Gestorial services before we go?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jun 2013 9:32 AM by BB1977 Star rating in North Wales. 12 posts Send private message

We have so many questions and things to check before we definitely make the decision to go!!  We really really want to go but so many i's to dot and t's to cross.

Using forums such as this are great for getting advice and finding more information and peoples experiences but you will always get conflicting advice.

Anyway as per the thread title is it possible to seek the advice of a professional Gestor before we go?  Is there such a thing as an online service?  Or maybe someone knows of somebody in the UK who could answer all our numerous questions (predominantly about taxation, social security entitlements, etc etc!!).  Or maybe somebody in Spain who could advise us now?  (we're wanting to move to Andalucia).

We obviously would be willing to pay for this service!

Thanks,

Claire

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 10:49 AM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

You could contact the Spanish consulate in the UK for a list of gestors who are bilingual and work in the UK.   Alternatively contact the Spanish Chamber of Commerce in London.  If you google it, it will give you the contact details.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 2:22 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Claire:

What are your questions?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 2:32 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Claire, as I said in answer to another question of your :  

If you want to know for sure asked a gestor, or better still  a qualified Spanish Accountant.

And as you said:-

Using forums such as this are great for getting advice and finding more information and peoples experiences but you will always get conflicting advice.

You did not add, and that can lead to total confusion.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 3:02 PM by BB1977 Star rating in North Wales. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Maria,

We have so many questions and things that need clarifying.

1.  The biggest issue is health care.  I already have a thread on this in the "Healthcare in Spain" subforum.  Already there is conflicting advice!  Please take a look, but basically I need to know can we pay voluntarily into the social security system to enable us to have state provided healthcare? (2 adults under 40 and 2 young children).  We will not be working in Spain. 

2.  We will be renting out 1 or 2 properties in the UK.  Do we pay tax on this income in the UK only or Spain only? 

3.  What is the latest we could register a child at school (7 years old)

4.  We had my daughters surname legally changed in this country (by court order), however I believe this would not be recognised in Spain, how would this effect enrolment in school and other registrations (e.g. her birth certificate surname differs from her passport (legal) name..

So many more question but If you can help or point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,

Claire/

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 3:20 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

4.  We had my daughters surname legally changed in this country (by court order), however I believe this would not be recognised in Spain, how would this effect enrolment in school and other registrations (e.g. her birth certificate surname differs from her passport (legal) name..

Technically one cannot 'legally' change their name in the UK, that said, there is no law which says they cannot.  So being the UK. one can change their name, even under Common Law by just saying,   'As of  today my name is John Brown. .....'

When a woman changes her name in the UK to her husband's, that is only custom an not law and amounts to a change of name, as it would if she had changed her name without marrying.  Incidentally, the same applies in Eire.

Even when using Deed Poll, one only registers the fact that they have changed their name. It is not part of the process.

My husband changed his name in the UK after he bought a property in Spain, which he has now sold and has since sold bought and sold in his new name several times. I changed my name on my passport some months after I married my husband. I used a combination of his surname and mine. No problems.

2.  We will be renting out 1 or 2 properties in the UK.  Do we pay tax on this income in the UK only or Spain only?

It is taxable in the UK, but I have read on here that one must declare it to Hacienda and may have to pay a 'top up' tax on the income.

You will liable to Capital Gains Tax in Spain if you sell it after you are tax resident in Spain.  You may also have a liability in UK too.

This message was last edited by elaineG on 05/06/2013.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 4:07 PM by BB1977 Star rating in North Wales. 12 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info.  :-)

The surname issue I do need to know about though as I want her new name to be recognised by the Spanish authorities for school enrolment in Spain

This message was last edited by BB1977 on 05/06/2013.

This message was last edited by BB1977 on 05/06/2013.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 4:36 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/06/2013.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/06/2013.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 4:39 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Claire,  

Sorry I thought I made it very clear that it will not be a problem and I went into a long explanation to re-assure you.

Every person,   including every woman who gets married in UK and in many other countries, who changes her name, does so in exactly the same way you have done with your child, and, if you are married and have changed your surname to your husband’s, as you have done too,  and that is never a problem in Spain.

The name in the passport is your name.

As I said, I am speaking from my own experience as well as extensive research

Elaine

This message was last edited by elaineG on 05/06/2013.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2013 5:36 PM by BB1977 Star rating in North Wales. 12 posts Send private message

Sorry Elaine, I did misunderstand!! Thanks for clarifying!!

Claire

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 3:34 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Hi Maria,

We have so many questions and things that need clarifying.

1.  The biggest issue is health care.  I already have a thread on this in the "Healthcare in Spain" subforum.  Already there is conflicting advice!  Please take a look, but basically I need to know can we pay voluntarily into the social security system to enable us to have state provided healthcare? (2 adults under 40 and 2 young children).  We will not be working in Spain. 

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinSpain.aspx

2.  We will be renting out 1 or 2 properties in the UK.  Do we pay tax on this income in the UK only or Spain only? It depends on if ypoui become spanish tax resident or not.

This link might help: http://costaluzlawyers.es/images/guides/spanish_taxes_free_guide.pdf 

3.  What is the latest we could register a child at school (7 years old) Schooling is guaranteed at any time.

4.  We had my daughters surname legally changed in this country (by court order), however I believe this would not be recognised in Spain, how would this effect enrolment in school and other registrations (e.g. her birth certificate surname differs from her passport (legal) name.. That change, if legally made in the UK, will be fully recognised in Spain. Just proceed to registrate her according to her legal last name which is the new one. Change in paassport is advisable to be done before coming over to Spain in order to avoid complications.

So many more question but If you can help or point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,

Claire/

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Has anyone used a buying agent? - 7 posts
Trying to find a person who installs log burners and install alarms in Balsicas in Murcia - 3 posts
Wanted - Long Term Let - San Miguel De Salinas area - 0 posts
Stephie - 0 posts
taking car to Spain - 4 posts
Paying voluntarily into social security? - 11 posts
Long Term Rental - 3 posts
The Party Spaniardo - 0 posts
What are you thinking when you are driving alone? - 4 posts
Calahonda Car Boot - 2 posts
looking to rent LONG TERM 15k radius of Torrevieja, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Help needed please - 2 posts
wifi in Andalucia - 0 posts
Handing back the keys to the bank. - 9 posts
Sad news about Julia Sinclair (Jules1) - 7 posts
Inconsistent judicial rulings, BG malpractice and ongoing concerns re consumer rights - 2 posts
looking for house to rent long term - 5 posts
Business Opportunities - 4 posts
Can anybody suggest how I can get my house valued for insurance - 3 posts
JUSTICE FOR SOME AT LAST - 0 posts
gardenfurniture area Heredades-Almoradi-Torrevija - 0 posts
Screwfix - 1 posts
Online banking from the UK - 2 posts
Transfer of car? - 2 posts
HELP in La Marina - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x