28 years old, moving to Andalucia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by kwtaylor83 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hello everyone - this is a really great forum.

I'm moving to Spain next year, and am in the fortunate position of being able to continue under the employment of my London based company, working from home. As I'm coming on my own, I am trying to find an area where I can feasibly meet alot of people and create a social life for myself. I'd like to be by the sea as I'm an avid swimmer, but need a big city feel to the place as I'm not really looking for a quiet place to retire to. My rental budget will be around 1000 euros a month, so hopefully I can get a nice place. My Spanish level is intermediate, but pushing that to a higher level is another strong motivation for moving.

Alot of people on this forum seem very knowledgable on areas in the south - any recommendations of places to consider would be bery much appreciated!

Thank you!

Keith

Like 0      
25 Oct 2011 9:46 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Keith

No Brainer

MALAGA

It has culture,history great  travel links air, sea  road and rail, fabulous food ,great fiestas and beautiful women

With the best climate in europe

And its bang on the coast

And if you are half as good looking as me you will make a lot of AMIGOS

Rod

Like 0      
25 Oct 2011 10:02 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Malaga city or Valencia city would be good choices I reckon.  You'll easily be able to rent a nice 2 bed appartment for around 500-600 euros.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2011 10:18 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Didnt know VALENCIA was in ANDALUCIA

Rod

Like 0      
25 Oct 2011 11:10 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Didnt know VALENCIA was in ANDALUCIA

Rod

Not sure why you've mentioned Andalucia...?

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2011 11:31 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Sanchez I am off to bed now and I have placed a penny on my sideboard I hope when I wake up in the morning it is on the floor

Good night

Rod

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 10:31 AM by joanniemac Star rating. 241 posts Send private message

Rod, Your post really made me smile this morning.

Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 10:41 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Well...........I was going to say Barcelona for a young person wanting city life and the coast.   But not in the south or Andalucia!!   And you have to be able to stand the football (I say that as a Real Madrid fan).

To be honest, if you have the free choice, and only just quite fancy the coast - I would go for Madrid at least for a couple of years.  You can always move to the coast later.   

Brian

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 1:16 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Sanchez I am off to bed now and I have placed a penny on my sideboard I hope when I wake up in the morning it is on the floor

Good night

Rod

Sorry, but where did the original poster mention Andalucia?  The south of Spain is not just Andalucia.  Valencia just about comes under southern Spain doesn't it?

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 1:59 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Sanchez, check out the thread title?!! 

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 2:34 PM by kwtaylor83 Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Rod, Malaga's probably the default option for me anyway, I suppose it makes most sense as it's quickest to get to London from, by the sea and a fairly big city. I just haven't been there much so wasn't sure - do you know the city well? Ideally I'd like to be right in the mix of the nightlife, but as close to the sea and/or parks as possible? I don't know much about the various neighbourhoods at all, or where the better beaches are. Looks like the ones to the east are nicer than those to the west, but that's just going by google maps!

Bri I just spent the weekend in Barcelona and loved it, but as my Spanish still needs work I thought it would be better to be based somewhere where Castellano is everyone, hearing Catalan everywhere might make it a little harder. Is a shame though, it's an awesome city which checks all the boxes otherwise. And as for Madrid, I think the hardest decision will be deciding between Malaga and Madrid. I hear they have the best accent for learning Spanish in Madrid and it's doubtless got the most opportunity for meeting people etc. but I might find myself wishing I had moved to the coast.

Thanks very much for the help guys!!

Keith

I think it will be between Malaga and Madrid. I've spent alot of time in Nerja and loved it there, but its probably a little too small

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 2:35 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Hmmm ... Valencia in the south?  No.   But that does not mean it would not be a good choice!!   That is an interesting debate - where does the south start - I would say the south east starts with Andalucia - then down through the true south, also Andalucia.  But I am open to other opinions!!! 

Brian

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 4:33 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Sanchez, check out the thread title?!! 

