Where Are All The Rental Properties ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Mar 2013 4:20 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

We are just about to fly back to the UK after being in Benalmadena for the past 3 weeks, here for a break and also to try and find a rental property for at least 3 months over the winter.  We know there are hundreds of empty properties and we thought it would be an easy task to find one to rent but we have been proved wrong!

There are not many rentals in the estate agents here and almost all of them advertised are apartments .  We are looking for a 2-bed townhouse with a bit of outside space in a quiet area not too far from the coastline, since we won't be bringing our car (The new legislation re registering it has put paid to this idea). We have looked on the two main holiday letting websites, sent a couple of enquiries that haven't been answered, but there is very little on either site that fit the bill, anyway.

We have asked around as to why we are finding it so hard to find anywhere and have been told that many of the empty properties belong to people that have 'given up, gone back to the UK (or wherever) and have lost interest in trying to keep their properties'. I'm sure this is true for some of the empty properties.

However, after reading the thread about whether a place in Spain is seen as a good investment, we have come to another conclusion.  We think there must be property owners that want to rent them out but they don't advertise them so that they can avoid any complicated legalities.  Are we right in thinking this? It would certainly explain the lack of advertised rental properties. BUT, how do we find a property to rent?  We really, really don't want to take another apartment with a Holiday Company.  We are fed up of the noise from other people coming and going (and shouting and moving furniture late at night) in badly-built properties with no insulation between each apartment to cut out noise.  We definitely want a house where there is no-one else above us or below us, but neighbours are a must.  We're not hermits, we just need our sleep!

Like 0      
20 Mar 2013 4:49 PM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

Try all of the local papers, there are normally loads to rent in the freebie papers. Also try the advertisment boards in supermarkets or cafs and bars. Or for that matter just go into a bar where the Brits are and ask, I,m sure somebody will know somebody who is looking to rent out their property

Air Conditioning, Energy Assessor+Technical Services,

chris@homecomforts.es   

http://www.homecomforts.es/

Like 0      
20 Mar 2013 5:22 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

From time to time a rumour does the rounds that the Hacienda  are looking for boards advertising lets and then they chase the owners.  I think the rumours are started by hotels and the like to put off private lets.    

That said, almost all private property lets are illegal, albeit that many owners don't know that.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2013 8:42 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
When I was looking for places for a friend, I had joined a Facebook group for the area I live in, which was also where my friend was looking. That group had a sub-group for properties and that had lots of rentals on it.

Also, I put it around my area that I was looking for somewhere for a friend, and people came to me! I put together a shortlist of the best 7, and he rented one of those and is now happily ensconced :-). I think Facebook can solve all sorts of problems!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
20 Mar 2013 8:51 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

If you look at the above menu you will see RENTALS and then select REGION , AREA and then property type.

Hundreds of places for rental on this EOS site direct with the owners and with email and phone contacts ..

have you looked at it yet ?

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

applying for residencia - 2 posts
Share the Load from Spain to the UK Please? - 0 posts
Help Worldwide Asset Disclosure - 0 posts
QNUPS - 5 posts
Costa Del Sol Action Group - 6 posts
Motorcycle licence - 0 posts
Gold Car at MURCIA San Javier Airport - 5 posts
An older UK Prime Minister next time please.? - 0 posts
Hello Norman - 4 posts
UK Car to Spanish plates - 1 posts
we are thinking of moving to spain. any info would be great thanks - 20 posts
WANTED - BIKES (Alicante Region) - 0 posts
Mattress Wanted - King Size (190cm x 150cm) - 0 posts
Marriage Registration Refusal - 0 posts
Seamstress/dressmaker needed in CDS - 2 posts
Getting into and out of Gibraltar - 1 posts
surprising charges - 4 posts
Time to move your saving out of Spanish Banks.. could Cyprus be thin end of wedge.? - 13 posts
Looking for a villa near beach, restaurants, Alicante or Murcia? - 7 posts
Broker Recommendations - 10 posts
scammed by electricians - 2 posts
Will Spain copy Cyprus and rob our savings? - 95 posts
Horizontal Law Changes - 0 posts
moving this summer (hopefully) - 12 posts
Shocked by Judge's decision - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x