Has the ECB gone too far and will it be fair with Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Sep 2012 12:09 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

This is a major discussion topic with colleagues and friends at the moment :The famous Lisbon Treaty. We all know that at the beginning of the year Mario Draghi the newly appointed director of the ECB, but previously European Director of Goldman Sachs, went probably too far by printing 489 billion euros and handing it to 523 European banks with absolutely no strings attached, and with no upper limit on the amount he was prepared to lend. I think there is something very badly wrong with a system where the US Fed Reserve managed to secretly print 1200 billion dollars for the Banking system at 0.01% interest and governments like Greece have to pay 600 times more due to the fact that the ECB won’t lend money to states but it will lend it to Banks at 1-1,5% interest who in turn lend it on for 4-5% at a massive profit. Why can’t the ECB work like other central Banks for example the Bank of England or the Federal Reserve? Why can’t they work more directly to help European countries by buying up the debt? If they are all going to print money anyway what difference does it make? Contrary to the widely accepted idea that the ECB is prevented from lending to governments by the Lisbon treaty, it turns out that the ECB can perfectly well lend money to "publicly-owned credit institutions", as stipulated by paragraph 2 of Article 123 of the Lisbon Treaty.

This fact has been clearly (deliberately?) ignored by Mario Draghi. He has publicly refused to consider lending to governments, apparently backed by the Germans, preferring to lend unlimited amounts of very cheap printed money to commercial banks that they immediately stick under the mattress, The Spanish people are still not seeing any loans, any entrepreneurial financing and cash flow credit is pretty much impossible to get any significant sum.  Effectively, there is no limit to the amount of money that the ECB is prepared to print for Banks, according to a representative of the ECB in a recent interview. With the Spanish bailout on the horizon, many are worried that the conditions will be as harsh as the ones enforced on Greece, which is obviously not working. The big underlying question is when the money goes to banks there are no questions asked but when it goes to Governments they step into politics. Is it going too far?

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 9:04 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

This is exactly why the break up of the Euro is imperitive. How can individual governments run the country when they are bossed by the fat cat banks. To be dictated to by the Euro Central Bank who then look after their Bank "buddies" in the associate countries is dispicable & very dishonest, but then the European Parliament is notorious for it.  For years it has been known that it was the greedy banks from all over the western world who started this mess. 

I know the do gooders are going to come out of the woodwork but the Spanish government would be able to do so much more if they were to have complete control of all monies. The Spaniards have to leave the Euro they now have no choice. Yea, tell me about devaluation, that the new peso will only be worth half the figure, but exports will rocket as they will then be cheap to buy in comparison. Tourism would massively increase as the cost to holliday in Spain would be cheap & would know no bounds, the country would start to vibrate again. So, you will say, savings in Spanish banks wil linitially suffer, but it will be only temporary. Spain would become the strongest economy in Europe possibly the world because there are so many raw commodities, the most important being the Sun, the wonderful Land & THE PEOPLE. Spain should also consider leaving the Union completely. Switzerland & Norway manage, the EU beg to deal with them, not the other way round.

As a final proof the UK in the seventies was in an awful mess & were forced to devalue, but then the boom started causing Prime Minister Macmillan to say to the British public, "you have never had it so good".

So the next thing you gonna try to throw at me is the reprinting of the peso & the changeover. NO PROBLEM.  When Slovakia split from the czechs  after the wars. The changeover was effective from a Monday so on the Friday evening prior every bank was visited by a Government Official with little stamps & every note altered. The swap over was completed in just a few days.

Only one country got it right, Iceland. Money is now totally controlled by that Government who themselves are openly accountable to the people. The Bank executives responsible were not paid extortionate bonuses  but were rooted out and sent Gaol.Fat cat bonuses are now only paid reasonably & for honest profit. Losses have bonuses forfeited, as they are for dismissals. But most importantly Iceland is repaying their debts. They have repaid the UK to whom they owed Billions in full & are also doing so to neighbouring Counties.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 9:22 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Whilst I agree it would be better for Spain to withdraw from the Euro and they could then set their own interest rates etc, I doubt if it would ever become one of Europe's strongest economies.  Exports would be cheaper but imports would increase.  Then you'd have the double whammy of a devalued currency plus extra cost for imports which, like UK in 70s, would cause inflation.

Just a couple of points, Spain used the Peseta, not the Peso which is Mexican currency.  

Harold Macmillan said you've never had it so good during the election of 1959.  As he ceased being Prime Minister in 1963 I don't think the events of the 70s had anything to do with it.

