Advice on Spanish property tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Feb 2013 6:09 PM by daisy164 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me with some Spanish property tax issues? I am travelling to Spain next week to have a meeting with a lawyer about it all but I want to try and gather some information first so any help or advice would be gratefully accepted. Here's the situation:

Mother in law moves to Spain with fiancée in 1998 having bought a house for roughly £50k the year before
After 12 months fiancée passed away
2 years later new partner moves in
New partner spends money on the house increasing its value to an estimated €250,000
2 years ago separates from partner

We know that the deeds were never updated for the extension and swimming pool.
Fiancées will was not originally recognised in Spain and stated that his share of the property be held in trust for my husband and fiancées son, which is apparently not recognised in Spain. We have now had will translated and it is now lodged and recognised with the powers that be.

We also suspect that as the deeds were not updated that the appropriate tax has not been paid since the extension was built.

What we want to do:

Remove fiancées name from deeds to enable future selling of property and to simplify things if anything were to happen to mother in law.

My queries are:

Do you think that there is a hefty tax bill waiting for us further down the line?
Would there be any inheritance tax issues?
What about capital gains tax?
If we sorted out the deeds etc could the property be transferred to mother in laws son? If so what tax implications would there be?
If anything were to happen to mother in law would next of kin be liable for any tax debt? If so could the house be sold to settle the debt?

Mother in law is a Spanish resident but does not work. She pays a basic tax.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any feedback you may have. We just want to get all affairs in order as its been lingering for too long.

Regards

Like 0      
08 Feb 2013 7:27 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The IHT tax related to the half of fiancée is now expired.

If thre has been no transmission of the property, there is no capital gains tax to declare

Transmission to mother in law son will depends on mother in law and fiancées´son as the other co-owners of the proeprty. There will be transfer tax involved.

At the event of mother in law death, liable party would be according to her will/ testament--- or the abintestato rules applicable if she left no will. Initially there will be a tax bill involved.

Yes, property could be sold to settle the debt.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Feb 2013 7:39 PM by daisy164 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you.

We are currently presenting a stamped architects certificate to the lawyer that shows the details of the extension. Once this is processed and the deeds updated (I imagine this is what has to be done when a property is extended and the value increases) do you think we will be liable for any back tax? We do not believe that any additional tax is paid today compared to when the property was purchased and worth a lot less.

What are the current tax rates for property taxes in Spain? Would there be an option to pay in stages or would they be likely to demand it all immediately?

Regards

Like 0      
12 Feb 2013 2:02 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

If it is a declaration of new work before a Notary, you will have to pay Stamp Suty ( 1%) on the value of the new extension being declared.

There are several taxes in relation to Property:

Here you have a guide on taxes in Spain

You can always ask for staged payment of taxes

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
13 Feb 2013 11:56 AM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

The problem here is one of the original purchasers of the property has passed away. What many English people who move to Spain do not seem to realise, and constantly seem to disregard is that any property or real estate owned in Spain is that the assests held in Spain are only covered by Spanish law, so leaving your Spanish property to your family by bequeathing it in your English will as most seem to think sufficient just does not work. Spanish law specifically states this to be the case. The only way to ensure your Spanish property is administered to your wishes is to make a Spanish will, and as soon as a property is purchased a SPANISH will should be made to ensure the property is administered properly in the event of your death.

This is especially true if you are buying a property as a joint owner, as not to do this will make problems for the joint owner in the case of your death. This seems especially true in the case of the ladies family in this thread. 

Like 0      
13 Feb 2013 1:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

"any property or real estate owned in Spain is that the assets held in Spain are only covered by Spanish law"

Robert, not 100% accurate.

"only covered by Spanish law", 

Assets held in Spain are always covered by Spanish law,  but also possibly UK law too..

QuoteA UK-domiciled individual is liable to Inheritance Tax (IHT) on his worldwide properties which he gives (in the case of lifetime gifts) or leaves (in the case of inheritance) to his beneficiaries whereas, a non-UK-domiciled individual is liable to this tax only on his properties situated in the UK.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2013 2:40 PM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

Johnzx, what you point out is true, the tax liability of an asset in a countries boundaries, and its (deceased) owner, but i think you misconstrued the statement i made regarding the property ownership in Spain. The bottom line of this is that once a owner dies, any property in Spain, I.e, ownership, etc, is defined and controlled by Spanish law, and not arrangements made in another country.

Therefore, if someone with properties(assets) in the UK and Spain dies, and the disposal of that property in Spain is dealt with in an English will, it is not a valid proposal in Spain. The property would then go to the Spanish equivalent of English probate, and most likely a long legal process with an obvious large legal bill at the end. The solving of this scenario is the making of a Spanish will dealing with all assets and properties, etc. held in Spain, which will then be dealt with in accordance with the requirements of Spanish law. The thing i think also needs pointing out is that if you have a partner who has an interest in any asset held by you will have a long legal problem unless the estate is defined by a Spanish will, and  is the beneficiary of that estate. This is particularly true if you have dependants or children involved, where the Spanish law may make the beneficiary of an estate different to how someone may inherit the same assets in the UK.

The bottom line is if you have ANY assets in Spain , make a will, as disposal of your estate is not as simple as it may seem in the event of your death.

Any tax liabilities in whatever country assets may generate are unaffected by your will, and must be complied with by the inheritor, and is, Johnzx, a completely separate issue, this is, i think, where you are getting confused with what i previously stated. 

Like 0      
14 Feb 2013 2:55 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Robert,
                   Sorry to put you to such a long reply, but I was agreeing with you in that  “assets held in Spain are always covered by Spanish law” only pointing out  the possible UK complication,  so that those who might be affected would not be mislead.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 10:13 AM by robertt8696 Star rating in Midlands, UK. 479 posts Send private message

Seems we both meant the same but somehow were are cross purposes John!

The upshot of both of our advice is, If in Spain with Property or assets is, get down to the abogado and make a will, QUICK!!! 

Like 0      
15 Feb 2013 11:21 AM by daisy164 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thank you for all of the advice.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Another case won by my fantastic Spanish lawyers! Thanks to EOS - 11 posts
Confusion When Buying a Bank Repossession - 5 posts
leather 3 seater sofa for sale - 0 posts
proof of payments at notary - 3 posts
Dave - 1 posts
Can you help me? - 5 posts
Tram in Murcia - 4 posts
Planning law, wooden sheds, cabins and houses - 4 posts
NEGATIVES OF LIVING IN SPAIN - 41 posts
POSITIVE'S FOR LIVING IN SPAIN - 13 posts
Im moving to spain SOON Residence in Spain how easy/hard is it to get - 23 posts
when does it get warmer in Murcia - 7 posts
Age Concern volunteer Angela Keay MBE congratulated by British Ambassador - 0 posts
CASH REGISTER AND SHOP FITTINGS FOR SALE - 2 posts
Is Spain still the best option for retirement abroad? - 86 posts
Movistar top up in the UK? - 5 posts
Rental Experience - 3 posts
Computer help - 4 posts
Fancy a laugh? Post your best joke - 16 posts
Rental agent threatening denuncia & embargo on bank account - 5 posts
Do the courts have a website where the dates of future cases are posted? - 5 posts
Glass Curtains - 0 posts
3 day car hire - I couldn't believe the price - 4 posts
Spanish radio - 10 posts
New Endessa Account? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x