Am I eligible for Plan PIVE?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Dec 2012 6:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kath,

In various posts I have said several times I have confirmed,  what I said, with the Hacienda.

I made the enquires for a friend who does not speak Spanish but whose non-resident bank account was frozen when she registered, albeit, that she spends less than 183 day a year here and her 'centre of economic activities’ is in UK
Mijas Town Hal has also confirmed it, as too I understand, have Blevins Franks, and it is on their web page somewhere.

However, Kath,  if you prefer to think otherwise, fine.
Of course if it affects you, or you really want to know the facts, you too could call Hacienda.
But,  No problem  either way.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2012 7:53 PM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Hi johnzx

I AMA resident so it doesn't apply to me, but I do post on a number of forums, and I have a reasonable knowledge of the tax situation in Spain, so I generally post in responses to questions. However, if I believe that a post is wrong, I will say so, as I also believe that many people read the forums without ever joining, or asking questions, so, particularly as you seems to be a prolific poster, with some great, informative replies, they will take what you say as correct, and I believe it is fundamentally wrong, which is why I asked where it said so on the Hacienda site.

I did read some of your other posts on this yesterday, and saw the post about your friends bank account, although I recall (but I can't find the post now), they they released it when she completed a non-resident form. This to me seemed to clarify that by registering, they do not think you are tax resident, but, until you complete the form, the bank should consider you as a resident, and deduct tax from any interest they pay you. This is very different from being a tax resident, and having to submit a declaration on all your worldwide income. You have already pointed out the circumstances when you could be a tax resident if you spend less than 183 days in Spain, which is to do with centre of economics interests etc

I'm sure Mijas Town Hall provide great information, but I'm not sure I would rely on them for tax advice. As far as Blevins Franks are concerned, the quote below is from their website, which I think makes it pretty clear, registration is nothing to do with tax status.

"EU, EEA (European Economic Area) and Swiss nationals have the right to reside in Spain for more than three months a year. This is provided they apply in person at their local Oficina de Extranjeros or a designated police station, within three months of arrival. They are then registered in the Central Register of Foreigners.

Spain has now introduced new residency rules for all EU/EEA/Swiss citizens. The basic rule above still stands, but they have tightened up the requirements.

Note that these new measures have no bearing on whether you are a tax resident in Spain or not. Tax residence is a separate issue and assessed on different criteria. You can be tax resident in Spain even if you do not apply for a formal residence permit. It is your responsibility to register for, and pay, tax if you meet one of Spain’s tax residence rules. The authorities are cracking down on people who meet the residence rules but have not been paying tax in Spain."

Like 0      
28 Dec 2012 8:53 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As I said, you too could call Hacienda.

It would appear you have not.

Please do not mis-quote me i.e

I did read some of your other posts on this yesterday, and saw the post about your friends bank account,  although I recall (but I can't find the post now), they released it when she completed a non-resident form.

Not so.   She had to cancel her EU registration.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/12/2012.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2012 9:08 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

Kath - the section you quote from the Blevins Franks website does not definitively clarify that there is "no link" between registration on the EU Citizens' Register and tax-residency, as you claim. What it says is that you can be tax resident without having registered. What is very important for people to be aware of is that the Hacienda is using registration on the EU Citizens's register as being ONE quite strong indicator that you may well be fiscally resident on account of being likely to be resident for more than 183 nights.

Not to be confused with the Padron, of course, which does NOT have any link to fiscal residency.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
28 Dec 2012 10:05 PM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

"Kath - the section you quote from the Blevins Franks website does not definitively clarify that there is "no link" between registration on the EU Citizens' Register and tax-residency, as you claim"

Err, so, what does this sentence mean then ?

"Note that these new measures have no bearing on whether you are a tax resident in Spain or not. Tax residence is a separate issue and assessed on different criteria."

"What is very important for people to be aware of is that the Hacienda is using registration on the EU Citizens's register as being ONE quite strong indicator"

I have no argument with that, but that's a very different statement to saying

"If you do that, according the Hacienda, you are immediately tax resident in Spain"

Like 0      
28 Dec 2012 10:22 PM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

"As I said, you too could call Hacienda.

It would appear you have not."

Well, I did call but the office was closed. I did post the extract from Blevins, which, IMHO makes it clear, that the advice I'm sure you got from the Hacienda is incorrect.

However, It's clear you're not going to accept that you might be wrong, so I can't see the point of continuing this discussion.

"Please do not mis-quote me i.e

I did read some of your other posts on this yesterday, and saw the post about your friends bank account, although I recall (but I can't find the post now), they released it when she completed a non-resident form.
Not so. She had to cancel her EU registration"

I think I did indicate I was posting from memory, so I.'m sorry if I didn't quote you exactly.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2012 9:35 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tamara,
                   Apologies for us having ‘hijacked’ your post on PIVE.

Kathy

Blevins Quote  

Note that these new measures have no bearing on whether you are a tax resident in Spain or not. Tax residence is a separate issue and assessed on different criteria. You can be tax resident in Spain even if you do not apply for a formal residence permit. It is your responsibility to register for, and pay, tax if you meet one of Spain’s tax residence rules. The authorities are cracking down on people who meet the residence rules but have not been paying tax in Spain.

Having discussed this with Blevins, I should like to point out that their intention was to make it clear that one did not necessarily need to make any  formal registration, to become in fact tax resident, i.e. by one's circumstances they could become tax resident without any formal application of any kind..

That is what:    "Note that these new measures have no bearing on whether you are a tax resident in Spain or not."   is intended to convey.  

This message was last edited by johnzx on 29/12/2012.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2013 4:42 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

It appears that a Plan PIVE mark 2 was launched on the 4th Feb.

Cars over 10 years old can now qualify instead of the 12 years previously

http://www.autobild.es/noticias/plan-pive-ayuda-compra-vehiculos-eficientes-188575

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

am receiving strange calls on my mobile...... - 1 posts
Tax resident - 32 posts
Electronic Submission of Form 210 - 30 posts
Buying UK products in Spain - 3 posts
Satellite TV in Spain - 1 posts
Non residence tax - 0 posts
Aqualandia - 1 posts
Mercers Estate Agents, Made our dream come true.! - 0 posts
Desperate times..... - 2 posts
Spain keeps turning down dollars - 2 posts
Automatic residency rights if you buy a house in Spain - 4 posts
Roof coverings - 0 posts
3 Seater Sofa For Sale - 0 posts
Estate agents duquesa - 0 posts
Best Freesat Box for Malaga area - 0 posts
buying a new car - costa del sol - 11 posts
WANTED Spain Registerd LHD Car, Estate preferably may consider SWAP - 1 posts
We could be getting some more ex coppers on the Costas - 1 posts
SELLING SPANISH CAR IN ENGLAND - 5 posts
Peugeot 206 Bonnet Needed - 0 posts
Water Heater, Electric 50 litre For Sale - 0 posts
Final hearing decision - 0 posts
Moving to Javea and need mobile phone and broadband - 3 posts
Lawyer WAS neglegent !?!? - 6 posts
UK TV satellite changes due shortly - Astra 1N to be replaced by 2F - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x