Before you buy in a community ask to see the community accounts

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2013 9:39 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

If you are wondering if the community is a bankrupt one or a mismanaged one.

Ask the president and the adminitrator if you can see the accounts of the community.

i never thought about it before but i saw this and then thought what a good idea it was

http://home.lifegoesstrong.com/video/new-adult-communities?utm_source=taboola

on the right of the page

The New Adult Communities

Sure, golf and tennis are great. But what about the arts? And does your perspective new community have medical facilities? Is it made up almost entirely of locals who may shut you out? What does the home-owner's fee cover? And, oh yes, did you ask management to open up its books? Real Estate expert Barbara Corcoran explains why you should ask these – and other – critical questions before buying.

usa but they are way ahead of spain so its food for thought

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 3:31 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

It's something that almost everybody has almost always overlooked, but it's even more important nowadays, especially in new communities where many unsold properties are owned by the developer or even the bank, who are not paying the fees. The shortfall has to be made up by those decent and honest members who DO pay. 

The US is so far ahead of Spain in just about everything, that the chances of Spain ever catching up are somehwere between nothing and zero. Good luck to anyone trying to get access to community accounts as owners, let alone as "perspective" owners! 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 5:49 PM by CostaBlade Star rating in Riviera. 115 posts Send private message

As President of our community i would have no problem in letting prospective buyers see the accounts.

Can't believe nobody ever asks for them !!    I keep saying this "research, research, and more research, but some will never learn,        Hey Ho  !

Wouldn't be very happy if our administrators refused to let anybody see the accounts either, They work for me as President, not the other way round.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 6:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

That's presumably because the accounts are all in order and you are not corrupt. 

I know of one large local community where some of the owners are having to take their own adminstrators to court just to get to see the accounts. The president is siding with the administrators! Go figure. It would take very little research to discover that this is not a place to buy an apartment. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 8:35 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Before buying my property I asked and was given access to accounts, and although they contained some debt it was not excessive on overall turnover of funds.

However that can change as reccesion bites further as it will without doubt.

So a good president and Admin go a long way to instilling some level of confidence.

So yes research research research is the safest option.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2013 10:11 AM by SandrainAlgorfa Star rating in Algorfa, Costa Blanc.... 19 posts Send private message

SandrainAlgorfa´s avatar

If you're parting with money, you need to know what's happening to it, so of course you should ask to see the community accounts. A badly maintained community will affect the rental potential of your own property, and may make it difficult to sell, and a community in debt is not going to be able to carry out the required maintenance.

I'm sure some people leave their brains in the wardrobe at home when they come out here to buy. I've heard of people who've allowedbuyers to move in before the final payment is made. If you wouldn't do it in England, don't do it in Spain. That maxim has kept us out of trouble for the last 5 years.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2013 10:15 AM by Fighter2 Star rating. 237 posts Send private message

Any prospective buyers of property on MAZARRON COUNTRY CLUB will be shown the accounts if they ask...and they will find NO DEBT and a very healthy positive financial situation where Community Fees have been held at the same level for the last 5 years and no reason to increase in the forseeable future unless owners wanted to.

Barry

Like 0      
01 Mar 2013 1:58 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

but i think Mazzaron is a rare case that worked out well.

i also know of presidents that are fighting with the administrators just to actually see the accounts.

Its one to add to the checklist of things when looking at buying and i bet only 2% of people if even that high do it or would even think about it.

This message was last edited by Mungry on 01/03/2013.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Listed Buildings( Zona Protegida) - 3 posts
PRICE OF PROPERTY IN MIJAS PUEBLO and AYAMONTE - 2 posts
Deposit contract, watch out! - 0 posts
MAZARRON MINES - 2 posts
moving at the start of 2014 (hopefully) - 26 posts
When is a bank in Spain not a bank and won't take my money - 4 posts
Hola from Algorfa, Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Income tax threshold - 11 posts
CAR HIRE FROM FARO - 0 posts
Living in an Almacen ..... is this legal? - 9 posts
Utilities - 26 posts
Pool Safety - suggestions please - 9 posts
Sun - satellite outages - possible interruption to signal - UK TV Costa Blanca - Calida - 2 posts
Lowest Price Wireless Internet - 0 posts
In the Alpujarra - 0 posts
Summer Car Hire - 0 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
hi can anyone help please - 1 posts
Car tax 2013 - 3 posts
Buying Fish in the Supermarket - 8 posts
Living in El Galan - 2 posts
Kristina Szekely Real Estate filing for Bankruptcy - 0 posts
Whats the "Coolest solution" to Air Con - Inverters or Non Inverters - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x