residency in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Nov 2013 3:05 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me out?

A friend of mine is moving to Spain full time (in fact he's been in spain for a while). He's applying for residency and it looks like he will have to take out private medical insurance as his UK NHS reciprical cover won't work as he hasn't paid enough in - or something like that. I have heard that even EU members are being aske dot take out private policies before they are granted residency.

My questions are really more around what this means - for example if that were the requirement and once you could demonstrate that in order to get residency granted, wouldn't you simply cancel the private policy and as an EU member with residency granted, you'd be covered under the Spanish NHS system - or is that too simplistic?

If you take private insurance and aren't covered for any special conditions what would happen if you then needed treatment on those - would the spansh NHS treat you?

I welcome some clarity to any of the above.

Best regards, Carl

Like 0      
06 Nov 2013 4:42 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

UK citizens make the mistake of assuming that once in an EU country we qualify for full health care. Unfortunately that is not usually the case as many EU countries operate a contribution based system, whereas the UK operates a residency based system. We must be treated the same as a citizen of whichever country we choose to make our home, but that means if we haven't paid into their system then we don't get anything out (different rules apply for pensioners). It may not seem fair but that's the rules!

Like 0      
06 Nov 2013 5:51 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

xetog - understand your point and you are probably correct but what happens to a Spaniard if they have not contributed to the system for whatever reason - for example if they have never worked since leaving school due to lack of jobs. Will they get health care?

Like 0      
06 Nov 2013 8:53 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Well, they may be covered as a dependent of their parents upto the age of 26. Alternatively, if they are unemployed, then they would also qualify, under the riles changes introduced last year.

Like 0      
07 Nov 2013 7:43 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Thanks all, so I'm reading the reply from xetog to mena that even once residency has been granted, you don't have the right to walk into a Spanish hospital and have free healthcare?

I still don't think the issue around what's not covered in any private healthcare policy has been addressed. If for example you'd had a heart attack in the past, that likely wouldn't be covered on any private insurance - what happens if you have another once you are have residency? Who pays for that treatment?

Regards, Carl

Like 0      
07 Nov 2013 9:20 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

You do, I suppose Carl (ie the person who has had the heart attack) but to be honest I don't really know. You are probably right in assuming that private healthcare wouldn't cover serious per-existing conditions. In that case it would probably be best to join the new healthcare system for immigants to Spain, which would cover pre existing medical conditions. We don't live in Spain so just know what we read about it. I was just answering your query as to why it seems as though everyone gets free healthcare etc.in the Uk and we don't get it elsewhere in the EU!

Like 0      
07 Nov 2013 9:51 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Kathyslad

Good point but assuming over 26 and not under parents etc my point is a Spaniard who has not contributed in any way to the Spanish health care system will get full health care in Spain.

Does this then make the rule that EU citziens should get the same health care as that nations citizens a bit selective?

Is the Spanish contribution health system flawed as a result as there are many unemployed in Spain some who have contributed, others who have not contributed and some who have contributed very little (for various reasons)

It further asks the question how long do you need to contribute before it is removed. eg if you have worked legally for 6 months or 6 years when does contribution based cover run out for Spanish or non Spanish EU citizens (they should get the same cover or not covered).

Or once you have contributed are you then entiltled for life as long as you remain a resident?

Like 0      
07 Nov 2013 12:22 PM by selseyboy Star rating in Selsey,West sussex. 9 posts Send private message

Hi just started reading this and it is of interest to us as we are moving out there permanently next year.

Xetog mentions the new special arrangements as promised in the new health bill in Spain for non spaniards.

I have read that you have to have residencia for 1 year to qualify and once resident for 1 year the contribution is 60 euros per person per month. For rthat you get health cover in Spain but i have yet to read anything which expalins how much cover you get for you're money. Assuming you can do this then you would presumably only have to show that you have cover for the initial 12 months. Does anyone know more on the new special arrangements ?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Holiday rental properties wanted - 0 posts
Astra 28 degrees east new satellite free to air HD Channel. - 0 posts
Barcelona Notary Question - 4 posts
Reputable builders in san Javier area ,Murcia - 0 posts
Satellite dishes: community / municipality rules - 0 posts
URBANISATION COMMITTEE MEETINGS - 1 posts
San Jose contact required please - 2 posts
property survey - 2 posts
Legal tip 1061. Work with our team coach - 0 posts
Extra Fees to cover Shortfall due to Debtors - 33 posts
Squatters - 3 posts
Transferring U.S Dollars INTO Spain (La Caixa) - 10 posts
Looking for a campingsite in the south - 6 posts
Vista-del-Rey - 3 posts
MJV Winter Flights - Don't Believe Murcia Today! - 7 posts
satalite dish size to receive freesat in benidorm - 2 posts
New Healthcare Option for Those Without Cover - 19 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL VILLA WANTED - 0 posts
train to Granada - 6 posts
Villa/Apartment wanted for rent in or near Benelmadena - 0 posts
Landlord said against law to tranfer bills to tenants name - 7 posts
Freeview in Spain - 4 posts
Any advice on buying Spanish properties to rent to locals in Jaen region - 3 posts
Sat Dish - Help please - 2 posts
Trying To Contact L. M. at Eurobogados, Vera - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x