 15:58 by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Not sure what you mean by "tax rebate for holiday let" ?

Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 16:16 by simonmaskell Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

You can claim back tax on any losses you make on a holiday let, because  my rental income doesnt cover my mortgage I can declare a loss. It does need to be rented it out for a minimum number of weeks which I think is 15.


Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 19:06 by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Are you working on the UK system for holiday lets?

Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 19:35 by alexa Star rating. 70 posts Send private message


We have been renting our apartment out as a holiday let for 6yrs which suitts us as we spend at least 3mths of the year out here ourselves. We also rent out a few properties in the UK on long term residential basis. You are correct in thinking that you can claim a loss if your income is less than your mortgage and other costs you are allowed to offset but HMRC will not actually give you the money back. You used to be able to offset it against your tax bill in the UK but not anymore. We used to be able to offset it against our income from our UK rentals so we got a refund but all you can do now is carry the losses over so if in the future your income from your Spain  property is more than your costs you can then offset your losses from previous years.

Hope that helps


Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 19:49 by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 743 posts Send private message

I might be wrong with this reply but,

I cannot see any references to paying taxes in Spain. I believe there should be 25% paid in tax on a rental income earned whether it be from holiday or long term lets, and that there are no allowances for mortgage payments, wear and tear etc?

I'm sure that if I am wrong someone will correct me.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 20:06 by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

This is why I was asking a few questions, you are correct, any rental income obtained from a property in Spain should be declared in Spain with tax paid in Spain (24.75%) if you are a none resident, you also need to declare the income in the UK but no tax will be due (unless you are a higher rate taxpayer) as the tax rate in Spain is higher than the UK, There are allowances you can deduct in Spain but they must relate to the rental period, not sure of the circumstances of the OP so this may not apply , if the property is within a UK company for example

Like 0      
14 Jan 2014 21:23 by KathysLad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

 I agree with Longlegpete, about the allowances only being allowed for the period let. However, you also need to think about your long let. Depending on when you signed the original contract, you cant terminate  (unless they defaulting etc), your tenant is entitled to annual extension upto 5 years (if signed before June 2013) and 3 years after that date. You can only give notice for occupation by yourself. If you give that notice, and don't occupy yourself, within 3 months, then they're entitled to a new 5 or 3 year contract.


Like 0      
15 Jan 2014 03:30 by alexa Star rating. 70 posts Send private message

Hello Longlegpete
Your information on tax in Spain is not quite correct. We have our 210 form done by a legal company out here and the below statement on tax on rentals is from them
Declaration on rental income is only necessary when it significantly exceeds your expenditure.
Properties that are rented for odd weeks of the year and only just cover the annual out goings for the year (water, electric, suma, community etc etc) do not need to be declared.  The non resident tax covers the tax payment that is needed
You are incorrect in saying that you only have to declare it in the UK if you are a higher rate tax payer. You will need to do a self assesment form and declare it (there is a section on the form under the Uk property bit which says foreign rental properties) but there is no double taxation so you can offset any tax you have paid in Spain.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2014 08:53 by longlegpete Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Hi Jan

            I would have to disagree, you need to pay tax on any profit made from a rental in Spain, you can only offset the part of the running costs that relates directly to the rental period, if you rent it out for 8 weeks in the summer then the IBI cost for that period only can be offset against the rental not the whole year, same goes for all other costs, with regards to La Renta tax you can only offset the 8 weeks that the property is let out.


You may have misread my post, I was saying you need to declare in both country’s with tax paid in Spain, this would mean you would only pay UK tax if you were a higher rate tax payer in UK, this may well also be negated by the fact that you can claim more in the UK than in Spain but this would depend on personal circumstances

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Chinese supermarket near La Zenia Boulevard - 2 posts
Man Writes Lengthy Complaint To Airline - Must Read! - 1 posts
Flights big blokes - 11 posts
Cumbre del Sol - 3 posts
Gestor in Pamplona - 0 posts
The Wisdom of Carrying a Camera - 19 posts
Non EU spouse of a British national entering Gibraltar. - 12 posts
Road side fines from the Guardia - 47 posts
Getting a UK car MOT'd in Spain - 39 posts
Indoor swimming pool Fuengirola - 2 posts
Place in the Sun - 4 posts
mortgages - 5 posts
Cameron awards MBE to his barber - 5 posts
form 210 - 1 posts
Amazon.es - 2 posts
condado golf society - 0 posts
Credit where its due - 4 posts
Passinthru - 2 posts
Thinking of moving to Spain - 9 posts
What do you thing traveling can provide us happyness ? - 2 posts
installation of air conditioning units in Murcia what should I expect to pay - 1 posts
Villa PAC's - 4 posts
Feliz Navidad - 0 posts
electronic submission of form 210 - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x