The Government wants help with Red-Tape Reform!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jan 2013 5:04 PM by doedoe Star rating in Berkshire. 59 posts Send private message

Lawless Spain

I have just spoken to 2 families of purchases that live in the uk as I do, the first said tha complex looks like a rubbish dump the second who went over for a holiday in mid December, to find that the squatters in the apartment above had climbed down to the ground floor from the 1st floor and broken into the void window, removed anything that was of value like TV electric good etc. A great thing to find when you go out to Spain for a break.

The Spanish Police in the Village came to see what had happened but could do nothing as the goods stolen were not on the premises, foot prints on the wall and in the yard were not proof that these squatters were guilty. 

These squatters are using the community utilities and pay nothing, we are not able to disconnect the utilities because the squatters have children. lots of damage have been done to our lovely complex of 50 apartments and nothing can be done.

The squatters must have broken into the apartments they are living as all were secure in the Summer 2012. 

Spanish residents have moved out as they fear the antics of the squatters.

What can be done to protect our spanish homes when the police are not able to protect our property.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 4:19 PM by Joddy Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

If the Government wants help to catch up on tax get the community Presidents to have to disclose who rents their property.

Also, how can a town council expect to survive when there seems to be no link between the properties that have been sold and the IBI that gets collected.  Surely somebody could work out that, if 44 properties have been sold then IBI should be collected on all 44!

Their whole systems seem to need over-hauling and merging.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 4:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Joddy
If the Government wants help to catch up on tax get the community Presidents to have to disclose who rents their property.

If a property standing empty then there is no income for the local community, if it is rented  then there is. The tax which may be lost on a rental is more than compensated for by it being occupied rather than standing empty. If any action is needed it is to ensure than all properties are occupied, forget the tax.

Also, how can a town council expect to survive when there seems to be no link between the properties that have been sold and the IBI that gets collected.  Surely somebody could work out that, if 44 properties have been sold then IBI should be collected on all 44!

All completed properties incur an IBI charge. All properties which change hands are registered in the town hall’s Property Registry office, thus the town hall always knows who any new owner is.

Their whole systems seem to need over-hauling and merging.

As I explained you seem not to be aware how the system already works.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/01/2013.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 4:46 PM by Joddy Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

John,

Interesting points:

If a property standing empty then there is no income for the local community, if it is rented  then there is. The tax which may be lost on a rental is more than compensated for by it being occupied rather than standing empty. If any action is needed it is to ensure than all properties are occupied, forget the tax.

Why should we forget the tax, so many properties are very well occupied throughout the year but do their owners pay any tax?  So many seem to conveniently "forget" 

All completed properties incur an IBI charge. All properties which change hands are registered in the town hall’s Property Registry office, thus the town hall always knows who any new owner is.

They may well know all the owners but, how to bill them?  Our own council just cannot get the address right for our comunitie, the poor post woman doesn't stand a chance.  Many owners just don't bother to go to the town hall to collect their IBI

As I explained you seem not to be aware how the system already works.

I am very well aware of how the system works or not as I frequently find. I own in Spain and am constantly amazed at how systems just don't seem to gel.  Not that the UK does much better sometimes.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 5:15 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Joddy

Why should we forget the tax, so many properties are very well occupied throughout the year but do their owners pay any tax?  So many seem to conveniently "forget"

Increasingly properties  are standing empty. Thus as I said, no income derived for the local town, shop keepers, restaurants etc, and also,  if let to residents, who are obliged to register on the padron,  then the town gets a fairly big subsidy from the Regional Gov.

Many owners just don't bother to go to the town hall to collect their IBI

All the better for the town hall.

The charge is still incurred and if not paid then a fine is also added. 

There is no obligation on the town hall to notify property owners of the charge, or  in fact any of the local taxes.  The charges are on the property so if it is sold they are still payable.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 06/01/2013.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 6:27 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

It seems the Spanish government has no concept of cashflow, its ok have owed monies outstanding that will attract fines when the property is sold but if the income is delayed how do the government department carry on paying the bills for the services they provide etc.... Easy.. they borrow money to carry on functioning.... which has to be paid back with interest and so the world goes round until now, thats why we have the problems today because instead of  doing the job properly borrowed money has been used to aid cashflow, a bit like living on a credit card, governments should make the effort to collect taxes ontime by actively controlling and chasing due monies and not sitting thinking its not important because eventually you will have to pay anyway.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2013 9:25 PM by Joddy Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Couldn't agree more.  

Like 0      
07 Jan 2013 11:10 AM by steppsgirl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Yes this seems a good idea, however, as others have said, site will not accept NIE number, so effectively descriminates against those legally registered into the Spanish system. A case for the European Court?

It would seem the only way would be a collective submission as has been suggested.

So, the matter I would liked looked at is the disparity between the Mainland and the Canaries and then the same again between Las Palmas and Arricefe. It all looks to me like a method to double tax those of us living away from the "government island" and the Mainland.

There is also an indiscriminate application of custom dues on parcels that go through Madrid and  Las Palmas. A calender from Help4Heros was held up in customs and required my NIE in the address. This has been resent as requested so I await with bated breath as to whether it will be delvered without custom dues, as it should be.

D J Fraser

Like 0      
07 Jan 2013 12:11 PM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

I substituted an 0 for the X at the beginning of my NIE and it worked!  Work that one out.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2013 3:50 PM by doedoe Star rating in Berkshire. 59 posts Send private message

Property standing empty in Spain,

Apart from 2 legal residents in a block of 50 apartments a third of the properties have squatters. The complex completed in 2007 is still waiting for the local council to provide the Habitsation Certificate without which we are unable to get individual meters for our investment.

6 years taxes could of been collected for the apartments let by the builder or his sidekick, The builder went bankrupt in 2008 & failed to complete many areas he charge the purchasers for. He pays no community fee and still lets the properties which are on communial utilities.

The reason that not all the Spanish taxes are paid for all the apartments. they are not legal as we have no Habitation Certificates. 

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Campo/Pueblo/Urbanisation? - 5 posts
Resident Non EU citizens travelling outside Spain - 2 posts
New Here - 0 posts
Hi there!!! - 2 posts
Buying a car - 0 posts
Vueling does anyone have experience of using this airline - 10 posts
Sailing in Costa Blanca area - 0 posts
New noisy bar in comunidad, Costa Blanca - 6 posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR. - 0 posts
Bank Properties? - 12 posts
Ryanair - An open letter that says it all - 24 posts
legal question if someone can help me please - 3 posts
Honda CRV luxury - 4 posts
trigger - 3 posts
Happy 2013 from Costaluzlawyers - 4 posts
A Record to be proud of.. - 1 posts
Non Resident Taxes HELP/ADVICE NEEDED - 13 posts
Prescriptions can anyone help - 2 posts
Wanted 3-6 month Rental Property - 1 posts
Costructing my European identity further - 1 posts
Spanish House exchange - 5 posts
What happened to the ICP? - 8 posts
Help for a non-EU citizen wanting to spend time in Spain - 0 posts
How much reduction is it customary to ask for on asking price - 28 posts
Robin-Hood-Style Politics -Tax the Rich to feed the Poor - 18 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 50

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x