another NIE number

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 May 2013 12:27 PM by Petethornton Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Years ago I was working in Ibiza and got an NIE number. Since then I have had another UK passport issued and am thinking about trying to get another NIE number issued with the different passport number.

Will this work for me or will they just give me the old one back. I seem to remember a we bit of tax being owed from my old bank account in Spain hence the attempt at a fresh start.

I'm a little apprehensive about going into a Spanish Police stations incase that arrest me? Wouldn’t have been more than 2k owing

Pete

Like 0      
31 May 2013 12:37 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The NIE has no expiry date and in normal circumstance last forever, and getting anew passport (with a new number) makes no difference. 

I even changed my name and passport, and now have dual nationality, but have kept my NIE.  My wife also added my surname to her surname and again she kept her Residencia number (she is non EU so has Residencia)

I have never heard of anyone cancelling their NIE, albeit that people do and have cancelled their Residencia, when it existed, and their EU Citizen's Registration now.

(Not that one should assume) but I 'assume'  the NIE stays with one forever.

Like 0      
31 May 2013 1:29 PM by Petethornton Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hey Johnzx

Thanks for your reply, I think that you're right.

I was kinda thinking that if I turned up at the police station with new passport they may issue me a new NIE without cross refrencing my name with my date of birth etc, as I imagine that there will only be one Peter Thornton with the same date of birth as me in Spain.

As far as the outstanding tax from years ago, do you think that they'll hold me there untill I cough up the money?

Pete

Like 0      
31 May 2013 1:40 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In Spain, if no action has been started to recover a debt for a clear 4 years (that usually is taken and 5 years) then it cannot be demanded. 

However, if say a letter was sent demanding it,  then it extends to recovery period, but I don't know what that actually means in practice.

Like 0      
31 May 2013 1:49 PM by Petethornton Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Cool, cheers John.

I think that I'll just go in there and see what happens. I really just want to buy a car here in Barcelona and understand that you can't get one without a NIE.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

NEED SWIMMING POOL CLEANER - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE? - 5 posts
New Member who would really value some local information on Vera Playa - 1 posts
Shared ownership of a property - 10 posts
TRADING IN SPAIN FROM MY MOBILE CATERING TRAILER - 5 posts
moving to spainandneedong ileostomy supplies ? - 1 posts
Minimum income - 9 posts
NIE certifcates - 2 posts
Would you rely on your "European Health card" in Spain and travel without Insurance ? - 61 posts
Recommendation for car hire company at Almeria airport - 4 posts
Borrador de Delcaracion Pendiente de Confirmar - 5 posts
Incapacity Pension - 0 posts
Economy Car Rentals - 4 posts
Model flying clubs near torrevieja - 1 posts
Residency and UK / Spanish car query - 6 posts
Apple Store in La Cañada - 8 posts
Bank help needed , please - 10 posts
Amazing Bar And Club In Denia partner / investor sought - 4 posts
Need advice on renting properties and costs of living in Fuengirola Area - 0 posts
Buying a car in Spain, new NIE Number - 5 posts
robert boyd - 2 posts
paying into the spanish social system - 2 posts
swimming pool cleaners - recommendations - 0 posts
time to buy in Spain?? - 23 posts
Has Spain "lost its way" in Tourism ? - 9 posts
Easyjet new hand baggage rules... May 2013 - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x