Murcia inspection trip

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

My Wife and I have already committed ourselves to an inspection trip to Murcia in July, booked it before finding this site (and others!!). We may still be able to get out of it and go independently, working on that at the mo, after all we paid for the flights!! The company we are going with is MRI Overseas International. The idea is to buy something at the entry level of the market for family/ friends holidays and to maybe get a little rental out of to help cover the bills. It is bought as at least a 5 year investment until our Son becomes old enough to leave school, then we intend to move out to Spain permanently. As you can see, we just want a little foothold on the ladder.

We don't want to go over there with our "eyes wide shut" and have started researching the area (even found a distributor of the machines I work on in the UK!!). So far, we have managed to contact an independent solicitor as recommended on another forum who has given us details of the fees and services provided by them. Not sure about the developments that are available as their website doesn't show many within our price range, although they assure us "they can get anything"! I am not naive enough to believe that statement. I have seen many developments on the 'net, and a lot of them have their prices set much lower than this particular company, room for discounts at all I wonder?

Although we would like to buy something that is already built so it can be physically seen, we don't actually want anywhere until about March/ April '08 which will give us more preparation time. Obviously, we don't want to buy on a complex that still looks like a building site at completion time, what is the best way around that?

Knowledge is power as they say 

Thanks

Mark

Like 0      
06 Jun 2007 9:14 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Hi Mark

We bought after an inspection trip with MRI, we were not pressured at all, Steve who took us all over had also previously asked me to send him details of what we would like, we did this by sending him a list of properties we found on the internet, he showed us everyone and ended up with one of the one's we picked ourselves on Coto Real Duquesa,  up till now we have found MRI true to their word, if I email them I get a phone call within ten minutes, our property is not ready until Dec 2007 and have just planned a visit in July, MRI have asked if we want picked up at the airport, they are taking us to see Lawyers, Mortgage advisers, to look at furniture and also back to see how our apartment is doing, so to be fair to MRI, fingers crossed they have been fine.

At the beginning when we came home after putting our deposit down we had many sleepless nights, but have now settled down and looking forward to long weekends in our apartment.

Maureen & Dennis

This message was last edited by leema on 6/6/2007.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
10 Jun 2007 11:46 PM by dixie Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Hi Maureen and Dennis, I found MRI to be charming and helpful to begin with.  The problems started when things began to go wrong, at which point the charm takes a downturn.  From what I've learned,  from my own experience and from the many great posters on EOS, could I strongly suggest that you find your own lawyers.  MRI will take you to a lawyer, which sounds very helpful, but I have found that the lawyer is actually working for MRI, not for me.  My property was also due for completion in December '07.  The earliest completion now is forcast for Summer '08.  Does your property have a building licence, because mine still hasn't. Have you been issued with a bank guarantee?

I really hope you will be among the lucky ones and that your purchase will go through without a hitch, but you would be well advised to post a few questions here so that the experienced regulars -rixxy, roberto, smiley etc etc, can give you thei advice.

Best wishes,

Dixie

Like 0      
11 Jun 2007 9:04 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Dixie is correct in that you should find your own lawyer.

This may help:

www.eyeonspain.com/property-lawyers-spain.aspx

Good luck with it all.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Jun 2007 10:02 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Thanks for your info, yes we have the building license and also our bank guarantee,  we have been in the apartment and looked around it when it was nearly finished and I have had lots of help on this board regarding buying in Spain.  So glad we found this site earlier this year, Have met many people on it.

I have also put out a message saying would anyone like to meet in Duquesa marina for a drink and share more info, or really just to get to know as many people as we can, we are coming out on 17th July for a week, so maybe 18th if anyone is interested, a few have replied.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
26 Jun 2007 6:05 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi Maureen & Dennis

I don't get to this board very often, I find the way the forum puts the recent posts at the top a tad annoying and for some reason I never receive the emails when a thread is replied to.

We are now three weeks away from the inspection trip and the telephone calls have stopped already!!! I have this terrible fear of arriving at the airport to find no- one waiting for us!! I will give them another few days before "prompting" them :).

