Renew Documents

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Apr 2012 9:14 PM by thelankygeek Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Hi Guys,

Myself and my Partner are both moving back to Spain in Orihuela Costa at the end of next week. We lived in Spain for over 4 years up until 2 years ago.

At the time of leaving we both had NIE numbers and had registered as residents in Spain (Issued the Green resident cert). We used to be on local Padron in Orihuela Costa although I removed us when we left for the UK. We both also had a social security number as we were working.

My question is will we need to do anything to renew these documents when we arrive? Or can we carry on as normal before I can do any fiscal transactions. (Open new bank account etc)

The reason I ask is both the NIE and Resident green cert have our old address on and both are from 2008.

Any help would be appreciated as I have been out of Spain for a couple of years.. I do not know if process / requirements have changed.

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 9:34 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The NIE cert lasts for ever, as does the EU citizens registration (green paper)  which takes the place of the NIE anyway.

However, if you did not de-register (the green paper) then you have been tax resident since you first got it. (regardless of the fact ypu wee not in Spain). You may need to sort out the situation re tax returns for the period you were away !

As for the Social Security No. I don’t know

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 9:52 AM by thelankygeek Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Many Thanks for the reply John.

I understand what you mean about the Tax Resident. Although we have not had any income or any fiscal transactions in Spain since 2008?

Little concerned now as will we be in trouble. Noone ever mentioned to us about Tax Returns? Is this going to cause me legal trouble when i get back or reenter the country!!!

The last thing I want is an arrest for tax evasion :/

Dan

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 10:12 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In Spain one must declare and pay tax on worldwide income.

As for entering Spain, I can’t imagine there would be any problem, but when you get here I would suggest you consult a gestor or lawyer.  

That you were not told is not an excuse, as in UK, ignorance is no defence

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 12:05 PM by thelankygeek Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks for your help so far... I will go and see old bank manager to see if they could help when arrive. If this is the case no doubt there will be a fine to pay.

I did everything right at the UK end as told HMRC that we were resident again and have paid income tax as should do in the UK.

And yes I know there is no exceptions when it comes to tax.

Will I not need to update the green cert with the new address tho? As my old address is listed on it. Will that cause issues opening a new account etc. Also passport numbers have changed so will that effect it.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 1:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am pretty certain you do not have to notify when you change address, but if this has not been answered I will ask, post again with a substantive answer in a few days.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 1:40 PM by thelankygeek Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks again mate.

Hopefully this will help others too, as no doubt there are other people in the same boat

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

QuickDollarz - 0 posts
insurance in spain - 7 posts
EU Citizens Registration (Help with form) - 0 posts
Renault Scenic '98 Turbo Diesel for sale Spanish registered! - 4 posts
Car Hire - Alicante Airport April 2012 - 10 posts
Mercedes,Spainish translator - 0 posts
Looking for an automatic car - Rojales area - 0 posts
Iberdrola online logout - 4 posts
Broadband - 1 posts
Nearest Carrefour to Mazarron and directions please? - 1 posts
Spanish Lessons - 0 posts
Add link - 0 posts
can you give proxy vote by email? - 2 posts
Healthcare Pensioners to pay for prescriptions - 9 posts
INFORMATIVE TALK ON TAXES FOR FOREIGNERS IN MANILVA (MÁLAGA) - 0 posts
aifos getting away with it - 59 posts
AGM proxy votes by email - 12 posts
Working in Gibraltar - 2 posts
Silver Cutlery - 0 posts
Que? Ahora? - 1 posts
3 pin (UK) plug sockets. - 18 posts
Creditor's meeting - 8 posts
NIE U Turn Re POA - 8 posts
Bancaja merger with Bankia....the customer´s nightmare - 24 posts
Car Hire - Help Please - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x