FilmOn stops transmitting UK terrestrial channels overseas:

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Mar 2013 8:40 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

According to Filmons facebook page - posted 9 hours ago:

Quote:
There will be some changes to the service starting today:

The only UK channels to be broadcast will be BBC1 and BBC Northern Ireland, ITV, Channel4 and Channel5. These will ONLY be available to view within the UK!

The same restrictions will be applied to German and Italian channels - these channels will only be available within their respective countries.

Unfortunately we are no longer able to carry these channels -- Kindest regards, FilmOn Support Team

Whilst those in the Costa Blanca & Calida shouldn't be too concerned (we can receive UK TV via satellite dish) - those in Costa del Sol & beyond who are struggling to pick up Astra 2F (and likely to be the case with 2E and next year 2G), it is unfortunately another option off their list - unless another service provider provides an app which will allow for this. But if the biggest 'filmon' won't carry the channels, there's bound to be a good reason for it.

Quite interesting that filmon has stopped the service overseas - but locally the rebroadcasters & a couple of other companies are still offering UK streams, once again putting parts of Spain in a unique situation legality wise?

Bottom line, for those that can't receive TV with satellite dishes, the only options presently will be IPTV (internet TV) - for which you'll need a set top box and paying a subscription to the service provider. 

You could use a UK VPN (virtual private network) to receive 'film on' (as per previously) but for this you would also require a subscription (€5-€10 per month).

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 10:05 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

I can confirm that filmon has indeed stopped thansmitting  a lot of the brit channels. At the moment I can still get BBC1, BBC2. ITV. Ch.4 and Ch.5.

ITV2, 3 and 4 have disappeared along with the Ch5 derivatives and Dave. Film 4 has also been stopped.

fb

This message was last edited by foxbat on 13/03/2013.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 1:42 PM by comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

comadreja´s avatar

I can't see any UK channels at all now!  Are you using a VPN, foxbat?

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 4:05 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Unless you are using a VPN (for UK) you will not be able to use those channels on FilmOn.

A community member suggested taking a look at www.myiplayer.eu  which will work on your PC (and possibly flash compatible tablet).  The pop up adverts initially are a bit of a pain, but when you've clicked your way around them a couple of times, go away. For this you do not need a VPN or to hide your IP address.

http://www.myiplayer.eu/home.php

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 5:10 PM by comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

comadreja´s avatar

I don't use a VPN, but I can now see BBC1 etc in the list of channels (I couldn't earlier).  Only BBC1 seems to be streaming through!

I will take a look at my iplayer.eu anyway, thanks TVT.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 5:20 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

comadreja... I sent you a pm..

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 5:46 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Despite the earlier press release on FilmOns facebook page -  the channels BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 & Channel 5 are now back on again?

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 7:26 AM by Geoff y Pat Star rating in Torre Guil / Sutton .... 90 posts Send private message

Hi, I have just set up with a provider for a one month trial for my ipad. I have downloaded 4on demand, Iplayer, 5 on demand and ITV player. I am having problems with streaming, the programmes run for awhile then stop also my VPN keeps switching off on it's own. My download speed is 2.84 Mbs. It also says the bandwidth is not sufficient. I have a wifi setup and it's 36 euros a month so what speed do I need to run this setup?

Some programmes play for 5 or 10 minutes and then stop.

Any help would be great.

Geoff

Like 0      
15 Mar 2013 7:02 PM by interceptor Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I use HMA vpn, and this is NOT allowing all the old UK Filmon stations. I just get basic 1-5 channels.

Is anyone else able to receive the full set of UK channels plus Film4 with a vpn now??? (i can still get BBC iPlayer using this vpn but it appears that Filmon is still able to identify that my pc is not in the UK!)

Like 0      
15 Mar 2013 7:05 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Wifi can be a little unstable & will depend on where in your property you are at the time - as well as construction type of the property

For example in my property we have 2 routers (ground & first floor), yet one of the bedrooms we always struggle with reception and signal can drop out.

