Roman Oasis - sabinillas

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by brutus Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

WE decided to try this restaurant as we saw it advertised in the Mail news paper.  AS you approach sabinillas from Estepona direction to take the 1st exit at the Lidl roundabout. You drive pass the sunday market ground and keep going for about 2 km until you get to the motorway high above the road. Park up and look for the Roman Oasis entrance on yuor right hand side. You will not be disappointed a fantastice open air restaurant it is only open from June - September. keith floyyd is doing some cooking evenings there through out the summer. The setting was really special  and the food and the service  great. It was worth every euro!!x  It was all lit up as the evening went on . There is a secluded kids pay area and you could neither see nor hear the kids. A great venue to try out.    

Like 0      
15 Jun 2007 11:50 AM by JC1 Star rating in Manchester and La Du.... 963 posts Send private message

JC1´s avatar

Brutus. Thanks for this info. Passed by it in June just before it opened and wondered about it. worth the ride then?

Did you see opposite El Moscatel?  it is a new place which was juts about to open too. Owned by people who had Le Mani in Sabinillas and is supposed to be very good too?

Regards

John

Like 0      
15 Jul 2007 4:54 PM by skt Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

Hi all,

I tried out this restaurant with my two teenagers and we were all very disappointed. It is my opinion that it is way over priced for the food that you get. There are loads of better restaurants around that have fantastic food at very reasonable prices. Our bill for three people came to 103 euro with one alcholic drink! By the way if you want a dessert its extra!

Like 0      
16 Jul 2007 12:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
The fact that you can't see the kids whilst they are playing kind of puts me off since mine are only five.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
21 Jul 2007 5:44 PM by manilvajl Star rating in Manilva as much as p.... 426 posts Send private message

Went to the Roman Oasis 5 years ago - fantastic food and atmosphere but not cheap.

Went 3 years and 2 years ago still over priced but they have made one significant change the food was rubbish on the last 2 occasions, over cooked BBQ food, poor salads.

I think they have stopped bothering about quality as people still flock there, why I don't know.

Its off my list as there as so many other local restaurants with good food at sensible prices.

Jeff

Like 0      
22 Jul 2007 3:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
** EDITED ** Validating comments...

Justin

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 7/23/2007.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Sep 2007 7:57 AM by MissyEve Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I was working in this restaurant summer 2006.

Like 0      
09 May 2011 4:37 PM by mattresscleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

I was at the roman oasis for the keith floyd session in september 2007, and whilst I can´t comment on any dates before this i can say the quality was fantastic that night. It was my 30th b´day and was a night to remember (just)!!

I have also been several times each year since and have never once been disappointed. The food is great, the service is fantastic and the prices are more than reasonable. i think we paid around 20 euros per head, including wines etc, and this was with a dessert too.

I am going again this year for the open evening and the new tapas stlye format throughout june and sept, although I am a big fan of the open carvery and will no doubt visit throughout july and august too!

It´s a long way from where i live in fuengirola but well worth the journey!

Ryan

This message was last edited by mattresscleaning on 09/05/2011.

Like 0      
09 May 2011 5:24 PM by skt Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

I gave this restaurant another go in July 2010 with my mother. Nothing had changed, still over priced and in my opinion a glorified barbeque! Its not too far from where I am in Casares and I won't be making a return visit to it this summer. There are loads of excellent restaurants in the area serving far superior food at a fraction of the cost.  Maybe we had a different menu to Matresscleaning but I can assure you it wasn't 20 euros per head! They were charging 27.95 EUR0S pet head last summer and dessert and drinks were still extra. Perhaps there are two Roman Oasis?

Skt

Like 0      
09 May 2011 6:28 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I have to say, going back a good few years this place was amazing and people would come from very far away just to eat there.

The last couple of times I've been I have been disappointed.  It is expensive and they have some very good competition around.

I would like to see them return to their good old days when their ribs were huge with the best barbecue sauce ever.  I really like the owner, he's quite a character and I love the whole feel of the place.  They just need to get their food back up to scratch an possibly reduce their prices a little.  We are in a crisis after all!

Maybe we'll give them a try this summer and see how they are doing now.

Fingers crossed.

Justin

Like 0      
09 May 2011 6:54 PM by mattresscleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

my mistake, it was approx 30euros per head, with drinks and dessert

i hit the wrong key when typing.

still great food and atmosphere though and can´t wait to see the new format for the june/ september  tapas days

Like 0      
09 May 2011 7:30 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I agree that the whole feel of the place is wonderful, but the last time we went (a few years ago) the food was dire!  For the price, you would expect at least a good bbq and salad bar!  From their website (not sure when it was last updated) it would appear they are charging €24.50 for the salad bar and bbq - before any drinks, desert, etc.  Personally, I think that is a high price for what they offer!