Leaving the EU entirely would not work in Spain's favour.  The EU has been, and continues to be, good for Spain except for the monetary union situation.  I agree, one size does not fit all and a strong German economy with low interest rates may suit Germany, for example, but not Spain where the economy all round is getting weaker.  

Spain is hardly rich in raw commodities.  It has no oil or significant minerals.  The car industry, once one of the biggest employers, has been in decline for some years.  Yes, it has the sun.  But if that were a sign of wealth, Greece would be up there with the big boys.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 9:33 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

This message was last edited by gerrryuk on 22/09/2012.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 1:57 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

What Spain should/shouldn't do are matters of opinion, and pointing out your errors is not arguing.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 7:21 AM by buffalowind Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I would be interested to hear from Gerryuk as to exactly what natural resources (apart from sun) that he thinks Spain has in order to support itself outside of a common economic community?
The argument for coming out seems to be based on half remembered information which, when scrutinised, has no significant factual basis or bearing on the discussion.
This leads me to discount his argument as complete nonsense. So please enlighten us, if you will Gerryuk?

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 9:40 AM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Tourism, Wind,coal, lignite, iron ore, copper, lead, zinc, uranium, tungsten, mercury, pyrites, magnesite, fluorspar, gypsum, sepiolite, kaolin, potash, hydropower, 3 types of natural salt.,arable land. Crude oil & natural Gas has also been produced in recent years

Total rubbish Buffalo look sonny, its not half thought out at all.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 5:40 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

In fact many people are saying bring back the peseta and devalue! But I don’t think it’s the austerity that is killing the Spanish economy but the threat of insolvency. Since the European economy is not willing to totally mutualise risks the knock on effect is that some countries may prefer to abandon the euro rather than restructure their public and private debt, no capital seems to be safe inside any of the candidates who could  default and depreciate their currencies. 

Leaving the euro and depreciating a new currency may seem like an easy and fast way to correct current imbalances. You could say that Spain would regain competitiveness and attract foreign capital by offering assets at bargain prices. But returning to the peseta might not be as attractive as it seems: currency devaluations are no different to a default on external liabilities, transferring debtors’ problems to creditors; and currency devaluations increase the cost of imports and unless they can be replaced by internal production, may have a limited impact on export competitiveness. 

I think reforms, although tough are necessary as a country cannot spend what it doesn't have, simple economics, so I think internal adjustments and reforms to government spending in Spain are healthy and converting to the peseta may tempt politicians to avoid the real problem. I just think the ECB could do a hell of a lot more to help out by loaning funds at a mínimum rate directly to the country without passing through  “private banks” where a few fat cats are doing the business of the century and it shouldn't  get so involved in politics. 

Given Spain’s track record with devaluation; between 1992 and 1995, the peseta was devalued a 30%, while the unemployment rate remained above  20% up to 1998, so one shouldn’t think that an implosion of the eurozone would help the Spanish and world economy to recover. To be honest it would probably be exactly the opposite. Spain has a fundamental problems with industry, it’s main industry is Tourism, Arable land (fruit and vegetables), and now renewable energies, the rest really means nothing in terms of real income, but if it were to return to the peseta and devalue, once again we would have a flood of foreigners buying up properties, a need to build even more properties and the construction business would boom again, which is not a real industry, as the demand will eventually fall again and we will be back to square one.

Spain needs to invest in new industries for the future and innovate, but obviously need financing to do it at a fair price. 

This message was last edited by mac75 on 23/09/2012.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Living in Madrid on 1200 E - 2 posts
Moving to alicante - 0 posts
WARNING TO ALL - 31 posts
Interview with the planning councillor of Orihuela. - 0 posts
Can't get residencia status. - 19 posts
changing endesa electricity bill from company name to personal name - 5 posts
Wealth Tax to stay - 0 posts
Those who like to say, 'Rip Off Spain' - 0 posts
Looking for kids for fashionshoot in Almeria - 0 posts
Buying turf in Marbella area - 1 posts
Alicante / Condado del Alhama Taxi/Airport transfer - 1 posts
ADMINISTRATOR QUESTION RE AGM - 3 posts
Is Now The Time to Buy or Sell ?? - 258 posts
Adelson wants 40% of a municipal district for his Eurovegas !! - 0 posts
What is going on with Ryanair in Spain? - 48 posts
CAR INSURANCE SPAIN LINEA DIRECT - 39 posts
Agent advice - 2 posts
Should the UK have adopted the EURO ? - 1 posts
Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
Renault Megan RX4 - 0 posts
Should my wife get medical cover based on my Social Security or her UK pension - 5 posts
Flat in Marbella! - 1 posts
Furnitire for sale, Costa del Sol - 0 posts
The new 3 month rule for registering - 5 posts
Planning application in spain - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x