Do i realy nead a solicitor, when selling

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jan 2013 1:26 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Ive sold a property have ive got some quotes 800 euro plus iva, ive been told gester will do is and thet are cheeper has anybody used one of these or not used a solicitor or do they know of a cheeper solictor in Murcia

This message was last edited by newworld on 27/01/2013.

This message was last edited by newworld on 27/01/2013.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2013 2:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I (for myself and my son) have bought and sold several properties in Spain.

I have never employed a solicitor for either buying or selling. 

They are not necessary, and whether you have one or not,  the contract can only by authenticated before a Notary, who has certain legal responsibilities to ensure there is no reason why the transaction should not take place.

However, if a buyer has no understanding or knowledge, then maybe they would have a reason to employ ‘ someone’  to assist them. 

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 11:15 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

It depend on how safe and secure you feel yourself when buying and selling in Spain.

A Notary will take care of the legalities of the public deed which is the public title, for your purchase to be duly registered at the Land Registry, but will not be in charge of safeguarding your rights, guarantees, obligations in particular.

It is not big deal but sometimes being a foreign , it is worth while to have an experiences advisor to guide you through the whole process.

By the way, please have here a guide on conveyancing by our team:

http://www.costaluzlawyers.es/images/guides/buying_property_free_guide.pdf

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 12:20 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

It depends on how safe you want to be.

A Notary cheks on legalities of the transmission ( ownership, enough title for operation, legality of funds, money laundering preventions...) but does not check the previous contracts to protect one of another of the purchasers and has a non partial role in the signing of the business.

Your lawyer will represent and deffend your rights, interests, guarantees...

By the way, we are offering here a guide of conveyancing for you:

http://www.costaluzlawyers.es/images/guides/buying_property_free_guide.pdf

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 1:15 PM by semo Star rating in Ireland. 84 posts Send private message

Your lawyer will represent and deffend your rights, interests, guarantees...

Not always the case as a lot of us have discovered.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 1:52 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, you are right. Lamentably!

Fortunately we are under professional rules and need to respond of our diligence and proffessionalism.

All registered lawyers in Spain have indemnity insurance

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 3:41 PM by alvaroespantaleon Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

No need at all. Buying and selling is quite safe in Spain. However, if you are buying in rustic land when you thought otherwise or you are buying in land later to be renamed as rural after a legal process or if you are buying to close to the beach unknowningly or if the law suddenly changes or if the building is not properly constructed, etc, the lawyer will be of little help if any.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 5:02 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

The question asked is "When selling"  i have just sold my house in Spain and did not use a solicitor or Lawyer, it was very quick with no problems at all, i did ask my Spain based Solicitor but at 900€ decided no.

I did use one, the same one i still have now some years ago when i bought the house, her fee was very good back then, but one thing bothered me even then, i asked "Can you find out if the house would come under this illegal building thing and have a chance of being bashed down?" her answer did surprise me "No we cant find that out" i thought bloody lot of good you are then, but i wanted the house and proceded with it, glad that i did.

You dont even need a solicitor in the UK to buy and sell your house, i had one when i bought my now house brand new, the best Solicitor you could find, what a tosser, big time. Never again.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 5:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Baz
                 You don’t even need a solicitor in the UK to buy and sell your house,

(sorry following Baz and going off thread)

The problem I found some years ago in UK was that the Building Society ‘forced’ me to have one.

But as you say you don't need one, just like buying a car or buying anything else.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 5:31 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Hi johnzx.

Yes true what you say about the lenders, some years ago i bought one house with no solicitors at all, i told the seller what i was doing, i went to the council to check the house over ie: planing / rates / services, you know the score, took about a day to do some extra checks, cost nothing, went to the lender and told them what i wanted to borrow and they did ask who the solicitor was and was a bit shocked when i said "Me" but agreed everything, whole process took about 2 weeks and that was only because the seller was on a boat to Aus,.

