UK driving licence in France & Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Jul 2012 10:59 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Could you please tell me if the old style pink paper driving licence is acceptable in France & Spain. I know we need a breathalyser kit plus spares for France, replacement light bulbs, reflective jackets to be carried inside the vehicle, triangle, and proper driving shoes. Anything else we should be aware of? Advice gratefully accepted.

Like 0      
02 Jul 2012 4:39 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've still got my original licence, the police don't understand them but as long as you have photo id (passport) to prove who you are then it should be ok.

I've never been stopped but my husband has, that's how I know.  He was in a hire car at time and the police man after looking puzzled by the paper licence let him go.

Rumours abound about the amount of fines being issued so perhaps you'd better follow Spanish rules and have proof of your insurance.  This is normally a receipt to show that the insurance is up todate, but in UK hopefully the renewal letter will do..

I've always been told that you need two triangles in car.  If stopped don't remove your seat belt and if you're told to get out of car then make sure you put on reflector jacket before you exit.

Do not have your phone out in the car, keep it switched off and in glove compartment.  It's also illegal for a passenger to use phone whilst you're driving.  If you break down then you must use your phone when outside the car at a safe distance away.

Put headlights on inside tunnels and it's also illegal to wear sunglasses inside tunnels.

If you need glasses to drive then you should carry a spare pair.

If travelling on the motorway make sure you use your indicators when changing lanes.

Can't think of anymore rules but do ensure your valubles are safely hidden in car.  Just have enough cash out for journey each day and put handbags well out of sight.

Have copies of ferry tickets handy to show when you entered country and return tickets. 

Like 0      
02 Jul 2012 6:20 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Thanks very much for that info. Whew! Seems like foreigners are a moving bank...sorry .....target for the Police. We are driving our own car down and we have hands free phone with controls on the steering wheel. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed we don't run foul of the law.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wall Insulating in Spain - 36 posts
presedent - 31 posts
Mercedes C180 English headlights - 1 posts
Double Posts Appearing On Blogs - 3 posts
Latest mortgage rates? - 5 posts
buying online - 3 posts
This photo says it all - 4 posts
7th Heaven - 2 posts
Maria de Castro (costaluz lawyers) wins my case against el patio - 3 posts
Soft Tub Wanted - 1 posts
La Cala de Mijas Nr Malaga - bilingual school? - 0 posts
HELP - 2 posts
Car hire - 0 posts
Satellite Phone advise wanted - 1 posts
Scrapyard - 3 posts
Caravan wanted: Does anyone know of one in the Costa del Sol area? - 3 posts
Spain or Italy? Come on "La Roja"! - 26 posts
Hyundai ACCENT 1.3 for sale,needs attn,good runner,aircon,etc - 0 posts
Passport size photos - 6 posts
jobs needed in & around marbella in october - 0 posts
how to get rid of wasp's nests - 9 posts
Sky and Spanish TV- Football - 1 posts
1/2 - 1/2 isn't all it's cracked up to be!! - 2 posts
Cost of Living and Teaching in Spain. - 16 posts
Selling a car - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x