Valparaiso Restaurant Mijas V Villa Tiberia Marbella

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

Went to the Valparaiso restaurant for the first time last week and what a difference compared to their Villa Tiberia restaurant in Marbella.

The Brother owners at Valparaiso (VP) and Villa Tiberia (VT) make a point of coming to every table to welcome you to their restaurant and was extremely charming and the perfect host.

We mentioned to the VP owner that we were regular visitors to his brothers restaurant in Marbella and he had recommended us to come and try Valpaiaiso.

As it was our first visit he insisted the first drinks were on the house, a great start to welcome new guests to VP and the ladies were impressed. they also gave us a complimentary round of drinks when we paid the bill.

The waiting area at VP is slightly smaller than the courtyard at VT but has the same relaxing and aromatic ambiance so still all square to this point. As it was a hot evening at VP no diners were eating inside, so everyone was on the terrace

On the menu there is little difference with from memory different great choices and specials at each restaurant.

I'm going to jump a bit here and go straight to the food, the two restaurants have nothing between them when it comes to service and quality of food, both get 10/10 these were the 2 best meals we had on our holiday, and we ate at some great restaurants.

The differences are immediatly apparent when you are led to your table.

At VT you go through into the beautiful gardens, with water features and all superbly lit and sit at large tables on comfortable chairs.........at VP, vhilst the terrace dining area is admittedly smaller the panoramic views if you are near the open end of the restaurant are spectacular, however all the tables were jam packed in around the dancefloor with almost no room for the staff to move around to serve. However the service at VP cannot be complained about.

The major complaint at VP, which if you bare in mind is a long established, successful, expensive and renownd restaurant on the CDS is that we (4 adults) were all sat at a small plastic garden table ideally just for 2 on Plastic patio chairs that can be purchased from Leroy Merlins for no more than 50 euro's a set! Admittedly they are perfectly covered with clean white linen table cloths and chaircovers to disguise the fact, but when you sit down ....you just know!!!

For me this was the only downside to a fantastic evening and i cannot understand why VP dont have real tables and chairs on the terrace. The type of clientel visiting VP are generally the more discerning type, so expect some standards in a quality restaurant.

So if someone asked me for my description of the Valpariso Restaurant it would be:

"One of the best food and dining  experiences on the CDS, coupled with a panoramic view, a great singer and music to dance to till late in the night, however, if you want to go on the terrace in the cool air you are crammed in and everyone sits on nicely decorated plastic patio furniture"

I can only assume that everyone that visits VP is happy to accept these small plastic tables and chairs for the culinary delights on offer, however if VT were to ever buy some new tables for their restaurant, perhaps VP would consider taking the old ones off them and giving their diners a truely delightful evening?

Out of 10!

Venue:   VP 9    -    VT 10

Food:       VP 10   -    VT 10

Service:   VP 10   - VT  10

Entertainment: VP 10 - VT 7

Table Comfort on the terrace VP 6   - VT 10

If you've not been to Valparaiso before please dont let this report put you off as you will be missing a great evening with superb food and entertainment, just be prepared for the shock of the plastic table and chairs.

And certainly go and visit Villa Tiberia.......so thats 2 nights of your holiday sorted

Bon Appertite 

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

"A day without sunshine is like.................night"

Like 0      
31 Jul 2007 12:18 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Now thats a turn up for the book - I didnt know they were related restaurants and have dined at Valparaiso several times over the years.

8/9 years ago they had a fab reputation and really were in a league of their own, but the last time I went, I think about 2/3 years ago I was disappointed in the service and quality. The selection on the menu was good but the quality I felt was a little to be desired. Also the setting seemed rather dated and tired. The entertainment on the evening was not good, so hopefully they have improved and from your comments it seems to.

ps didnt have pl;astic chairs but then again it was winter time and we were inside - unfortunately near to the entertainment!

