Wooden House- Looking for Mortgage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by northernmonkey Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hola everyone,

My first post on this excellent forum.  

My partner Jenny and I are hoping to buy a wooden eco house in Juzcar, near Ronda in the near future.  Does anyone know of a bank willing to lend on such a property?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Mark

Like 0      
25 Oct 2011 11:11 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

25 Oct 2011 11:43 PM by northernmonkey Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Very good!  I'd paint anything blue to get the place!! 

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 9:28 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I wood (opps would) suggest you ask a company who sell timber houses.

This appears to be one such company    (I have no connection with, or knowledge of them )  informacion@casaslosandes.com

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 10:39 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

You need to check status with town hall and also land classification.

Many of these buildings are not legal and were never intended to be used for living.

You might find it's classed as a shed if registered at all.

Does it even appear on the nota simple? How is it described etc?

If I recall these type of buildings were popular a few years back as people thought they would escape all licence applications and get around land classification problems etc. I know some people were fined and forced to remove as were some who installed mobile homes or caravans etc

So this is one case where I would say (and even Johnzx might agree!) discuss with an independent lawyer and know exactly what it is you are buying and there are no fines pending/outstanding etc. If you don't have a lawyer then get yourself along to the Town Hall and make your own enquiries.

and don't believe a word any estate agent tells you!

But it's interesting so do let us know how you get on ...

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 11:02 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

'Interesting post'  from Faro, but I am not sure how that helps to answer Northernmonkey's  question about insurance !

However, if you get advice from a solicitor,  ensure that it is in writing and carries a guarantee that if the info is not correct the solicitor will compensate you (but don't hold your breath).

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 11:11 AM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Even if the place is legal for full-time living (and very few are) and  even if the place is a good price (most are priced in the same catagory as a conventionally-built property....when they should be much cheaper!) the one question you need to ask yourself is, 'WiIl I ever want to sell it?'.  Whatever the agent tells you, these type of properties are very hard to sell compared to conventionally-built properties and we all know how slowly the market moves in Spain, particularly at the moment. 

Yeh, I know.  This doesn't answer your question about insurance, either!  It's just that so many Brits have bought unwisely in Spain and, since you ask this question on this site, you are likely to recieve buying advice (even if you don't want it!).  If you are absolutely sure that you want to buy this type of place......I wish you all the best.

This message was last edited by meggie on 26/10/2011.

Mag

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 11:17 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Johnnx - Spanish lawyers and written advice - I think not!!!!

But the original poster asked about a mortgage because he is in the process of buying - so this time I think relevant tangent.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 11:24 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I do not make any secret of the fact that with many years experience of dealing with lawyers in UK, mainly in the criminal field where people's liberty has been in jeopardy, and over twenty or so years of observing lawyers (from a distance) in Spain,  I have exceeding little confidence in them.

I understand that most of those who have purchased illegal properties here did so 'with the assistance' of lawyers !   So beware.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 11:31 AM by northernmonkey Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for that,  I'll give them a go. 

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 11:42 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

but those that bought with the assistance of lawyers were those lawyers independent or in cahoots with estate agents and developers and simply lining their own pockets?

All the big agents in the past had relationships with lawyers and in some cases those lawyers had desks in the agents office (they were so independent)......

These same lawyers travelled suited and booted with the agents to the UK exhibitions where contracts were signed and deposits taken ..... all with the assurance everything was legal and BIG respectable developer and BIG agent etc etc and where are they all now?

I parked this morning in front of the Andalucian Dream Homes office in Fuengirola which was abondoned I think 2 years ago.......we still see the deserted Viva offices. ... and so on

It was so easy in those days to fly people in for an inspection trip - give them a glass of sangria nd then sign on the dotted line ....

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 3:50 PM by northernmonkey Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks everybody for your advice and comments thus far.  Happily, I'm not dealing with estate agents, just the vendor.  Everything seems in order so far, but clearly I've more work to do yet.

Mark.  

Like 0      
02 Nov 2011 5:43 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Highly unlikely you will find a bank willing to lend but much depends on how much of it is wooden and how the property is registered.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
03 Nov 2011 7:00 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Good luck,

you are very very lucky you have had the very best advice this forum has to offer.

please let us know how it goes.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
03 Nov 2011 7:32 PM by northernmonkey Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks smiley and Norman.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hola from windy, boring, unpleasant London - 0 posts
Excessive Gaol Sentences - 0 posts
28 years old, moving to Andalucia - 32 posts
George Soros with an answer? - 0 posts
Accepting another property in return for payments made - 3 posts
Painting of grills - 4 posts
Benirrama - 0 posts
Reputable Rental Management inland Alicante / Vla de Galinerra area ? - 0 posts
Have people had enough now? - 19 posts
GAS BBQ FOR SALE, MIJAS COSTA - 0 posts
SMALL DVD PLAYER, Mijas costa only 12 euros - 1 posts
SMALL DVD PLAYER, Mijas costa only 12 euros - 0 posts
2 SKIES FOR SALE ONLY 40 EUROS FOR EVERYTHING, MIJAS COSTA - 0 posts
WOODEN COT WITH MATTRESS, MIJAS COSTA ONLY 40 EUROS - 0 posts
What if the owner of an embargoed car cannot pay? - 5 posts
google corvera airport - 26 posts
Car parchase issues - 0 posts
best bank - 20 posts
RE registration oo EU Citizens Registry - 2 posts
Plastic bags for airport - 9 posts
Is there a Web site with Historical Weather Stats - 0 posts
Three free legal guides by CostaLuz - 0 posts
Return to the UK? Never - 0 posts
outdoor dog kennel wanted - 0 posts
Marriage in Gibraltar?? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x