Having a car in Spain for Hilidays - Is it a viable option

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Apr 2013 10:33 PM by Elainemc Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

My Dad is leaving spain and we have the opportunity to pick up the car cheap.  We have a holiday home in Spain which we visit regularly so this would save on hire car costs but we are not sure of the costs for a non resident having a car in Spain.. The car park at Airport is approx. 300 euros a year but can anyone advise  how much tax, insurance (MOTequivalent ) we would be likely to pay on a 9 year old mazda 2.

Like 0      
27 Apr 2013 10:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Car tax, depending on the region you live in, less than €75 (mine is €42.30 for a 3 yo Ford Focus). Insurance about the same as UK but includes breakdown cover. Cars over 10 yo require an annual ITV (MOT) and cost between 20 and 40 euros depending on type and, again, the region you live in. I guess yours would be the standard €33 ish.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2013 8:54 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1934 posts Send private message

Hi I have owned a villa in Spain for 7 years and have thought about buying a car I visit Spain for 8 weeks throughout the year  and last year in total it cost me 790 eu to hire a car in the winter months for instance you can hire a car for as little as 50eu per week we always use economy car hire always take out a separate undercarriage insurance it will cover you for lost keys tyres and so on for this  I pay 65eu for as many trips throughout the year don't take out the weekly insurance they try to sell you at the airport  the choice is yours for a total of 855 and no maintenance bills it was a no brainier for me.

PS .you always get a well maintained car latest model car when you hire one.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 28/04/2013.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 28/04/2013.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2013 10:54 AM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

I think I would go with buying the car. You are not at the mercy of the hire companies who seem to be able to hold people to ransom at certain times of the year. It's nice to have your own car to be able to use as and where you want

Air Conditioning, Energy Assessor+Technical Services,

chris@homecomforts.es   

http://www.homecomforts.es/

Like 0      
07 May 2013 6:26 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I wasn't sure about buying a car but finally took the plunge 31/2 years ago when hire charges went through the roof.

Within 2 years what I would have paid in hire fees paid for the car, now it's just the annual cost of running it.

My husband told me that when we come out in July it would cost us 790e for a Nissan Micro, still more than we are paying yearly.

Any fuel we put in the car is still there for our next visit and I can also get a bus to the airport so no longer have to pay airport  storage fee.

Best decision we made, should have done it sooner. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Warfrin in Spain - 12 posts
Why would anyone still want to move to Spain?(unless they are rich, with a good accountant) - 15 posts
burberry - 5 posts
non resident taxes - 0 posts
Tax allowances - 1 posts
AEAT Capital Gains Tax Demand - 22 posts
European legislation regarding energy efficiency - 3 posts
printing boarding cards etc. - 8 posts
Sky HD BOX - 4 posts
Jet2.com seat allocation - 2 posts
Ryanair - Do you pay card charges? I don't - 5 posts
Gutter Fitting - 0 posts
Bank pays without BG because the report of the Administrators Appointed by the Court in an insolvency process says the amounts where guaranteed - 0 posts
Court case against La Caixa / Trampolin Hills - 44 posts
Forced to complete after loosing court battle. Please help!!! - 15 posts
Sale of Goods - 7 posts
Change of Utility Provider - 2 posts
Energy performance certificate - 4 posts
Spain's Risk Premium falls and Stock Market rises - Sign of improvement? - 3 posts
FOOTBALL - La Liga - Bundesliga - Premier League ... Who Rules in European Football? - 21 posts
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for sale - practically unused! - 0 posts
Community Accounts? - 2 posts
Asset reporting - 23 posts
jetXTRA - NEW LOW COST airline to Alicante - They promise no hidden charges!! - 9 posts
alicante airport - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x