Healthcare Pensioners to pay for prescriptions

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Apr 2012 15:18 by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 220 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Interesting proposal in Spanish papers today that all "spanish" pensioners should pay 10% towards the cost of their prescriptions I assume this will also apply to ex pats who are registered on the Spanish health system.

Also there will be no "health tourists" whether this will mean that holders of an EHIC will have to pay something towards their healthcare or not is a little vague

See link below from El Pais in English



Like 0      
20 Apr 2012 00:39 by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

Yes, this was touted a few weeks back and it has finally come out that it is actually happening.

And I would assume the same applies to expats here too.

I think what they mean by health tourists is those that come over specifically to use the medical facilities in Spain and not the retired expats that actually live here.



EOS Team

Like 0      
20 Apr 2012 07:47 by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

If you use an EHIc card you pay for prescriptions at the farmácia anyway &claim it back from the nhs.


Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2012 14:50 by Geoff y Pat Star rating in Torre Guil / Sutton .... 90 posts Send private message

Last year I went to register at our local health centre and the receptionist told me to return when I reached 65.  I have now reached that date so when I register (I am not a spanish resident and intend spending less than 183 days here) will the EHC  no longer be required?  I assume I will have to pay for prescriptions.

Any help would be great.



This message was last edited by Geoff y Pat on 20/04/2012.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2012 18:59 by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Geoff and Pat...

Sticky situation that ...and complicated...according to the NHS if you spend more than one month away from your UK residence you should de-register from your UK Doctors...

As a pensioner receiving a UK State Pension you can ask the Pensions people in Newcastle to issue a Form S1.

(Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle) +44 191 218 1999)

This form entitles you to reciprocal health care in Spain. When completed you should present this form to to your local INSS office in Spain, however once you are registered for health care here you are excluded from the NHS in the UK. The other forms you have to present to the INSS office include the Certificado de Residencia / NIE no. and Padron registration. And therein lies the rub...

The Certificado de Residencia also implies full time residence in Spain... so no access to UK NHS treatment when you are in the UK.

For someone spending more than a month but less than 183 days in Spain, whilst retaining a UK address, the best solution is simply 'keep shtum'... use your EHIC Cards if you need to whilst over here and for pete's sake make sure they are valid during the period of your visits...

Spain no longer issues EHIC cards to non-Spanish residents; If you do go ahead and register in Spain you can use your UK issued EHIC card to gain temporary access to the NHS...

And yes you will have to pay for any prescriptions...

Hope this helps a little.


This message was last edited by foxbat on 20/04/2012.



Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 13:23 by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar


There is only one thing I would question in your post.

It's 3 months (90 days) away from a UK address, not one month.

Apart from that, this is, as we know, a catch 22 situation and the only way around it is to use private health insurance (with all of its strict rules on previous conditions).

I remember reading somewhere that it was under discussion that changes may be made for pensioners who spend more than 90 consecutive days but less than 183 days in an EU country, so that they do not miss out on NHS health care in the UK, but can't remember where I read it.

Maybe someone knows?

No me lo puedo creer! Living in Spain as an Expat.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 13:27 by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Good Afternoon....!



Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 13:29 by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar


No me lo puedo creer! Living in Spain as an Expat.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 16:28 by Geoff y Pat Star rating in Torre Guil / Sutton .... 90 posts Send private message

Hi Foxbat & Summer70, thanks for the info.  We don't exceed 90 days here at a time as our holiday insurance only covers up to 90 days, multuitrip.  I believe, as I pay IBI and non residents tax, I should be able to access the free spanish national health and not need to use the EHC.  Is this correct or not?  I will go and register in our village one day next week and see what happens. 

Oh, I have checked my EHC and it's valid untill 2016 but it's a good point foxbat. 



This message was last edited by Geoff y Pat on 21/04/2012.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2012 16:49 by bobaol Star rating. 2256 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Sorry but you can't register on the Spanish NHS for free treatment.  You will still be covered by the UK NHS system as you will not have been transferred.  You can use the EHIC for emergency treatment only regardless of paying IBI and non-resident taxes.  The emergency treatment will be free but any prescription issued by a hospital doctor may incur a charge.  

You can, however, register in some places on a temporary or provisional card which needs to be updated every six months.  This will give you access to the GP but will not give you free prescriptions, although you will get a discount of (currently) up to 60% of the cost.  These cards are available once you have signed on the Padron (electoral register) and can be updated a maximum of 4 times.

The only way to get permanent access free of charge is to register as a permanent resident (register of EU nationals) and get an S1 form from the DWP which transfers your medical care to Spain.

If you have to pay towards a prescription, keep the receipt as you may be able to claim back the costs from the nHS back in the UK.

Be aware that new rules are being put forward to the Spanish parliament to limit access to NHS services for those not living in Spain on a permanent basis and the provisional cards may be withdrawn along with introducing payments for pensioners prescriptions.


Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

aifos getting away with it - 59 posts
AGM proxy votes by email - 12 posts
Working in Gibraltar - 2 posts
Silver Cutlery - 0 posts
Que? Ahora? - 1 posts
3 pin (UK) plug sockets. - 18 posts
Creditor's meeting - 8 posts
NIE U Turn Re POA - 8 posts
Bancaja merger with Bankia....the customer´s nightmare - 24 posts
Car Hire - Help Please - 8 posts
Reputable Removal Company - 3 posts
Driving to spain/ Pet Friendly Hotels - 1 posts
sending stuff to spain - 5 posts
Timeframe for receipt of AGM/EGM minutes - 38 posts
Looking for Accomodation Andalucia within San Roque to Manilva area - 6 posts
living in a mobile home - 19 posts
What would be the best way to promote my business? - 11 posts
WANTED: Do you want to sell, swap or longterm rent your Villa - 1 posts
BMIBaby fees - 5 posts
Wanted - Accommodation in Gibraltar / San Roque / Algeciras / Manilva areas - 0 posts
Legal tip 744. Bank accepts property back in Courts - 0 posts
diy stores - 2 posts
Subaru Forester For Sale - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x