Old Spanish 3-pin socket

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by confused123 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi there,

Our dishwasher died :( The landlady has very nicely replaced it, but the new dishwasher has the new EU 2-pin plug and the socket is an old 3-pin spanish plug...I don't want to change the socket, just get an adaptor, if possible...is that possible?  If so, where from - we have been in 5 different shops now :(

Thanks!

Like 0      
11 Nov 2011 11:16 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I don't know if it is same thing but if it is the larger 3 pin type plug these were commonly used for high use items such as cooker and ovens and the pins are not the same length so that the live always lines up correctly.

If I were you I would change the plug on the dishwaher and put the live on the correct pin.

You can buy these plugs in Leroy Merlin or tke the plug from your old dishwasher if you still have it.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2011 3:47 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

As Faro says,  the easiest thing to do would be to cut the plug from the old appliance and connect it to the new appliance.. Although, it is not difficult (normally) to change the wall socket, which is what I would do..

Spanish plugs can be plugged in either way so negative and positive don't normally apply in Spain.

Sometimes one can get a shock from an the casing of an appliance, if that case turn the plug over so the pins 'go in the opposite holes’.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2011 6:11 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

That's not necessarily correct as some items only have a singe pole switch and others a doube pole switch which is why it is important to have the live correct.

Like 0      
11 Nov 2011 6:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In Spain there is no convention on which pin is live and which is neutral, thus one can put a plug into the socket with either of the two pins in the live or the neutral.  The only exemption is with a three pin plug, which can be ‘controlled’ as to which is connected.

It is completely different from the conventional UK system where there are three pin plugs which ensure which way an appliance is connected, that is,  you cannot plug the live pin into the negative socket.

However, that said, this has nothing to do with the question which was posted on this thread as the poster said  they had a two pin plug on the
appliance and thus it could be connected either way.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/11/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

COMMUNITY OF OWNERS LAW IN SPAIN - 6 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Storage - 2 posts
Any good tips for getting property back to UK from El Raso, Guardamar? - 4 posts
looking for a bar/resteraunt with food to hire for an awards night in benidorm - 0 posts
Scraping English car in Alicante - 7 posts
tenants rights re bank repossession - 4 posts
This will warm the cockles of your heart - yum! - 13 posts
--CAR WANTED-- - 0 posts
Jet 2 - 3 posts
AutoCaravans - 5 posts
Wanted reliable cleaner and key holder needed for 4 privately owned apartments in Guardamar Del Segura - 5 posts
TechnoApe - 10 posts
Taking the builder to court. - 4 posts
English speaking dentists Malaga or Granada area. - 8 posts
Hello, Advice needed please on purchasing a coastal apartment in the Murcia area - 28 posts
Driving lessons in english - 0 posts
Outstanding Loan on Vehicle - 0 posts
Murcia Appeal Courts for Bank liability for deposits refund - 3 posts
community pool rules - 3 posts
La Marmitas Fuengirola - 0 posts
English speaking lawyer - 0 posts
registered online with aquagest - now how do I get my facturas - 0 posts
Christmas e greeting ... - 4 posts
cannot register online with aquagest levante - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x