Wood prices spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2013 5:46 PM by Jasond Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

we bought a cortijo in nortern almeria a few months ago. We have to do some work to it, for example a new roof on one part of the property. A lot of the work is carpintery which is a good thing as we have a carpintery at home in belgium (for now), this is what we do. We just returned from spain, we where there for a month but this was a bit short to look into everything that was needed. We do know that wood prices are at least double of the belgian variant. Because of our carpintery it would be very easy and sheap for us to buy the wood over here where we can also work on it. The thing is transport is also quit expensive as our truck can only load a limited amount of wood which is not enough and we were not able to get accurate prices of the exact wooden products we need. 

Maybe somebody knows what are more or less the prices of the following products or similar in the region (or spain in general), the measures don't have to be exact just an indication of what are the ones we would need:

-triplex plates of 6mm  (thin plywood 0,24 inch) (cheapest wood type)

-osb boards 

-pine beems (cls) 90mmx38mmx3,90m  (3,5inchx1,5inchx13 foot)

-tile battens 27mmx38mmx3,6m (1inchx1,5 inchx12 foot)

-wall battens 22mmx45mmx3,90m (0,9inchx1,77inchx13 foot)

And finally, it is not wood but we don't know where to find it over there and don't have an idea of the price either: 

plasterboard (2,60mx1,2mx9,5mm) (8,5footx4footx0,4inch)

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Like 0      
12 Aug 2013 3:22 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I don't know much about prices. Ask at your local builders' supplies maybe?

I am currently in the process of renovating a property, and at some point in the project I will be replacing the entire wood of the roof structure (pitched roof, tiles on wooden battens and beams). The property is circa mid 1960s and I was quite suprised by the poor state of the wood as we investigated it. The beams are cracked extensively and there is a lot of rot and also some woodworm. Some beams are sagging through and this has caused tiles to fall. I guess this is a combination of the climate and the use of cheap pine. To avoid a repeat,I would recommend spending a bit more and going for more durable types of wood.

I am planning to have the work done by a local carpenter, but look forward to hearing how you fare in doing it yourself.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2013 4:15 PM by Jasond Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi,

thanks for your message.

From what i hear from you it might also be that the battens and beams of the structure are not thick enough?
There should be nothing wrong using pine I think, as long as it is from acceptable quality. This is also what we were going to do. I don't know if the climate could have this kind of effect to the wood, as it is less humid, less rainy.

The property of which we have to change the roof is maybe 7 years old. It was constructed in a fairly bad way, and covered with steel plates. We have a lot of wind (upto 60ml/h) which makes it eager to take off, a part of it already did once and was temporary repaired. 

This project is something i do together with my parents, my father is a carpenter as you already might have understand in my previous message. So i will change the roof together with him. He has a lot of experience in roofs so it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't recommend doing it not having the experience. But i will certainly pass your experience with your roof through to him so we can take it into account. Thank you very much and good luck renovating your property. Apart from the roof ours is more modernising than renovating, actually. As i said it is all fairly new.

kindest regards,

Jason

Like 0      
30 Aug 2013 9:35 AM by spaniola Star rating in Jaen. 22 posts Send private message

Surely your architect plans stipulate size of beams needed?

Like 0      
30 Aug 2013 10:02 AM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Concerning my roof, my surveyor told me that one shouldn't assume that just because Spain has an apparently dry climate that damp rot is not an issue. You only need to look at the state of moisture damage in many older houses to see that is not so. He did recommend replacing the beams by slightly thicker ones and that is what we are going to do. We are also increasing the pitch of the roof slightly as the wind can drive water droplets up against the pitch of the roof and cause it to wetten the battens.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sabadellacam - 0 posts
The Costas' Best Towns and Cities - 24 posts
Fit Out Murcia - 0 posts
Gibraltar ownership - is it merely a political distraction? - 12 posts
From USA to Spain.... - 6 posts
FIRST EYE ON SPAIN WEDDING? - 38 posts
Los Alcazares - Are there any traditional 'old town' restaurants within 20/25 mins - 17 posts
Villa or Country House Wanted in Murcia - 0 posts
Renault Trafic T1100 - 0 posts
VISA free travel? - 1 posts
THE INVISIBLE DICTATORSHIP OF KNAVES AND FOOLS - 1 posts
How to change my avatar - 18 posts
Long Term Rentals on EOS - 1 posts
Spanish law regarding communal areas - 1 posts
Balconing - Does this get any coverage back in the UK? - 2 posts
Mortgages on houses with no licenses - 2 posts
New rules for community of owners.Part II - 11 posts
AGM votes - majority or unamimous - 12 posts
Under age drinking at Condado - 6 posts
New rules for community of owners.Part I - 1 posts
Crowd-funding: a solution for Spanish Entrepreneurs? - 2 posts
registering an english vehicle in spain - 5 posts
Car rental through Do You Spain /Goldcar - 12 posts
Where to live? A few ideas please. - 22 posts
Taxis - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x