Corvera Airport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jul 2012 12:09 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

On reading the lastest in this saga on Murcia Todays website I have to say that I will be very surprised if this airport ever opens.  It now seems that the military are not happy with the location of the airport and it may also step on the toes of NATO.  To read the full story click here www.murciatoday.com/corvera-airport-opposition-politicians-demand-answers_12319-a.html  

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 9:37 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

To what extent does the future of Paramount in Murcia depend on this airport?   To be honest, I cannot see either of these projects coming to fruition.  And with all the huffing and puffing about NATO and security, I think the bottom line is that there is over capacity in Spanish airports, and when the government stops subsidising them (as it says it will have to do if they are not viable), then we are more likely to see more closures than openings of new airports.  

I know people will jump in saying what a waste of public money, but this project at least started off as a private  operation - so not entirely the governments fault.  

I am just holding my breath for the high speed train - which still seems to be progressing.

Brian

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 5:19 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Having read a few reports on Corvera and San Javier airports  there is at the moment no definite final decision. However here are some of the facts as stated by the relevant sides.

AENA have not signed any final agreement to take over Corvera.  Before they do take over they need somewhere in the region of €70 to €80 million to cover the costs of updating MJV. The people behind Corvera (a PRIVATE AIRPORT) have 'run out of money' and have used the €200 million guarantee from Murcia region. There is no money left to pay AENA the €70+million.

Work is still progressing in obtaining the relevant approvals for flight paths etc. for Corvera. However the military are objecting to flight paths etc. because of several military sites nearby. This might mean a difficult approach to the airport and a problem of radar because of height etc.

The owners of Corvera hope that it will open sometime in 2013. This is admirable as the correct approvals etc. should be in place by then. The infrastructure should be in place. However to succeed as an airport they need flights to land there (and take off)

Now lets look at San Javier Airport (MJV)

Aena have spent in excess of €70million in the last few years to update the airport. This money needs to be recouped by either ongoing usage or by a 'lump sum' from the owners of Corvera

Aena have contracts with staff at MJV. These contracts do not include the compolsory move to Corvera so compensation needs to be found.

AENA are about to negotiate new sales areas. In December 2012/January2013 they will award contracts to businesses for sales areas at MJV. These contracts are solely for MJV and nothing to do with Corvera and will be for about 5 years. Once signed this will mean that MJV MUST stay open for the next 5 years (or whatever term the contract states)

So now we are seeing both airports saying they will be 'open for business'. MJV will have schedules for Summer 2013 and flights arriving and departing. Corvera will not be able to survive if MJV remains open. There is just not enough footfall for both airports. So now we might see a price war between the 2 airports for the airlines. This for once is not good news for us poor customers. The reason is simple... not enough business into either airport so both will close!. Alicante airport must be rubbing their hands with glee as they will then pick up the business from both airports.

If we look at Paramount Park (if it does ever open) it will be about 30 mins drive from Corvera. About 40 mins from MJV and about  60 mins. from Alicante. So no big deal if Corvera opens or not. As a rough guide if you fly to Orly (Paris) it takes over an hour to Euro Disney, in Florida its about 45 mins to Disney and in L.A. its over 1 hour to drive there. So visitors to these theme parks are used to travelling 1 hour from the airport so Alicante and MJV will not be a problem.

Lots of other pros and cons have already been stated here ad nauseum so I will not repeat what has been said.

As nobody at the moment knows the final outcome, us poor mortals will just have to sit and wait until January 2013, unless YOU know something that the rest of us do not.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 5:34 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Jeez - thanks for that - I thought I made it pretty clear that I don't have any information.  But then again, this whole site just seems to be hijacked by those who only want to talk about the Eurozone AD NAUSEUM.    

It appears impossible to post on this site without inciting personal attacks - and for that reason - I'm  out!!!!!

I may not be able to resist popping back in to see if ANYONE of the financial experts gets it right though.  

Brian

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 10:25 PM by michaelwr Star rating. 96 posts Send private message

steone, actually enjoyed reading your article as haven;t been keeping up with Corvera issues.

As for original link, can see a cunning plan. Argentinian wishes to buy large stake in Corvera? Well let him then nationalise his stake just like they did Repsol.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 10:55 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

Steone, excellent summation of current status quo. It is total madness isn't it? Today Rahoy announced they would sell off airports. Any takers?

Guy

Like 0      
15 Jul 2012 5:51 PM by BillT Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Of course we learn, we are where we are in Spain...

We are equidistant from Alicante/San Javier...quite like SJ as it's small...esp if we can fly from Blackpool or Leeds/Bratfodd...

1) What was wrong with SJ, why build a competitor?

2) What was wrong with the old Alicante esp when T2 added?

3) Is the new Alicante any better? What will happen to old + T2?

4) Why don't more of you lobby for flights to go to Murcia...the more, the more likely!!!

Bill.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2012 7:57 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Anyone else heard a rumour that if San Javier is moved to Corvera then our friend Mr. O'Leary might take a lease on MJV so it becomes a Ryanair main hub?

Like 0      
16 Jul 2012 10:42 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Just seen that Jet2.com have flights to Murcia San Javier up to September 2013.    Doesn't say much for Corvera opening by Spring/Summer next year! Looks like MJV is staying open, unless you know better.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A question for those who are legally minded - 0 posts
Duty Free - 2 posts
Exchange rate if Euro collapses - 72 posts
Help I need a good solicitor!!! - 9 posts
cous cous - 1 posts
pool bits,,,, - 0 posts
Contents of 3 bed apartment for sale urgently - 5 posts
AFOS - 0 posts
Aifos latest con - 7 posts
Community Administrators - 43 posts
Good evening everyone - 7 posts
How do you query a bill/report a possible leak with Aguas de Murcia (EMUASA)? - 8 posts
VAN HIRE TO SPAIN - 5 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL TAXATION - 6 posts
Tarragona???? - 1 posts
Royal Air Forces Association Dinner Dance - 0 posts
Pool problem - 3 posts
moving from builders supply to meters - 0 posts
Gazebo for sale - 1 posts
community pool rules regarding life guards etc - 2 posts
Gibraltar tobacco prices 2012 - 3 posts
Fantasy Homes By The Sea - 1 posts
Jet 2 sharp practice - 3 posts
Jet 2 sharp practice - 0 posts
Gelish nail salon in Benijofar? - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x