With every phone call we did get, it is stressed how for rental purposes we "need" to be on a golf complex. Was this your experience too? Golf complex to me sounds like expensive community fees, I would much rather be a part of a smaller community with a pool, and within travelling distance of the golf courses (I don't play myself). I too made a list of the places seen on the internet and gave them to James on the phone as "they can get anything for you" you know. After two weeks of calls, James mysteriously left the company leaving me to deal with Nick R******n, (Marketing Manager?) and all of my requirements were lost. I have not had a call since asking what we want to look at and I fear we are one of the unprofitable couples for them as we are looking towards the lower end of the market.

Hoping that the trip is a little more successful :).

(edited to remove the full name)

Mark

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 6/26/2007.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2007 9:30 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Hi Mark

Don't let anyone pressure you into it, if you don't see anything you like you simply don't buy.

We have bought on Coto Real which has the best of both worlds, golf, not far from the marina and pubs etc and also just a walk away from the beach. Will only be letting our family and friends use it as we hope to be out there for lots of long weekends.

Good luck with the trip and hope it all goes well, you might also like to try the smaller estate agents, a few are on this board who are really helpful, I think if I bought  again it would be with one of them, as much as I have had so far a good experience with MRI,  I still think they charge a lot for what they do.

We fly out on 17th July and hope to meet a few people in the marina sometime maybe on 18th July, if your out there then why not join us.

Good luck

Maureen & Dennis

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
27 Jun 2007 5:52 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Thanks for the offer, but we are going out on Thursday 12th and comingback on the Sunda. Maybe next time?

Mark

Like 0      
21 Jul 2007 5:15 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We didn't go to Murcia in the end, but were taken to Mojacor. The MRI office was virtually next door to the hotel and the staff were pretty good. We were assigned Lee who we would recommend for his history lessons and general knowledge of the area. Lee took us to the various Towns and we looked in the agent's windows and to be fair, the prices weren't anything like I had been lead to believe. We did commit to buy a one bed apartment and MRI took us to Aguilas on the Saturday to see our solicitor (it took a lot of convincing that we didn't want to use theirs, eventually it was take us or lose the sale!).

We weren't able to see the mortgage people (hence my other posts today) as the office next door had been shut due to the manager being sent to Portugal, the San Javier office was handling it. We didn't get any contact from them despite badgering MRI all week until yesterday, and to be fair they don't really seem interested. We were going to use the MRI rentals for the few weeks in the year we were going to rent for, but despite many requests for information, no- one has bothered to contact us.

To sum it up. We had a really good and enjoyable weekend, I would recommend it so long as you know what you want. The whole weekend is let down by the exhibition in the beginning and the over enthusisatic sales staff; the next let down is the after sales. Let's be honest, no- one has any money yet except our solicitor, you would think they would try to keep us happy until the deposit at least had been paid!

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Builders need advice. - 2 posts
Issuing a Denounce - Advice Please - 7 posts
Trevor McDonald's disgraceful TV programme - 84 posts
EasyJet info - 69 posts
Aifos developers - 16 posts
Marina Dor - Serving a DENOUCE - Help please - 1 posts
Buying off plan - 13 posts
eyeonground? - 2 posts
Are they deaf - 1 posts
Occupied Homes to be Demolished - 6 posts
Direct pension payment - 7 posts
Merry Xmas - 4 posts
Sylvia (The Forge) - 0 posts
Gill - 2 posts
Finally a Urban Plan is submited for aproval by Marbella Town Hall - 2 posts
New Legislationfrom the EU - 26 posts
Townhouse in Mijas near the racecourse - 2 posts
LAWYER COMPLAINTS - 6 posts
Advertise your Tamaragua Villa for free - 4 posts
Buying Furniture in Spain - 16 posts
Euro Select Estates - 0 posts
photos - 2 posts
renaults for sale - 2 posts
Need long term rental in Los Gazules or near International school.Help anyone! - 0 posts
Statutory charges - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x