Urban Cost of Living / Working Questions

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Oct 2012 6:07 PM by LlegarALasEstrellas Star rating in United Kingdom (BHX .... 58 posts Send private message

LlegarALasEstrellas´s avatar

Hi,

I'm pretty familiar with Spain, and have visited a lot (though less in the last 5 years), but I'm thinking of moving over in the next few years and working in language tuition in Alicante or Valencia cities. I'd really appreciate any views people here have on cost of living, as well as the working scene for lagnauge tuition as I know things are pretty screwed around at the moment both cost and work wise - to say the least?!

I know costs of living are hard to say as everyone has different patterns and habits - but here's a bit about us so maybe somsone with similar way of life can help? Couple in our early 30s, we'd specifically aim to live in an urban area, renting a 2 bed flat within Alicante or Valencia city centres. Neither of us drink, smoke or go out clubbing at all, would mostly use public transport, perhaps get a small cheap car (old style Ford Ka or something similar) for get-away weekends or big shopping runs etc. We do tend to eat out, though our tastes are fairly modest, fast food or tapas once or twice a week. One we we do use a lot is landline internet, and we like creature comfort, so we would use A/C on cold in summer and warm in winter.

The other thing I'd like anyones thoughts on is working in language tuition. Obviously we know how grim the unemployment situation is in Spain is, but also have read online that for EFL teachers this has been a good time, as people try to up their English skills for work, emigration, or just for something to do. Is this actually the case, and what is the situation like specifically in Alicante and Valencia? Is there anything in paticular tuition centres are looking for, beyond the usual TEFL/CELTA, reasonable command of Spanish and some teaching experience? Have pay levels changed significantly?

On that note, is there much opportunity to have variety and a bit extra income by offering basic Spanish tuition to ex-pats? I know this used to be quite a big thing but wonder how it's been affected by The Crisis(tm)?

Sorry so many questions for a newbie, but any thought or experiences are most welcome :)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

why do insurance agents in Spain insure uk registered cars? - 2 posts
WANTED! Reliable garage between Fuengirola & Marbella - 6 posts
Cash bonuses for doctors in the Comunidad Valenciana. What's your view? - 4 posts
Expat Property Agents Fees ! - 44 posts
Caravan wanted - 0 posts
Internet food shopping - 1 posts
Any off road clubs in the Tarragona region? - 1 posts
dire situation in spain - 5 posts
Ryder Cup - 1 posts
The easiest job in spain - 0 posts
What Fruit and Veg are at their best now? - 10 posts
Wasjigs - 0 posts
mobile phones - 7 posts
Advice Please - 10 posts
Looking for opinions from young, professional couples in Spain - 1 posts
¿up the proverbial? - 0 posts
Living on 1000.euros - 125 posts
Line Dancing - Costa Tropical Area - 1 posts
Friend's grandmother clips son around ear-hole: a sign of true integration? - 9 posts
Long Term Car Hire - 5 posts
Hi, I'm new here and would like some suggestions. - 19 posts
Storms in Southern Spain - 8 posts
Geoff - 3 posts
geoff - 0 posts
The flash floods - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 1

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x