Residency and UK / Spanish car query

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 May 2013 2:45 PM by nikquinn Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hello, forgive me if this has been answered many times before but I seem to be reading lots of conflicting advice with regards to driving a UK car in Spain. I have a number of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me out please. 

I moved over here in May (this year) and I got my NIE and registered with the Padron. 

I am currently driving my UK registered car, fully legal, it has MOT, Tax disc and Insurance. 

My questions are 

- if I become a spanish resident does that mean I cannot drive my UK car here anymore? 

- If I become a spanish resident and I purchase a spanish car can I use my UK (photcard driving licence) 

- If I decide to get my car converted to Spanish plates, can I drive this on my UK license. 

- If i can still use my exisiting licence can I just change the address to my spanish address. 

I have no objections to becoming a resident as I have no plans to return to the UK and my children are in school here, I am more concerned about being fully legal in a country I am now living in. 

Apolgoise for the number of questions. 

Like 0      
28 May 2013 3:27 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
You're just posting to get the ten different replies, aren't you?
However, here's my 10 centimos worth.
Once you register on the EU citizens list, commonly called residency, you have 30 days in which to change to Spanish plates but a maximum of 6 months if you don't.
You can use your UK photo license for up to 2 years. (That answers 2 points as it covers you for a UK or Spanish car)
You can't change the address on a UK license to one outside UK.

I will now stand back and await the obligatory 9 other differing opinions.
However, changing your license to a Spanish one is quite simple, doesn't cost much so why not do it? All the opinions on being legal, requiring medicals etc will then become moot. If you do return to UK, you can change the Spanish one back to a UK one.

Like 0      
28 May 2013 3:47 PM by nikquinn Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks bobaol, haha no trust me the last thing I'm after is a zillion responses, just the right ones :) 

I have no objection to changing my license to a spanish one, but I wasn't sure if I could drive my UK car if I changed.  I need to keep my UK car at the moment as financially I'm not in a position to pay out for a new/second hand car, so at least once I get my residency I know I have 6 months grace to which I can potentially sell mine in the UK and then get one over here. 

I've read so many things about what is legal whats not I'm starting to feel a bit scared to go out in the car !! 

Many thanks, this for the clarification . 

Like 0      
28 May 2013 4:01 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Once you get your residency, you only have 30 days in which to rematriculate the car to Spanish plates.  The 6 months only applies if you don't take out residency.  (I believe, officially, if you intend to take out residency you only have 30 days from date of entering the country before someone jumps on me.  However, that would be a bit pedantic).

Like 0      
28 May 2013 4:04 PM by nikquinn Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

ah ha, I see, hmmm leaves me unsure of what to do now.. maybe think about residency when I have the cash to get a car.. its all so blinking complicated... 

Like 0      
28 May 2013 5:29 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

bobaol is correct in all his replies. Your problem is that ,regardlss of registering on the EU register, you are a resident already by virtue of the children being in school.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
29 May 2013 8:11 AM by nikquinn Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Oh wow, ok well that makes things a bit more urgent then. ok many thanks for your replies much appreciated. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Apple Store in La Cañada - 8 posts
Bank help needed , please - 10 posts
Amazing Bar And Club In Denia partner / investor sought - 4 posts
Need advice on renting properties and costs of living in Fuengirola Area - 0 posts
Buying a car in Spain, new NIE Number - 5 posts
robert boyd - 2 posts
paying into the spanish social system - 2 posts
swimming pool cleaners - recommendations - 0 posts
time to buy in Spain?? - 23 posts
Has Spain "lost its way" in Tourism ? - 9 posts
Easyjet new hand baggage rules... May 2013 - 7 posts
Air Conditioning unit for sale, good price - 2 posts
Song - 0 posts
Spanish ''song'' - 3 posts
New income tax regulations ? - 7 posts
Hola! Driving from London to Malaga - 15 posts
So. Spanish residency automatic for foreigners buying a house at over €500k ! - 0 posts
is here have any group for wireless communication like walkie talkie? - 0 posts
Wanted a good honest English speaking administrator in Marbella area. - 3 posts
Replacement NIE - 1 posts
Portman/Portman Bay - 0 posts
Long term rental in Spain - 4 posts
Thank You Costaluz Lawyers. Success! - 3 posts
Holiday illness at Benalmadena Holiday Village - 0 posts
mobile internet - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x