Certainly worth a visit, and a reason to dress up!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
31 Jul 2007 4:02 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Promedia - I have eaten at Villa Tiberio two or three times - never at VP I have to add - gotta say that for location and setting as long as you are in the garden it is real quality - this I am afraid is where our summations seem to part company - while the food is passable I would say that I have eaten significantly better quality and for less money - yes it is good but for the prices they charge particularly with the starters I think they should do better. God and wallet willing I will go there again but only to sit in the gardens not specifically for the food. 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
31 Jul 2007 10:49 PM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

hi smiley,

As eating out in nice restaurants is a great part of our regular stays on the CDS we are always looking for some good recommendations. I would be really interested to hear where you feel was better quality and lower cost.

promedia

Ian Cook - Golf Gardens Miraflores - The best place to live on the Costa del Sol

Like 0      
01 Aug 2007 12:24 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi promedia in Marbella itself I reckon that you cant beat Beckits - it hasnt got the garden but the food is fabulous - not cheap by any means but for my dough better value than Tiberio. If you ever go down Cancelada way there is a restaurant there called La Posada - quite small and by no means as grand as Tiberio but the food is brilliant - the prices excellent and the service very friendly - it is always busy (even on the dead nights of the week and a lot of local trade both Spanish and Brit), for something a little different try Garum on the Paseo Maritimo in Marbella - nice to look out over the sea and some interesting dishes. At one time would have recommended the Da Brunos chain except paseo Maritimo but lately they seem to have gone off track. In N Andalucia Pasta Cafe is superb for pasta and pizzas - a bit bistro style but I have to say the best pasta I have ever had and the owner (Brit) takes a real interest in his food and eats his way through the menu to ensure no glitches (not every day). These are but  a few of many - happy hunting and eating!! Try El Oceano in Riviera - El lago in Elviria has just been awarded a Michelin Star - only had lunch there but was very nice. Alberts in Cabopino - great for Sunday lunch and dinner good too. There are more but I could go on and on and on. 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
01 Aug 2007 8:25 PM by promedia Star rating in Cheshire/Riviera del.... 134 posts Send private message

Smiley

Thanks for these, a couple i have already been to, a couple a bit to far from Riviera del sol and one i have now crossed off my list after many years. Alberts has received a lot of adverse comments over the past couple of years where there appears to have been a lot of slippage in the business, which obviously resulted in them selling it. lets hope the new owners dont just try and continue on doing the same thing, they will be tarred with the same brush, the menu whilst reprinted (Spot the spelling mistake on Alberts on the first page!!!) hadnt changed last week! If i were new owners i'd like to think that i could improve on something that needed fixing, rather than believing nothing was wrong and just carrying on, obviously it has a great reputation and tourists want to go there, but they need them to go back again and again and tell their friends positive things not negative.

As a matter of interest, where would you recommend Mijas or Benahavis and which restaurants are the best in both towns?

cheers

Like 0      
02 Aug 2007 4:01 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

In Mijas I have never been able to find something that is not touristy - although I have looked several times. Have decided Mijas generally is not for me as every time i have been there there are too many camera flicking visitors and when the weather is bad (no tourists) whats the point?

Benahavis - went to a great place up there a few years back but cant remember the name - again its not really for me because of my hatred of the human race and its desire to clog the streets with parked cars - dont like driving up there only to find a policeman who turns you round and sends you back owing to the lack of parking but I will put some feelers out to try and remember the name.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

2 GB Sony Memory Cards for sale Pro duos - 0 posts
New or Nearly New Sofa Required - 0 posts
Diesel and Petrol Prices in Spain - 0 posts
New to the site - 5 posts
Toys desperately needed CB south - 4 posts
House names in Spain - 10 posts
Replacement remote control for Rocca Air Conditioning - 0 posts
New boy needs advice - 3 posts
The little yellow stars - 22 posts
Hallo - 10 posts
Bought some bits and pieces today - 47 posts
Small van/Big van any where in Spain... - 3 posts
When is a child not a child? - 2 posts
Where inland? - 5 posts
Caryn NY - 2 posts
Hi from Alan & Elaine - 6 posts
Key holder/cleaner/handover person wanted for Aloe on Valle Del Este - 1 posts
SMILEY APOLOGISES - 2 posts
Where to Live in Spain...and Why? - 69 posts
How long - 7 posts
Manilva Park - 12 posts
New Passport Delivery Service in Spain - 4 posts
holistic therapy ? - 4 posts
thinking about work - 11 posts
Compensation for Late Completion of Property - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x