Paying IBI a year late

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Mar 2013 11:24 AM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Hi,

I plan to pay my 2012 IBI at town hall at the beginning of next month. It will be almost 12 months late as I have been stuggling with money .. does anyone know how much interest will be applied?

I know usually  you can pay from April to November for current year with no interest being applied, but does anyone know what increase I will have to pay?

Thanks,

Jane

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 12:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As you don't show which municipality you are referring to, so difficult to say. But of course the town hall will tell you.

Also, in passing, some municipalities give a discount  to owners who are registered on the Padron. I think we get 30%

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 12:41 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

It is Mijas, I normally pay the IBI at the town hall in La Cala .. do I need to show my padron when I go to pay?

Thanks, Jane

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 12:48 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi,
             I called Mijas for you. 

It’s not exactly as simple as one set penalty charge.

They started to explain but then said if you email them with the ref number etc they will tell you exactly.

Email is :-   frd@mijas.es

Tel. No. is 00 34 952 485900

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 1:04 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

wow thanks John very much for your help .. I will mail them ..

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 5:28 PM by cbrammeld Star rating. 172 posts Send private message

We had to pay a charge of 10% for late payment. Townhall had all details including bank account and they told us it would be collected automatically. Being Spain it did not.

Townhalls do not go out of their way to collect money, just fine you if you are late, bit like UK councils/ HMRC

I now wander up and pay IBI early summer rather than trust townhall computer.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 5:42 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Reading all the many posts on here where folk have had problems in paying bills, late payment charges, dont know how to pay something, etc etc, i got to be honest i have never had any problems like anything mentioned, except for one stupid thing which was 100% my fault.

I do have a solicitor that i pay a sum to every year, think about 120/140ish€  who is also my accountant, (For the want of a better description) or the office has them combined, all my bills/standing orders/tax... everything she does as a matter of course.

No body else do it this way? or am i the only one? Seems to me so much easier.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 5:51 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Baz,

yes I do it just about the same way.  Except that I have set up the Direct Debits so they all get paid on time, some with a built in discount for prompt/DD payment etc. but without me having to pay someone to do it for me.

I have done the same for my son who is non-resident and has two properties here.

When I changed banks a couple of years ago, I got a list from my existing bank, gave it to the new one and they did it all.  Smooth as silk.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 6:07 PM by cbrammeld Star rating. 172 posts Send private message

What happens when direct debits are set up but townhall does not take the money out of account? 

Every other supplier can manage it like clockwork (electric,phone,water,community) but not townhall.

I now know the townhall is not competant enough to action a DD once a year so i pay it my self

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 8:45 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

What happens when direct debits are set up but townhall does not take the money out of account?

Every other supplier can manage it like clockwork (electric,phone,water,community) but not townhall.

I now know the townhall is not competant enough to action a DD once a year so i pay it my self

That's why i chose to do it the way i do via my solicitor/accountant,  if for some reason it didn't get paid she has to sort it out....Hopefully....With fingers crossed.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 9:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

What happens when direct debits are set up but town hall  does not take the money out of account?

A very easy solvable problem. 

A bit like Amatista's,  a simple phone call to the town hall and an easy solution.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/03/2013.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 9:40 PM by cbrammeld Star rating. 172 posts Send private message

I spoke with townhall in person and they confirmed they had all the correct bank details but did not know why it had not been paid. Yes if I was fluent in Spanish I could challenge the 10% fee as non-payment/collection was their fault. But this is Spain with massive bureaucracy and for 20 euros the time and effort was not worth it.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 9:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

For those in a situation like cbrammeld, or any other where you do not get the service you want, Spain has a wonderful complaints system. 

You will see in ALL ESTABLISHMENT a sign saying they have  complaints forms. (hojas de reclamación).

It works wonders and is free.

You do not have to accept that you cannot do anything.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Pets - 0 posts
Energy Performance Certificates come to Spain - 327 posts
Energy Performance Certificates come to Spain - 7 posts
Protest in Malaga Airport - 3 posts
Justice for Chris Huhne and his ex wife - 18 posts
Watching Formula 1 - 2013 in Spain - 0 posts
boat hire san javier - 0 posts
health care in Spain - 0 posts
Palmera Properties and Mirador - 2 posts
Outside terrace - 8 posts
NORMANSANDS - 11 posts
Bromley to Almoradi - 0 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 12 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 0 posts
Tax Defaulters Register. - 0 posts
Judge Sentencing - 1 posts
Kayak course - 0 posts
SPAIN CRIME WORSENS AND IS LOSING MONEY AND RESPECT. - 27 posts
Summer is almost here - 2 posts
Long term rental/housesitting/caretaking. - 0 posts
satalite dish - 1 posts
health care for pensioner - 16 posts
Traveling - 0 posts
LHD car wanted in Ex for RHD - 0 posts
Electricty Bills gone through the roof..... - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x