“Don’t let a lost passport ruin your holiday!”

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jun 2012 2:38 PM by UKinSpain Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Losing your passport will cost you time, cost you money and could ruin your holiday. That’s the message from the network of British Consulates in Spain who between them handle more than 4,000 lost passport cases every year. For the unfortunate passport holder that usually means a journey to the nearest consulate, time spent making an application for an emergency travel document, and a fee of over 100 Euros. 

So, keeping your passport safe will save you hassle and expense, and avoid you wasting precious holiday time.  In order to help British passport holders, the consular network in Spain has produced a short video giving advice on how to keep your passport safe and reduce the risks of having it stolen.

Dave Thomas, British Consul General in Madrid, said “We want to help holidaymakers and prevent passports from getting lost or stolen. This new video is an innovative way of getting across some simple steps to keep your passport safe and prevent your holiday getting ruined.

“We want as many people as possible to see this video, so we’re asking members of the British community in Spain to share it as widely as possible – in Spain and back home in the UK. It doesn’t matter if you’re embedding it in your website, including it in a blog posting, or simply sharing it via Twitter or Facebook. We hope that by distributing the video through our community, we can reduce the number of Brits who suffer the stress and expense of a lost or stolen passport.”

The video can be found on YouTube using the search term ‘Lose your passport, lose your holiday -  Spain’.

And just in case…

Recognising that some people may still lose their passport or have it stolen, the Consulates have produced a second video podcast that provides a step-by-step guide of what to do. This video can be found on YouTube using the search term ‘Getting an Emergency Travel Document’.

Guidance on how to embed or share the videos is given on the YouTube website.

UkinSpain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBsHiAzvSBg

Like 0      
26 Jun 2012 3:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I find the UK Consulate’s attitude very annoying.  Although one may need a passport to be allowed to fly,    a British National cannot possibly need a passport to enter the UK.

Many people who loose their passports very shortly before travelling do so successfully with a copy of the police crime report

Also, I see no justification why the Consulate charge so much for a one way, one trip piece of paper and for the other services they provide. That they must be self sufficient is not a good enough excuse.

Last year I discovered that as my mother was born in the North of Ireland, I was entitled to an Irish passport, and as I was over 65 it was at the time free.

I made the application and sent it off .   There were a couple of questions. Connie at  Irish consulate called me. When I had the answer I was able to call Connie back and get the problem resolved. When the passport arrived in Madrid, Bernard called me to make sure I would be at home over the next few days so it would not go astray. It was brought b y courier, also at no charge to me.

Can anyone imagine ‘a real person with a Christian name’ at a British consulate providing a similar ‘personal’ service?

Whenever I have used the services of a British Consul, in several countries, they have been on the whole unhelpful, non-approachable and any services they could provide were very expensive.

Even when they hold  ‘open days’ along the coasts they now forbid questions from the floor, often which would be very helpful and informative for those present, as at the first couple of meetings they were embarrassed at not being able to answer the questions !

Needless to say. I will not be renewing my British passport when it expires next year, at a cost of very near 200 euros.

And remember, try not to let the British consulate ruin your holiday by needing any help from them !!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Any recent news... - 11 posts
Batxillerat Questionnaire - 12 posts
Where can I buy Jarapas rugs in southern Spain? - 6 posts
GENERAL ADVERTISING BY COMPANIES ON THESE INDIVIDUAL FORUMS AND THE BLOG SITE - 4 posts
Anyone using Hits mobile - 13 posts
Prescriptions charges - 59 posts
empty large van ret to uk - 0 posts
large van returning to uk empty - 0 posts
Brits begin to reclaim £400m in overpaid IHT from Spain - 0 posts
Van Man Rod - Warning - 0 posts
air con - 3 posts
Sales Staff Job - 0 posts
"Cars for Sale" section... - 2 posts
Is there such a thing as a trade policy in Spain? - 0 posts
Planning permission required to extend roof terrace? - 3 posts
Alterations prior to LFO - 1 posts
advantage rent a car spain murcia airport - 8 posts
UK Car to spain - 6 posts
Should I transfer my Euros from Spain to Germany - 20 posts
THE SPANISH WAY - 0 posts
bike test - 2 posts
Duquesa & Manilva - 1 posts
Interest on bank guaranteed deposits - 23 posts
hose pipe ban malaga - 3 posts
Thank you Dickmanns for realising we were telling the truth - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x