Living in an Almacen ..... is this legal?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Feb 2013 11:24 PM by ds8819 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Does anyone know?

I have been looking at a property advertised for sale, which is a new build .....described as an "Almacen"

My understanding is that this term describes a "storage facility". It is currently lived in by the current owner, who assures me that this is perfectly legal. Stating that  this is all very normal and is just the way things are done. and that there are houses dotted all over the place here, some with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, pools, and are still classed as Almacens and being used as full time dwellings!

Does anybody know what the legalities are with this? I am extremely dubious that the local town hall would be agreeable to a building designated as a "storage unit" being used as a "dwelling!"

Like 0      
25 Feb 2013 11:42 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I agree, I would be dubious too, well infact I wouldn't believe it.  An almacen is normally built on "terreno terciario" which is limited to "services and businesses only". It is not "terreno urbanizable" which would be used to build houses and far more valuable. Yes many people have done this and haven't been caught becasue the land is cheaper. But if the land is terciaro you could be forced not to live in your "warehouse", as it falls under different regulations. So you would need to check it out at the land registry office. If it is an "almacen/warehouse" on Terciario land , I would highly recommend you didin't buy it unless you want a warehouse, not a house. None the less have it checked out and don't take anyone's word for it. If the land is not "urbanizable/urbano" don't buy it if you are looking for a house.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 7:28 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi There

Please check out Advertisment  Ref 103-03837 on the Link below. The Owner  started already in November 2012 to  convert the Almacen into 7 Residential Apartments and planning permission was  already given in 2007  by the Estepona Town Council  when my Parents were still alive.Our Lawyers say this is a perfectly legal construction what do you think. I am not naming our Building for obviously reasons.There will be no back windows to this development and only sunlight through the front of these dwellings.

http://www.ibuscando.com/english/property/ref/R103-03837/

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 8:25 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

walk away

there are a substantial amount of places for sale in spain with no obvious bits that you need to be reassured of.

walk away and choose from one of the other millions

Edit:

I know that building

just to the left of if there is the sewage outlet that stinks terrible in the summer

This message was last edited by Mungry on 26/02/2013.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 9:14 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

If the property hasn't been "recalificado" as a "vivienda" / house, I would also walk away. If it has been recalificado and is now registered as a vivienda, then there shouldn't be any problem, but as Mungry says there are thousands of properties without any problems attached. The problem is it may be ok for you but when you come to sell it you may encounter more problems.

The same goes for the "almacen"  it would need to be recalificado and registered as a vivienda to live there. But it depends on where it is etc, I am assuming  a detached warehouse not in a residential area. If it is in a residential area many have converted their warehouses to what are now called "lofts"  but once again it must be approved by the council and registered etc

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 10:46 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

i would say as well

if it has been classified and allowed by the governement as residental thats not the end of it.

you may need to try and get electric meters in it or telephone lines.

but endesa and telefonica may not even acnowledge its existance for as long as a decade.
i am not saying i have known this to happen but i know spain and spanish companys.

so buyer beware

time to pay your property taxes.
you may find you need to pay industrial taxes and have a 5 years fight while intrest builds up to get the tax people to realise its a house.

this is spain

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 10:54 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I believe, but I'm not sure, that Hacienda will recognise your "warehouse" as a "house" if you can prove that "you" live there on a permanent basis and that it is your "main house". However I'm not sure what tax they will charge you. 

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 1:37 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

buy as you know

thinking that

or knowing it

or even having a piece of paper saying that

is very different to doing it

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 2:36 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I would have thought and it's pretty obvious that by reading this forum their are quite a few people on it that have had problems with legal..dare i say...ordinary house's, without knowingly buying a possible problem.

As for some getting away with it that's just like the bloke in the pub telling you what a fantastic amount he gets in UK benefits, you go and try and end up with nothing or tuppence.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2013 12:57 PM by ds8819 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Many thanks to all contributors to this thread.

I consider that giving it a wide berth would be a wise move under the circumstances, as I have no desire to fall foul of the law, nor have to live with the possibility that I could be ejected off the land at any moment.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Utilities - 26 posts
Pool Safety - suggestions please - 9 posts
Sun - satellite outages - possible interruption to signal - UK TV Costa Blanca - Calida - 2 posts
Lowest Price Wireless Internet - 0 posts
In the Alpujarra - 0 posts
Summer Car Hire - 0 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
hi can anyone help please - 1 posts
Car tax 2013 - 3 posts
Buying Fish in the Supermarket - 8 posts
Living in El Galan - 2 posts
Kristina Szekely Real Estate filing for Bankruptcy - 0 posts
Whats the "Coolest solution" to Air Con - Inverters or Non Inverters - 5 posts
Bacchus on the Oasis estate, Los Alcazares. Great food - 13 posts
Capital Gains Tax - 37 posts
Property tax advice - 4 posts
Wildlife in Axarquia - 0 posts
Falling pound, but a silver lining - 25 posts
A building not conforming to current standards, what does this mean? - 6 posts
Looking for second airconditioning unit. - 3 posts
Lack of Response by Spanish entities. - 1 posts
Car Insurance in Spain - 4 posts
Out of the blue Social Security Bill for 7.5k - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x