Import rules for used clothing

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Nov 2012 9:26 PM by hrespana Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Does anyone know what the requirements are if someone is sending used clothes to Spain?  A friend from the USA is sending some of my stuff over to me but has seen, on the USPS website, that the clothing needs a "certificate of disinfection" !!

I've never heard of this before and it's come as a bit of surprise.  When I moved here, I brought all my used clothes with me and didn't have any problems.  So can some enlightened soul advise me please?  Thank you.

customs duty clothes disinfection

Like 0      
05 Nov 2012 10:25 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Think it may be to make sure there are no "bugs" on the clothes. When my daughter moved back to england from the Bahamas she had to have her stuff disenfected, but it was on pallets. 

Like 0      
06 Nov 2012 7:10 AM by hrespana Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Maybe the Bahamas has got more bugs than the UK then?  I'd like to know what the actual rules are though since I certainly didn't have my clothes disinfected when I moved here.

I've also had things sent from the UK, which were used items, and they didn't have any certificates either.

So, there's either a rule that only applies to certain countries or to all (and the Spanish customs ignores it !!!).   Anyone know or know where I can find out?  Thanks

Like 0      
06 Nov 2012 9:11 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

These are the US postal service requirements on "restricted" items.  It does say a certificate is required:

Restricted Items

Don't know if this is a US or Spanish requirement, though.  

There are also many restrictions on sending items the other way which is a US requirement.  One person on a site has said have them dry cleaned and put the receipt in the package and then write "disinfection certificate enclosed" on the outside of the package.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

charity help and information needed - 2 posts
How to register a charity help and information needed - 0 posts
DHL + Buying From Abroad - BEWARE OF IMPORT TAXES AND KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS - 2 posts
Removals from UK to Spain - 4 posts
New NIE Number - 4 posts
What happens if AGM minutes are not adopted at the next AGM. - 1 posts
Must the AGM be called On tome within the anniversary date? Not longer. - 0 posts
Pre-retirement and got our S1 forms but where to take them? - 2 posts
english electrician wanted in the barcelona.area: urgent - 3 posts
Beware: Pet transport companies travelling from Spain to UK - 0 posts
Car - to buy or not to buy? - 11 posts
Duplicate Vehicle registration papers - 4 posts
Nota Simple - okay if a current mortgage shows up?? - 1 posts
Should Spain have one centralised Government? - 19 posts
Spain plans to privatise more healthcare- is this the way forward? - 52 posts
IBI - local tax - 6 posts
CAR EXCHANGE. SPANISH FOR ENGLISH - 1 posts
Norman Sands: Where are you? - 28 posts
PERSON WITH A VAN WANTED TO TRANSPORT GOODS TO ENGLAN - 5 posts
Kitchen Units / Doors / sink - 0 posts
Wrougt Iron Headboard for 5ft bed - 0 posts
Where to buy chemicals in bulk? - 5 posts
New low cost airline from January 2013 - 0 posts
Factura advice - 11 posts
New Gatwick to Alicante route - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x