As has been said, there are some wonderful restaurants, serving great food at reasonable prices, in the area - it would take something a bit more special than we experienced at the Roman Oasis to entice us back there!

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 5:28 PM by MattressCleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

Just got back from the roman oasis and had to comment. it was the first time i've ever been there in the daytime and wasnt sure what to expect. I missed out on the open evening due to work commitments so this was my first visit of the year.

it was great !! nice and relaxing, good food (doing tapas in the daytime now as well as a few larger meals) and a nice way to chill out and let the hours pass by.

the in-laws were impressed too, their first visit, despite them thinking we had got lost as the road seems to go on forever before you get there!

I even made mention of the fact it would be a nice place for a wedding reception and my fiancee then proceeded to plan everything out in fine detail there and then! (lesson learnt... keep my gob shut!!!)

Also good to see that Duquesa port has had a new injection of cash and new businesses! hopefully this will boost things around there!

Ryan

This message was last edited by MattressCleaning on 20/06/2011.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 9:23 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi Ryan

Glad to hear you had a good time.

What are the prices there like now?

Justin

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 12:52 AM by MattressCleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

this is the email I received

NEW FORMAT & OPENING TIMES !!

JUNE AND SEPTEMBER DAYTIMES ONLY

-----------------------------------------------------------

JULY AND AUGUST EVERY EVENING FULL

RESTAURANT FROM 7.30 SAME AS ALWAYS

JUNE AND SEPTEMBER OPEN

FROM NOON TO 8 p.m. FOR DRINKS AND

‘TAPACADABRA’

WHERE WE ‘PUT A LITTLE MAGIC INTO TAPAS’   SERVING A GOOD SELECTION OF HOT AND COLD TAPAS PLUS;

TAKING THE ‘PAIN’ OUT OF CHAM‘PAGNE’ WITH ‘THE EMPEROR’.

A FLUTE OF FRENCH CHAMPAGNE AND SMOKED SALMON CANAPES FOR

ONLY 5.95 Euros

AND NOT FORGETTING FOR THE KIDS ‘THE GREAT BRITISH TAPA’

THE HEINZ BAKED BEAN ON BUTTERED TOASTLETS TAPA OF COURSE!

————————————————————————————-

AND ANNOUNCING OUR ‘OVERJOYED HOUR’

BECAUSE WE DON’T THINK ‘HAPPY’ IS GOOD ENOUGH !!

NOON to 1p.m. and again from 5 pm to 6 pm

GIN, VODKA, WHISKY, BACARDI WITH MIXERS ONLY 3 Euros

BEER 1.25     PINT  2.50

WINE BY THE GLASS   1.95 

BOTTLE  OF WINE  7 Euros

GLASS OF FRENCH CHAMPAGNE  4.95

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 12:56 AM by MattressCleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

I'd also recommend a champagne sangria.

it was only €12 for a big jug with a full bottle of cava, all the fruit and extra spirits of the sangria!!

made the afternoon very relaxed indeed!!

just avoid any talk of weddings around me for a while!!!!!!!!!

ryan

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 8:54 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Thanks Ryan

I think we may be tempted to wander up there again in the summer.

Will let you know how we get on.

Justin

Like 0      
21 Jun 2011 10:26 AM by MattressCleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

it's well worth the wander. 

i do miss that part of the world, especially manilva & sabinillas, but we had to follow the work which led us to fuengirola.

hopefully a return will be on the cards soon!

I suppose that's why I love the place so much because I only get to go every couple of months now

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bank Charges for paying bills - 0 posts
AIR CONDITIONING - 2 posts
WiFi Mast Insallation on a Complex - 4 posts
Garden plants - 22 posts
Buying a spanish car in Spain - 47 posts
Builders versus owners - what can be done? - 12 posts
penthouse available for long let in costa del sol - 1 posts
Spanish Tax Liability - 4 posts
Hi dinky Lo Crispin - 16 posts
Renting my apartment. - 2 posts
death duties - 15 posts
Fencing - 9 posts
WANTED RENTAL - Benijofar - 7 posts
RENTAL WANTED - BENIJOFAR - 3 posts
Which Form? - 1 posts
"Bumber" newsletter - 4 posts
Contacting the developments - 4 posts
Grupo Urbasa build delays - 3 posts
M&M - 4 posts
The Banana Tree, Quesada, Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Insurance advice - 2 posts
Minor D-I-Y Crisis...Suggestions please! - 8 posts
masa inspection trips - 6 posts
From John K - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x