Fitted Gas Fires

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Oct 2012 5:48 PM by mday Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have just moved into an apartment with mains gas at La Finca, Algorfa, it has a fitted Gazco radiant fire. I am worried that this may be an expensive form of heating, as before I have always used an estufa with a gas bottle.

Any experiences good or bad with fitted gas fires with or without mains gas would be most welcome. Thanks.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 2:23 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

A fitted gas fire is much more greedy for bottled gas than a mobile gas heater, and now the bottles are so expensive, we are limited to having it on for a couple of hours in the evening when it is very cold. I regret not getting a wood burner.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2012 3:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The amount of gas you use will not depend on a fitted or freestanding heater, but how much you use it. The calorific value of the amount of gas would be the same in each case.

I understand though from Spanish neighbours they believe the over all cost of piped gas is a lot more than bottled, but the price of bottled now being around 16 euros, I don't know if that is still the case.

Piped is more convenient but for us electric is even better.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 2:24 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Johnx-of course the amount of gas depends on which type of gas fire you use. ours is a log effect fire which will use far more than the mobile gas heater which only has a small flame,  try putting both on, and you will find that a cylinder of gas won't even last a week on the fitted fire, even on the lowest setting, but the mobile will last several. Trouble is, the mobile will result in streaming condensation on tiled walls. If you use electric as your main form of heating , make sure you have a big bank balance!

Like 0      
01 Nov 2012 2:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I had a fitted gas fire in a previous house. I had been using a free standing one but it was rather ugly.

I did not heat the room to a higher temperature after having the fitted fire and I used no more gas than previously.

'One bar'  gives about 30 hours.

Maybe I was just lucky

We have solar heating for water, so that keeps bills down. 

The heating in the apartment  is A/C with a heat pump.  The place is well built, good insulation, double glazing. The electric bills last year were not much higher than when we used a gas fire.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/11/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Thanks to Costa Luz Lawyers - 1 posts
what I can't find in Mercadonna - 0 posts
what I can't find in Mercadonna - 21 posts
Cranes back in the Skyline...I was amazed - 45 posts
Purchasing a Property - What are the Essentials & the Pitfalls !! - 44 posts
Samsung Galaxy wanted - 2 posts
Photos of Spain - Share some great views! - 3 posts
OLD SEWING MACHINE MANUALS - 0 posts
Advice Please - 1 posts
Camposol, properties without papers (C & mainly D) - 5 posts
Spanish succession law/ New European regulation - 16 posts
EVERGREEN ELECTRICA - 0 posts
Spanish Income Tax - 3 posts
New to site and Spain - 2 posts
I agree - have waited for telephone and internet for nearly two years - 13 posts
Could you help me to expand my business? - 22 posts
Buyubg a car. - 1 posts
buying a apartment in santa pola - 4 posts
water charges Murcia - 2 posts
New agers - 7 posts
Suma - 5 posts
Discount electrical items in/near Albox - 3 posts
Knocked over by revolving door at Alicante airport! - 0 posts
New to Costa Tropical - Almuñécar - 1 posts
Royal Bank of Mortgages - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x