When i bought the house i am now in i told the solicitor not to send letters out as i would collect and maybe answer at the same time because i drove past his office twice a day, he didn't like that one bit, because it took about ten days to send and answer back one letter, so that looks like they are doing a good job...they are not...crooks all of them.

On average it takes about 3 months plus to buy or sell here and the only reason for that is to justify the stupid overpriced invoice they give you. 

I know things have changed a lot, and it has to be said if you want 100% piece of mind perhaps it's best to employ the crooks, but then again if anything went wrong with the sell or buy trying to get the solicitor to admit to his mistakes...stick pins in your eyes....less pain.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 6:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Baz

I have had experience of working with the Law Society in prosecuting wayward solicitors. It was always very clear that the Society would bend over backwards to avoid taking any action if at all possible.

The Law Society is of course financed by solicitors and he who pays the piper   ………..

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 8:02 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

Ive got one 750 inclusive of iva i dont want to muck the sale up by  doing  something wrong.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2013 11:36 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

I have never conducted a spanish conveyance, but I wouldn't advise it; especially if your Spanish isn't up to legal jargon.    The buyers solicitor will inevitably request a number of pre-contract enquiries and these could cover a multitude of different property matters.  Your solicitor will issue a contract and liaise with your mortgage company if you redeem a loan.
Can you do that? If you have any doubts then it's best to seek  professional assistance.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
29 Jan 2013 9:16 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Foxy It is totally different from UK.

The buyer practically never asks questions of the seller as in UK, all the important info is recorded in the Property Registry, the buyer would obtain a copy,  and any 'extras’ (furniture, fittings included etc) would normally in the Compraventa which is often drawn up by the real estate agent if one is involved.

The mortgage entity undertakes the recovery of the mortgage and a representative of the bank etc is present at the Notary’s when the contract is signed

The Notary must ensure that the buyer and seller understand everything, thus translator/s must be present, usually it is a person on the notary’s staff. They must also ensure the proerty is free of debt and that the owner is able to pass ownership.

As I said, in essence no different from buying or selling a car, in fact in Spain, maybe easier than a car !!

Like 0      
29 Jan 2013 10:55 AM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Thank you once again John for your posting.  I can see why a solicitor would not be so necessary under these circumstances.  As you know I practised criminal law but have had to acquaint myself with the odd conveyance in the past in the UK.  A fairly complex procedure with a plethora of forms involved with strict guidelines to adhere to.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
29 Jan 2013 3:18 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Well, I would just add that there are cases and cases and lawyers and lawyers...

Do not you agree?

Cheers!

María

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
31 Jan 2013 4:20 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

i think i would always employ a lawyer in spain

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dation and balance VII. Out of Court sales-auctions - 0 posts
Finally Moving to Spain - 9 posts
Prescription charges - 3 posts
Bank sales, repossessions. - 4 posts
TomTom Start 60 with free lifetime maps - 3 posts
20% Discount Calais-Dover book before 31 Jan - 0 posts
Claim against Bank for return of Deposit when FOL issued - 1 posts
What's going on in the blogs? - 0 posts
A good travel agent needed - 0 posts
Ideas for nice spanish towns to stay in within an hour of Alicante in March. - 2 posts
Expat Travel Insurance - 8 posts
For Sale - Black five door 1.5 diesel Renault Clio - 0 posts
Audi A4 Avant [RHD] 2.0 TDi - 5800 Euro - 0 posts
Suggestions for Improving EOS - 0 posts
Driving In France - Change on requirement for breathalyzer kit - 0 posts
GENERIC GUARANTEE FOR ROYAL DREAMS OF ALBUDEITE - SOLERA EL TRAMPOLIN - 0 posts
re many thanks to Costaluz lawyers - 4 posts
driving in Spain - 0 posts
Property in Competa now available - 0 posts
Casares Del Sol - 0 posts
NIE and Residencia corrections - 3 posts
Visa Cards in Spain - 6 posts
How can I change from Endesa - 0 posts
WANTED- guest beds - 0 posts
Cameron promises in/out referendum on EU - 102 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x