The cheapest initial option may be able to see if you can boost the wifi signal - certain routers have an antenna which will unscrew & is a standard fitting - if this is the case with your router you could purchase a larger screw on antenna - ebay, probably no more than €10 - €15

You should be able to stream in o.k if not great quality on 2.84 Mbs, though check speed on your ipad in different parts of your house, to see if you have a weak coverage area as that will slow the speed right down & could well be the cause of the problem.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2013 12:10 AM by interceptor Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

The channels i am receiving are;

BBC1

BBC HD

BBC PARLIAMENT

BBC2

BBC NEWS

BBC1 NI

CBBC/BBC3

CBEEBIES/BBC4

ITV1

CH4

CH5

(no Film4 also)

Does anyone know if people using Filmon actually in the UK are receiving the remaining channels such as Film4 or Dave etc etc?

Like 0      
16 Mar 2013 4:37 AM by pff001 Star rating. 126 posts Send private message

I use the thebox.bz. I can download what ever i want to view and then watch it back when suits.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2013 11:40 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Or you could use the worlds largest file share network - Piratebay. 

Like 0      
16 Mar 2013 11:48 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

interceptor.  We get the same set of "main" channels in the UK plus hundreds of minor TV & radio stations, but not Film4, E4, Dave etc.

M.

Like 0      
16 Mar 2013 1:54 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Or you could use the worlds largest file share network - Piratebay.

Isn't this the one that has been blocked by the courts on 27 April 2012?

Like 0      
16 Mar 2013 8:03 PM by interceptor Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks xetog. Good to know actual UK residents are not receiving extra channels to those of us in Spain!

A good alternative for live streaming is tvcatchup. com but you will need to install a vpn service such as 'hide my ass' hidemyass. com so it thinks you are in the UK (this is simple to do with their software). I am currently streaming live ITV2 which is no longer available on filmon

Hope this helps others.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2013 3:56 PM by benb Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I guess any site that is broadcasting a service will be shut down by authorities in the end one way or another, the likes of Mr Murdock are not people you'd want to mess with in that area. Good thing with the VPN approach I guess is that they are not providing direct access mearly prviding the tools to do so at your own risk. Plus if you use a VPN you get access to the catchup sites like BBC iPlayer.

I got a deal for 3 quid a month for one if I paid few months upfront.

WWW LAPTOPTELLY COM

Like 0      
14 Apr 2013 7:09 PM by interceptor Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Does anyone have an update or more news on the future of tv in Spain?

Using a mini-pc with xbmc installed seems to be catching the imagination - this allows UK tv.

Also use slingbox, but you need a friend in the UK to allow hookup to their tv aerial and leave a slingbox there connected to the internet.

Like 0      
15 Apr 2013 7:20 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

"Does anyone have an update or more news on the future of tv in Spain?"

The next change is expected to be the movement of BBC ITV C4s (and other channels)  from 1N to 2E. According to SES Astra, 2E is expected to be launched in July, with an operational start date of September.

Until 2E is launched, tested, positioned, and transmitting, no-one can say for sure what its reception will be like in Spain or what size dish you will need for your are in Spain. Anyone saying "they know" is only guessing and speculating.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
15 Apr 2013 1:49 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Wow! Finger get stuck on the paste button?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Security - 2 posts
cotaluz lawyers - 0 posts
New! Law 57/68 and Huma-Banco Popular. Case won by CostaLuz - 3 posts
Paying IBI a year late - 12 posts
Pets - 0 posts
Energy Performance Certificates come to Spain - 327 posts
Energy Performance Certificates come to Spain - 7 posts
Protest in Malaga Airport - 3 posts
Justice for Chris Huhne and his ex wife - 18 posts
Watching Formula 1 - 2013 in Spain - 0 posts
boat hire san javier - 0 posts
health care in Spain - 0 posts
Palmera Properties and Mirador - 2 posts
Outside terrace - 8 posts
NORMANSANDS - 11 posts
Bromley to Almoradi - 0 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 12 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 0 posts
Tax Defaulters Register. - 0 posts
Judge Sentencing - 1 posts
Kayak course - 0 posts
SPAIN CRIME WORSENS AND IS LOSING MONEY AND RESPECT. - 27 posts
Summer is almost here - 2 posts
Long term rental/housesitting/caretaking. - 0 posts
satalite dish - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x