tenants rights re bank repossession

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by sunnybay Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help with some advice on tenants rights. We took a long term rent out on a property in Corralejo ,Fuerteventura at the beginning of September with a letting agent. We have just been advised that the bank have taken possession of it and we have 10 days to leave or register our rental agreement with the courts.

The letting agent says its nothing to do with them so who do we go to for help and what are the likely scenarios. Please help as our two kids have just settled into scholl here and we want to avoid moving out if possible.  Thanks

Like 0      
08 Nov 2011 4:04 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Contact a solicitor, as you are not the owner i know the bank or new owner can be forced to follow the rental agreement to the end, obviously the rent is now payable to the new owner and not the old one so if your rent is due to not pay this to the old owner.

Joan

Like 0      
09 Nov 2011 3:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Can they really do that?  Give you 10 days notice?  That doesn't sound right to me.

And nice to see the letting agent is being really helpful!  Probably don't care now that they got their original commission.

I would probably do as joanmalaga suggested and speak to a solicitor ASAP.  I'm sure there is something that can be done where you can at least stay in the property until the end of the original contracted period.

Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on so we can advise others accordingly in the future.  I suspect that the way things are, we may be getting more situations like these coming up.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Nov 2011 4:13 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

The ten working days is usually given for the tenant to show to the courts that they occupy the property under a valid lease agreement.  The notice is probably saying you either show you have the legal right to occupy the property or you have to move out.  If the rental agreement is a valid one, the new owner will be bound by the terms and conditions in the same way the earlier owner was.

Consulting with a solicitor and making sure the lease agreement is submitted to the courts as requested is the best course of action. 

Like 0      
09 Nov 2011 5:35 PM by sunnybay Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice. Spoke to my friend who is a translator here and deals with all sorts of things. She says she has dealt with a similar thing recently and can help us. It just depends on wether or  not the bank wishes to take on the role of landlord till the end of the tenancy or put the house up for auction.

Apparently we have first right to buy!!  Also because we have a 12 month contract it is apparently almost impossible to evict us especially as we have kids. We wait to see what happens when we go to court  beginning of next week. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

This will warm the cockles of your heart - yum! - 13 posts
--CAR WANTED-- - 0 posts
Jet 2 - 3 posts
AutoCaravans - 5 posts
Wanted reliable cleaner and key holder needed for 4 privately owned apartments in Guardamar Del Segura - 5 posts
TechnoApe - 10 posts
Taking the builder to court. - 4 posts
English speaking dentists Malaga or Granada area. - 8 posts
Hello, Advice needed please on purchasing a coastal apartment in the Murcia area - 28 posts
Driving lessons in english - 0 posts
Outstanding Loan on Vehicle - 0 posts
Murcia Appeal Courts for Bank liability for deposits refund - 3 posts
community pool rules - 3 posts
La Marmitas Fuengirola - 0 posts
English speaking lawyer - 0 posts
registered online with aquagest - now how do I get my facturas - 0 posts
Christmas e greeting ... - 4 posts
cannot register online with aquagest levante - 1 posts
Towing a mini digger from UK to Spain - 7 posts
tax iva - 2 posts
cost saving tip when booking flights with the budget airlines - 0 posts
Aer Lingus - 0 posts
How do I find my old posts? and why do I not get email notifications? - 5 posts
Aquagest Estepona - 0 posts
Only have Spanish TV ...But... - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x