road tax advice

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Feb 2012 12:00 AM by karename Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

a situation has to come to light in my household,which i wasnt aware of.i normally deal with most of the bills,apart from anything to do with the car.my hubby has now informed me he has not paid road tax for a car we have had for 6 years.he thought because we live in a rural area we do not have to pay the tax,really dont know where he got that idea from,.i am now worried about how much we will owe and darent approach the authorities to find out,is there any way i can find out how much we owe so i can get it together to pay it.i am worried to alert them as they might embargo the account and we wont have any disposible income until july.can anyone advise,is it possible to pay back tax in parts

many thanks

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 8:03 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Spanish road tax bills are normally submitted annually by your local town hall and sent directly to the address registered when you bought the car.

Annual Tax for our area (Granada) is around 72€ for a 1.9 litre diesel Megane Scenic . The actual cost is calculated by the emission level stated by the vehicle manufacturer.

Talk to your Town Hall in the first instance. There will almost certainly be the accrued amount due + a percentage for late payment but be advised that once the local authority know about the situation they will come after it, and probably all at once.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 10:02 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

Don´t worry about the authorities they allready know,where we live (and guess this happens all over Spain) ALL persons owing money be it SUMA Basura Speeding fines etc are adertised in the town hall every month.Depending on the size of the car will depend on how much the car tax is, then every year you are late they add on a charge, there could be a embargo put on you and if stopped by the police they could take the car off you there and then and will return when you pay outstanding taxes then you will have the fines, towing, storage, to pay so could double your original outstanding debt of car tax.

Surley you must of had something in the post with regard to this after all these years if you have had other SUMA bills through this should of come as well.

Best action to take is go to your SUMA office ASAP as it may cost you more in the long run.

Nitram

Like 0      
06 Feb 2012 10:14 PM by karename Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

thank you for the advice so far,we have had nothing sent in the post,as i would not be in this position now.i deal with most of the bills so everyhing else like the ibi etc is in order,my hubby is in trouble with me as i hate anything that is not in order

Like 0      
07 Feb 2012 7:21 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Look on the bright side . They can only reclaim 4 years backdated.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
07 Feb 2012 9:38 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

QUOTE,  ¨Look on the bright side . They can only reclaim 4 years backdated.¨

That is provided they have not taken any action to notify you, like a “Notice advertised by the townhall”  which you have not seen.  

Once they (an authority) have started any action you are liable and the ´four year rule´ does not apply.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Legalisation Issies! - 5 posts
Typist Wanted - 0 posts
Have I really won the lottery? - 22 posts
Tax on Rental-Deductions - 8 posts
PROPERTY ADMINISTRATOR - 2 posts
Crisis?? - 0 posts
Earthquake - 3 posts
Mazarron apartment - 2 bed and 1 bath. - 1 posts
Working in the UK and having shares' dividends in Spain - 1 posts
Working in the UK, with share dividends in Spain - 0 posts
Recommendations for child friendly restaurants - 2 posts
EXPATS WALK FOR THEIR VILLAGE - 0 posts
surina - 4 posts
cats - 0 posts
FREEZING YUK - 6 posts
Riding a motorcycle in spain on a full uk bike licence - 6 posts
MR WIPPY - 3 posts
ITV test - 4 posts
Barclays Bank Espana accounts - 0 posts
Medievil Market in Orihuela - 5 posts
How Spain has changed in 10 years....??!!!! - 73 posts
GC Resorts / Silverpoint / Las Canarias. Advise please - 8 posts
Wanted koi carp - 1 posts
De-registering a Spanish Mortgage - 0 posts
Spanish gas boiler legislation in a rental property. - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x