Insuring your holiday home…….

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Oct 2012 7:27 PM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

If you happen to have a holiday home on an urbanisation with a committee and a president, then you probably have a blanket buildings cover for all the properties on your urbanisation.
Great you might think, all you need to do is get some contents cover and you are fully covered for every eventuality.
Well, if like us you have chosen to get that contents cover from a UK based broker, you might not have the cover you expect.

Our buildings cover is arraigned through the urbanisation and it covers all the building and communal areas, including items regarded as contents of those communal areas. So we thought, let’s get the contents cover for our home from a UK based broker so that if we have to claim the process would be a lot easier as we do not speak very much Spanish.

This brought up some important issues; In the UK, building insurance generally covers the structure and all fixtures and fittings, and contents covers all the rest. So if you were to turn the house upside-down everything that falls out is contents and the rest is buildings. So I posed the question to the Spanish buildings insurer, “are the bathroom fixtures and fittings and the kitchen fixtures and fittings covered in the buildings cover?”

The answer was; “The contents of your house are not covered under the Community’s policy, only the building structure and some contents in common spaces have insurance cover in this policy.
In order to have insurance for your own contents, thus also the fixtures and fitting in bathroom and kitchen, you will need to take out your own separate insurance policy.”

Likewise the contents policy in the UK doesn’t cover the bathroom fixtures and fittings and the kitchen fixtures and fittings either.

So just be aware and make sure you get both buildings and contents cover from the same country or broker as some items might not be covered!

Like 0      
05 Oct 2012 8:35 AM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

There are some really good English speaking insurance brokers in Spain so there's no need to go with one in the UK.  Like you say, you won't get the cover you might be expecting.

Good reminder this for people though.

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
05 Oct 2012 2:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The building insurance which in usually cases (I am tempted to say, in all cases) covers the structure. Everything from the plaster on the walls is not covered.

My agent tells me I need ‘first fix’ cover for the building. In my case I have 15,000 euros cover, which my agent assures me is sufficient for a 3 bed, 2 bath apartment.  Some agent will  'encourage' you to have cover up to the maximun rebuild value, to incease their commission.

I then have contents cover too.

I discovered last year that the fitted kitchen is not covered for total replacement if say a couple of doors are damaged and they cannot be replaced with the same style/finish doors.

Also worth noting, that theft outside the home is not covered, unless it is by robbery (that is serious physical threats or injuries).  Thus if you leave a bag on the chair next to you, and it is stolen, pickpocketing etc. is not covered.  
 This is totally unlike UK insurance which will usually cover such incidents.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Getting Spanish TV channels in the UK - 17 posts
Constant high interest rate by a bank - 1 posts
Spanish public holidays, should they be moved? - 42 posts
Casa Salvador Restaurant - Cullera - 1 posts
Cadiz heist on judicial storage unit. Incredible! - 4 posts
Off shore investement firm Abbey Financial Solutions anyone able to confirm they are legitimate? - 2 posts
Polaris World - 3 posts
council tax and income tax advice - 2 posts
FOR SALE SPANISH CAR - 2 posts
IVA on insurance premiums - 1 posts
BBC satellite frequency changes Early hours of 12 October 2012: - 0 posts
Wayne Stoneman - 0 posts
AIFOS/CajaSur partnership - 0 posts
Urban Cost of Living / Working Questions - 0 posts
why do insurance agents in Spain insure uk registered cars? - 2 posts
WANTED! Reliable garage between Fuengirola & Marbella - 6 posts
Cash bonuses for doctors in the Comunidad Valenciana. What's your view? - 4 posts
Expat Property Agents Fees ! - 44 posts
Caravan wanted - 0 posts
Internet food shopping - 1 posts
Any off road clubs in the Tarragona region? - 1 posts
dire situation in spain - 5 posts
Ryder Cup - 1 posts
The easiest job in spain - 0 posts
What Fruit and Veg are at their best now? - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x