What happened to the ICP?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Dec 2012 12:58 PM by Titters Star rating in Mijas & West Yorkshi.... 4 posts Send private message

Some time ago I read that we would all have to have an ICP fitted. I never received the letter advising me to do so and hence did nothing. Is this requirement still going on or has it been dropped (as many reports have suggested it should)?

Like 0      
29 Dec 2012 6:57 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I had the registered letter nearly 2 years ago. 

My property was built over 20 years ago, newer properties could already have an ICP fitted.

As I understand it this was brought in to stop people paying for the lowest contract 3.3w but using above this amount.  I did notice a slight change afterwards. 

Over the years I've had to learn what items can be used at the same time before tripping electric.  I realised in my first couple of trips out why there are candles in every shop, I also have torches everywhere as with the shutters closed it's like the black hole of calcutta when it's trips. 

As a non resident I don't see the point of paying a higher standing charge 5.5w  for the months I'm not there.

Like 0      
30 Dec 2012 4:55 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

we had it fitted two months ago.. The house is 10 years old-should never have had 3.3 kw power; it's not allowed now , it's 5.5kw now as standard. to upgrade is expensive..

Like 0      
30 Dec 2012 6:35 PM by Titters Star rating in Mijas & West Yorkshi.... 4 posts Send private message

THANKS FOR THAT, WHAT IS INVOLVED IN THE UPGRADE TO 5.5kw PLEASE? How expensive is it?

Like 0      
30 Dec 2012 8:16 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

A few misconceptions on what the "potencia" and upgrade is.  Firstly, all properties from 2002 onward should be more than capable of handling the 5.75 kw required (it was 5.5 until Spain and other EU countries standardised their voltage to 230v - Spain went up, UK went down).  3.3 kw is insufficient to handle the modern appliances required, dishwasher/washing machine/big TV/kettle/possibly aircon etc and should be upgraded to 5.75.  

Firstly you will need a boletin.  This is certificate of electrical safety and must be completed by a qualified electrician.  The power company will charge you around 600 euros for this but a good, qualified electrician will be able to do this for around 250 euros.  Anyone on the S Costa Blanca who needs one, give me a nod and I will PM you a very good electrician who can do this.  Once the fuse box has been checked to ensure all circuits are correctly wired (and they will be if you have more than 5 breaker circuits in your fuse box) the electrician can fit the ICP for around 30 euros. 

Once this is done and you have the boletin and ICP, you need to take out a new contract with Iberdrola.  Their charges are as follows:

Just over 17 euros per extra kilowatt.  Access rights charge (no, I don't know what that means) 19 euros per extra kilowatt.  Once this is done, Iberdrola will inspect and seal the ICP and charge 9 euros for the privelege.  Of course, VAT is then added.

If you have a property over 20 years old, you may need the cabling to the property changed for a minimum 6mm cable. 

If your property is 10 years old or less, it will probably cost about 350 euros all told.

Of course, if you are quite happy to lose the TV every time you switch the kettle on or lose your heating when you want to run the washing machine, keep to the 3.3.

Like 0      
31 Dec 2012 1:49 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I would like to know the name of an electrician qualified to upgrade, please, in the Mazarron area. Our house is 10 years old and should never had the 3.3 potencia.

Like 0      
31 Dec 2012 11:36 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I'm able to watch TV and boil a kettle.  We have a 32" lcd TV and can use this with the air con on. 

We do have problems when cooking and when we have oven on we can use TV but have to switch off water heater and can only use 3 hobs or it will trip.

It's annoying but as I said previously upgrading is something I'll consider doing when we're out there on a permanent basis.  It is managable once you find out what will and won't work together. 

Like 0      
01 Jan 2013 9:40 AM by Titters Star rating in Mijas & West Yorkshi.... 4 posts Send private message

Thanks, we too are not here (Mijas) permanently but, as I said, we haven't been told by Endesa to put an ICP in yet - so I haven't. Many of my neighbours are in a similar position so I thought the push had gone off! We'll see what happens in the coming months!

Like 0      
01 Jan 2013 11:21 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Here in Costa Blanca Iberdola sent out registered letters to all household which need to have the ICP fitted.  I received 2 notifications when I arrived at Easter that a registered letter was awaiting collection but as the dates had passed I never collected them.  Instructions of what to do were included with a bill so I followed them.

A friend who lives near by never received anything as her house was built in 2002/2003.

There were reports that anyone who didn't have the ICP fitted would be paying higher bills as they would be increasing the charges by default to encourage consumers to conform.  

My neighbours have returned to UK, I collect their mail and forward it to them on my return.  They never had the ICP fitted and I've often seen yellow registered letter notifications in the post for them and the previous owners of the house.  The amount of electricity they use each year is minimal as it's only turned on when estate agent shows someone around.

T - When and if Endessa wants you to put an ICP in then you will definately know.  

As I said previously it will be up to the individual consumers to decide whether they need to upgrade to 5.5.  If I was having a lot of problems then I would definately upgrade.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help for a non-EU citizen wanting to spend time in Spain - 0 posts
How much reduction is it customary to ask for on asking price - 28 posts
Robin-Hood-Style Politics -Tax the Rich to feed the Poor - 18 posts
Electricity in Spain, does anyone understand it? - 86 posts
Too late for an accomodation in Madrid for New Eve? - 2 posts
this ought to cheer everyone up - 1 posts
Brummie who moved to Oz seeks renewed contact - 0 posts
Newbie here :) - 1 posts
Long Term Parking at Malaga Airport - 0 posts
Septic tank on old property, what to do - 4 posts
Merry Christmas - 0 posts
Remote controlled cars - 2 posts
Some Help please - 7 posts
Great Spanish Crash - 2 posts
Advice on taking a dog to Spain on a plane??? - 6 posts
Hi :) Alpacas in Spain - 2 posts
Hoja de reclamaciones - 10 posts
NEW CHAPTER FOR 2014 - 8 posts
If you want to make a difference and stop the injustice - 11 posts
Never really sure how to start. Hello is always a good bet... - 5 posts
BBC 1 HD listed on Astra 2F, UK satellite TV, Spain - 0 posts
Living in a Portacabin? - 5 posts
Where is nearest police station to get an NIE number from Los alcazares? - 8 posts
Christmas Letter from Costaluz - 3 posts
Late payment of non residents tax. - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x