Buying a car Spain or England

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Apr 2013 1:26 PM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

Thinking about buying a car for when we move over to Spain (hopefully soon) can anyone give any advice, we have looked at cars in England and got a rough idea of prices and of course we will be doing the same when we are over in Spain again, we will be buying the car round about September time, has anyone gone through the same thing and has any advice to give about the difference in prices and so on, anything would be appreciated.

many thanks

Like 0      
29 Apr 2013 1:41 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Car prices in Spain are roughly similar to UK until the car gets to about 4 years old. Anything older will be cons7derably more in Spain. Also look around carefully as dealers vary greatly in Spain. For example, a 3 yo Focus from one dealerin Torrevieja at €8400 and €7100 from a different one just up the road. The comparison price will also change depending on the exchange rate, even a couple of cents either way will be quite a big difference.
Bringing a UK reg car will cost somewhere around €1000 to put on Spanish plates including new headlights, registration fees and inspection etc so bear that in mind (plus the steering wheel will be on the wrong side). Even a previously registered Spanish car will cost to have it re-registered.
Personally, if a newish car is wanted with all paperwork done then I would buy in Spain but ensure all taxes etc are up to date. You could be liable for a year or so road tax otherwise.
You don't say where you are moving to but autoscout24.es is a good site. In Torrevieja they are sold at Goldcar sales which has a good reputation for standard, price, condition and range plus they do all the paperwork for you.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2013 1:51 PM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

Thank you very much, any information is good information, many thanks x

Like 0      
29 Apr 2013 2:16 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Hiya - depending on whether you've already got experience driving on the continent, you might want to think about buying a little cheap runabout for the first few months, so you don't mind it getting bumped and scraped, then getting something better after about six months. I had a 12-year old Seat Ibiza bought from a mechanic in my village, then after three months I took advantage of the government scrappage scheme (Plan PIVE) and traded it in for scrap and got €2,000 off a 6-month old Seat Mii - the government gave me twice what I'd paid for it! Plus I'd got used to driving onSpanish roads and parking in my very narrow street, so was more relaxed about driving a more valuable car (it was still dead cheap though).

Wrote a blog post about buying a second-hand car in Spain - "A Question of Trust", blog post number 14 in the link below. My recommendation is to buy one off someone recommended by your neighbours. Also another blog post, number 39, about buying the new car. Hope that helps!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
29 Apr 2013 2:34 PM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

Thank you, Im ok with the driving we have been coming over for six years now so I get a fair bit of driving in each time we come over but I am very grateful for the info and you taking the time to reply.

Elaine x

Like 0      
03 May 2013 11:09 AM by jagi Star rating in San Javier. 17 posts Send private message

Hello Elaine, My name is Jose Antonio and I work for the Ford dealer in fron of Dos Mares Commercial Centre in San Javier - Murcia.(carretera N 332 km 35)

I woul like to let you know that we have brand new Ford cars as well as second hand Fords and other brands and prices for all butgets. In our second hand cars we give a 12 month guarantee and the car is fully service.

We have also have paint shop, body repair and general service for your car.

We would be very happy to assist you .

Best regards.

Jose Antonio.

Ford, Automoviles Galera

968 19 18 16 - 24

Like 0      
03 May 2013 11:31 AM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

Thank you Jose, I will bear that in mind, many thanks

Like 0      
04 May 2013 7:20 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

My advice to you all don't buy a second hand car in Spain, buy  a new one, the first car I bought was a cut and shut, and the second one clocked, I now have a new VW Passat superb car 60 miles to the gallon......

Like 0      
05 May 2013 12:35 PM by elaineandchad Star rating in Manchester/Costa Bla.... 53 posts Send private message

Thank you, we will certainly bear that in mind.

Like 0      
05 May 2013 9:35 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Buying second-hand in Spain doesn't ALWAYS involve being ripped off ob123 !!!! I bought my first ancient Seat Ibiza off a local mechanic, recommended by my insurance man, and by my neighbours (all Spanish). They wanted to make sure I got a decent car, and didn't want the embarrassment of it all going wrong for me! OK, I traded it in for a new one under the government scrappage scheme but who wouldn't grab the opportunity of getting twice the price back in a government subsidy. I love my little brand new car, but it's perfectly possible to get a good second-hand runabout too, especially if you ask your neighbours and contacts locally. I certainly wouldn't buy one from a dealer on th Costas, nor from a Brit who is about to move back to the UK.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Lloyds/Sabadell - 33 posts
Mobile phones UK - 3 posts
car tax....to pay or not to pay - 5 posts
Malaga golf courses - 0 posts
Desperation and Insurance Fraud - 0 posts
DoYouSpain Car Hire - 3 posts
pool - 2 posts
Buying for the first time in Spain - 26 posts
police station address - NIE - 20 posts
Having a car in Spain for Hilidays - Is it a viable option - 4 posts
Warfrin in Spain - 12 posts
Why would anyone still want to move to Spain?(unless they are rich, with a good accountant) - 15 posts
burberry - 5 posts
non resident taxes - 0 posts
Tax allowances - 1 posts
AEAT Capital Gains Tax Demand - 22 posts
European legislation regarding energy efficiency - 3 posts
printing boarding cards etc. - 8 posts
Sky HD BOX - 4 posts
Jet2.com seat allocation - 2 posts
Ryanair - Do you pay card charges? I don't - 5 posts
Gutter Fitting - 0 posts
Bank pays without BG because the report of the Administrators Appointed by the Court in an insolvency process says the amounts where guaranteed - 0 posts
Court case against La Caixa / Trampolin Hills - 44 posts
Forced to complete after loosing court battle. Please help!!! - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x