IS THE SIESTA OUTDATED

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2013 7:55 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Much of the year, especially during July and August, Spain’s towns are overwhelmed by tourists. To me, a northern European, it seems bizarre that for most of the afternoon they are ghost towns.

I recently went into my own town centre as I had a need to visit Correos. Apart from a few pavement cafés the only business open was the post office. My large tourist-based city had the appearance of town after a neutron bomb attack. The buildings were intact but otherwise there was just the occasional cat or person to be seen.

Sure, to ‘compensate’ most businesses open at 5 pm. Surprise! Surprise! Similar businesses, many tourist dependent and situated throughout Europe, are open through the afternoons and the evenings too.

The business community’s ears are closed to the mayor’s exhortations that they kick the siesta into touch. He has a point. The siesta is a throwback to life before tourism, fans and air conditioning. How can it be justified now?

A friend in the UK manages a substantial importing business. When new to the job she emailed me. She had a problem when calling a business in Spain. All she got was a recorded message, which she could not understand.

This recorded message explained the hours of opening. They were definitely not European hours. Mi amigo is under his sombrero enjoying his zzzzzzzzzzzzzs.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 8:51 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

If the shops and offices stayed open all day, 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, that would mean more staff, more electricity etc. and probably no significant increase in sales, so a net loss.

Where increased hours leads to more sales then establishments do tend to provide extended hours of service.   

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 10:54 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Mike

This is Spain and they will almost certainly continue with the siesta. And why not? I for one would not want Spain to become like ghastly Britain! The supermarkets, at least the larger chains, are open through the day, as are the ubiquitous chinese emporea. You have lived here a while now, you should stop complaining. When I was in Ireland years ago the shops in the small towns were invariably shut just at the time I wanted to use them. Adapt and enjoy.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 11:02 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Shopping centres do open all day. Most of them from 10am to 10pm and even later in some cases. However, in this heat, walking around a town would be unbearable which is why most of these close as shoppers simply do not want to trudge the streets in the heat of the day. Shopping centres are generally shady, airconditioned areas so not as bad.
The annoying bit are the banks and offices which generally have aircon but close as that's the way it's always been.
When we lived in Cyprus, the afternoon closing was only July and August which made a bit more sense.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 11:15 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Macbernard, where did your comment "like ghastly Britain!" come from.  It seems to me that a lot of ex-pats feel the need to run down the UK to justify their current choice of location.

But getting back to the thread I reckon the siesta makes a lot of sense this time of year and I indulge a bit that way myself sometimes, which makes eating out late at night even more enjoyable.  But I'm not convinced that the siesta is justified for the rest of the year and what bobaol says about Cyprus seems more logical.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 8:34 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The siesta is a Spanish years old way of life not some sort of throwback to anything, everybody in Spain knows to do shopping when the shops are open, easy.

If they nocked it on the head they might then start to close like most do in the UK at about 6pm, then to some in Spain that would be wrong. And as for a friend running importing,  she was new to the business, and couldn't understand the message, bet she does now if she wanted to get on, so whats the problem?

Spain isn't England, cant handle that fact stay away, easy.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

car excess - 0 posts
Legal action in UK over spanish properry debt - 25 posts
NIE APPLICATION - 14 posts
MY SPANISH HERO - 0 posts
Theft -a warning to all - 10 posts
Refund Process La Caixa - 0 posts
Promotion Internationals calls for 0€ throughout 2013 - 0 posts
Certificate of Energy Efficiency - 2 posts
Goldcar Car rental has just cheated me - 19 posts
New to the site but need some advice. - 7 posts
Cost of living UK / Spain - 0 posts
If the UK were to give back Gibraltar, what would the Spanish do with it? - 13 posts
Removing property from public register - 4 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID - 0 posts
IS THE CORRECT WAY TO SPELL RECESSION c.o.m.p.l.a.c.e.n.c.y - 0 posts
Hi - Moving to Javea, Costa Blanca in October - a few questions! - 2 posts
Cheapest way to dial uk landlines and mobiles from a spanish landline - 5 posts
Transfer of 10k Euros from Spain (La Caixa "Resident" Account) to UK - 7 posts
Table Tennis - 4 posts
Spanish Practice - Atrévete! - 2 posts
Wood prices spain - 4 posts
Sabadellacam - 0 posts
The Costas' Best Towns and Cities - 24 posts
Fit Out Murcia - 0 posts
Gibraltar ownership - is it merely a political distraction? - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x