taking car to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2013 2:12 PM by Isabella2 Star rating. 50 posts Send private message


Off to Spain later in the year with my car. Ford Focus,

Do I need to adapt my car in any way? i.e headlights etc

thanks on advance


Like 0      
04 Jun 2013 2:37 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi, depends how long you are going for. I believe you can use those sticker things on the headlights for short term (holidays).

I know that both times I've imported cars there, I had to physically change the headlights, and it ain't cheap! the best idea would be to try to take a car with adaptable lights as some of the better makes have now. This allows you to amend the beam to the correct postion according to which side of the road you are driving on. We also had to have one of the rear lights, (I guess the reversing light) moved to the other side too in order to pass the spanish MOT.

if you're going for holiday, remember to also have 2 x triangles in the car, spare bulbs, a hi-vis jacket and a first aid kit. This i understand is all law and if stoppped and you don't have it, you'll likely be fined.

You also have ot carry your driving licence at all times while drfiving and have insurance docs in the car at all times, and you can't drive in flip flops.

Many people ignore many / al of the above and it's fine, until you get stopped then it A FINE :)



Like 0      
04 Jun 2013 5:22 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message


This advice is for people visiting Spain, not for those importing vehicles..
It is recommended that you modify headlights.    You can use electrical insulating tape instead of buying shaped stickies.
MO   After dark, or in dark garage, park about 5 metres in front of a wall on reasonable level ground..
Cover one H/lamp, you can then see the pattern on the wall. 
Dip the lamps and using something like a non clear plastic ruler,  move it across the h/lamp glass.
You will see where you need to put the tape to cut off the high part of the dipped beam. 
Repeat for other lamp.
Two warning triangles, a hi-viz jacket for each person in the car, which is stored in the car so that the jackets can be put on before to leave the car in an emergency situation.  See the 'highway code' info below.
Spare bulbs and tools to change them have not been a requirement for a couple of years, (as with modern cars its almost impossible to change the bulbs by the roadside).
If you wear glasses to drive, you must have a spare pair in the car.
If you are not the registered owner and he/she is not in car, an authorisation, in Spanish for the person to drive the car.
The vehicle registration book and D/L must be carried at all times when driving.
Just like UK you must wear reasonable footwear. i.e. stout shoes.  
Just like UK, no loose items in the car as they could cause injury in an accident
Also be aware, that if you are fined, as a visitor, you will need to pay the fine on the spot, or the car will be removed to the pound until it is paid, incurring the extra costs of removal and the pound storage charges.   So carry enough cash / credit card etc..
Its probably a good idea to go on line and at least look through the ‘Spanish Highway Code’  See http://www.getspain.net/motoring_177068.html 
There are significant differences between Spanish and UK laws of the road..
That’s all I can think of just now, Others may be able to help with other things you should know.


This message was last edited by elaineG on 04/06/2013.

This message was last edited by elaineG on 05/06/2013.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 10:10 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Thanks Elaine, I think I was broadly on track, but good to get the proper definitions from you.



Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 10:52 AM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

 Also, I think im right in saying, if you drive through France, you have to have a brethalyzer kit.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paying voluntarily into social security? - 11 posts
Long Term Rental - 3 posts
The Party Spaniardo - 0 posts
What are you thinking when you are driving alone? - 4 posts
Calahonda Car Boot - 2 posts
looking to rent LONG TERM 15k radius of Torrevieja, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Help needed please - 2 posts
wifi in Andalucia - 0 posts
Handing back the keys to the bank. - 9 posts
Sad news about Julia Sinclair (Jules1) - 7 posts
Inconsistent judicial rulings, BG malpractice and ongoing concerns re consumer rights - 2 posts
looking for house to rent long term - 5 posts
Business Opportunities - 4 posts
Can anybody suggest how I can get my house valued for insurance - 3 posts
gardenfurniture area Heredades-Almoradi-Torrevija - 0 posts
Screwfix - 1 posts
Online banking from the UK - 2 posts
Transfer of car? - 2 posts
HELP in La Marina - 0 posts
Taking tennis rackets on Ryanair? - 11 posts
Advice Please wanted, Thinking of moving to spain Marbella area or Alicante , or other but unsure and need advice - 12 posts
Car Wanted in Barcelona - 0 posts
desperatly looking for all types of tradesmen in marbella area - 3 posts
another NIE number - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x