Recession! Really?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2013 8:17 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Many suffer from the recession which is regrettable but for all the gloomy accounts of Spain’s economy, many putting it on a par with Greece, there is little evidence of true austerity where I am. Nadia and I last night decided on an evening’s aperitif in Guardamar, hardly the Las Vegas of the Costas.

No chance, there wasn’t a parking space to be had. It had all the hallmarks of a boom town. Restaurants were filled to overflowing, everyone well dressed and the only inexpensive car was mine. In despair of finding anywhere to park we tried Torrevieja. The restaurants there and elsewhere were overflowing. I know it is the height of the tourist season but they are largely Spanish tourists. Telling someone Spain was in deep trouble would have been a difficult pitch to sell.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
21 Jul 2013 11:29 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Perhaps that's the Spanish spending their "black" money. Mike.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2013 11:49 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Grins! Prevented me from spending mine. Good luck to them however it came.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
21 Jul 2013 4:36 PM by bradders Star rating. 40 posts Send private message

It is high-season now after all, so I guess with the sudden influx of Spanish and foreign tourists this will be the time when everywhere will be doing good business. Perhaps people will only take one instead of two weeks holiday, but l don't think it is a surprise that you found it so busy.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2013 7:50 AM by Geoff y Pat Star rating in Torre Guil / Sutton .... 90 posts Send private message

Hi Mike, I had the same feeling as your heading states when my wife and I went to see Julio Iglesias last year. I believe there were about six thousand people at the concert, one area was for standing only and cost 35 euros a ticket. (2000) We pushed the boat out and paid 125 euros each thinking we were very close to the stage, no way we were about 25 rows back and sitting on cheap plastic patio chairs and we were on a football pitch. The front row seats were 300 euros each and were sold out.
I spoke to one of my Spanish neighbours later and he said no price is too much to see Julio???
Anyway it was a good show although he's not quite the singer he was.

Geoff

Like 0      
23 Jul 2013 6:47 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Where I live it is buzzing and far busier than last year. It certainly doesn’t add up to recession. Such prices for hose seats! OMG. I thought I was splashing out when I bought one of his CDs for €10. Oh well, all part of life’s RICH tapestry.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2013 9:55 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Come on - unemployment is at 40% not 100%!!!    And a lot of those are very young.   There are still plenty of pretty well off families, especially in Madrid - look at the football.  Every time I go, the Bernabeau is HEAVING.   Around me, it is Spanish families buying up the very cheap properties for their kids.   So while times are hard for a lot of people, they are not for everyone, and those people will continue to enjoy holidays - why would they not?     If you want to see the effects of the recession on Spain, go to the UK and talk to some of the young Spaniards who have had to leave to find work!!!!!!!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

B7 G4 071D Condado de Alhambra -La Isla - 2 posts
Learning Spanish .... - 2 posts
"Spanish as she is really spoke" !!! - 0 posts
New tax rules - 3 posts
How do you rate Spanish drivers - 46 posts
Courier Service, Torrevieja - 1 posts
La Tomatina - 7 posts
anyone know of very good pool companies in torrevieja area of costa blanca - 1 posts
De registering from the Spanish tax system - 10 posts
phoning turkey from spain - 10 posts
EHIC vs Travel Insurance - 0 posts
Private and public healthcare - 0 posts
About to complete on property should I change the locks? - 5 posts
Has anybody bought our apartment - 1 posts
Looking to buy in Comares - 0 posts
Dog Whisperer - 4 posts
So This Is Why The Spanish Are Lazy - 26 posts
Albox Navy Club - 0 posts
ITV in Spain and changing to Spanish Plates Help Wanted. Please - 20 posts
Spain's Black Economy - 20% GDP - 28 posts
Has anyone tried 'La Vid de Ojeda' in Los Alcazares - 9 posts
House Purchase transfer tax % query - 4 posts
Visa Downloads for visiting Gibraltar - 3 posts
Changes to services provider for premiership football. Al Jazeera (JSC) wins rights. - 0 posts
Top Gear Spain BBC 2 Sunday Night - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x