Haha.  I think I need my eyes testing.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 7:40 PM by anthonyo Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

anthonyo´s avatar

If you are looking for sun and hot weather the south coast its the place to go, in Madrid you can have -3ºC in winter in the coast the lower could be 10ºC, The cost of living in Madrid are much higher than Malaga. Also the crime is higher in Madrid, Madrid is a very interesting city, a lot of cultural events, museums... but have the other side of a big city.

The big city in the south its Malaga, near to Malaga you have very interesting cities Torremolinos, Benalmádena, Fuengirola, Marbella, Estepona... very well comunicated by motorway.

For example, you can find a cheap rental in Torremolinos its very close to Malaga, because its a holiday area, and you can rent fron October to May at very good prices, could be 500€ per month for a flat in a new development with views and gardens, in Madrid for that price you have a room in an old shared flat.

You can Spend some months in Malaga and the rest of the year in Madrid.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 7:59 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Cadiz Province and Costa de la Luz

No doubt!!!!!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 10:21 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Kevin

I personally have been travelling to Andalucia for the past 25 years and never tire of the place, it has many influences which create its diversity and this webpage explains in greater detail than I ever could http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusia I first visited as a 20 year old and found it facinating the people are so nice.

I will one day hopefully move permanently but still need to work in the UK.

I wish you success on your personal journey.

Just curious what work do you do.

Regards Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 26/10/2011.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2011 9:20 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Anthonyo
Please do not send my compatriate to torremolinos he will be damaged for life

We brits call it blackpool with the sun

Your english is very good by the way

Regards Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 27/10/2011.

Like 0      
29 Oct 2011 6:17 PM by Skadisman Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

It seems that most of the replies are from Brits living on the Costa Del Sol (little England!!)Not one person has mentioned Granada,a beautiful city,lots of culture,The Alhambra Palace,a great variety of night life,it has the skiing and is only 1 hours drive to the beaches of the Costa Tropical and an airport plus 1 hour drive to Malaga airport.I personally would choose Granada over Malaga any day!!

I live in a mountain village called Polopos,just 6 miles down to the beaches.Its an idyllic place to live if you like the quite life away from the busy beach area.Not suitable for our friend but i would definately reccomend he tries Granda City.

Like 0      
29 Oct 2011 6:38 PM by nazirza Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

How about moving to Finastrat,Alicante.Have 2 bed townhouse near the sea,Theme Park,golf course,zoo,water park,Karting etc
All for 595 euros a month.Shared swimming pool as well.Checkout The Eyeon Spain website.

Regards
Zulf

Like 0      
29 Oct 2011 7:25 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

I would add in Seville too.  Fantastic city, not too far inland.  But I would still go for at least a year in Madrid, then move to the coast for a different experience.  

Brian

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

George Soros with an answer? - 0 posts
Accepting another property in return for payments made - 3 posts
Painting of grills - 4 posts
Benirrama - 0 posts
Reputable Rental Management inland Alicante / Vla de Galinerra area ? - 0 posts
Have people had enough now? - 19 posts
GAS BBQ FOR SALE, MIJAS COSTA - 0 posts
SMALL DVD PLAYER, Mijas costa only 12 euros - 1 posts
SMALL DVD PLAYER, Mijas costa only 12 euros - 0 posts
2 SKIES FOR SALE ONLY 40 EUROS FOR EVERYTHING, MIJAS COSTA - 0 posts
WOODEN COT WITH MATTRESS, MIJAS COSTA ONLY 40 EUROS - 0 posts
What if the owner of an embargoed car cannot pay? - 5 posts
google corvera airport - 26 posts
Car parchase issues - 0 posts
best bank - 20 posts
RE registration oo EU Citizens Registry - 2 posts
Plastic bags for airport - 9 posts
Is there a Web site with Historical Weather Stats - 0 posts
Three free legal guides by CostaLuz - 0 posts
Return to the UK? Never - 0 posts
outdoor dog kennel wanted - 0 posts
Marriage in Gibraltar?? - 4 posts
FLASH FLOODS FINESTRAT - 1 posts
Hailstorm in Baza . - 0 posts
Are you glad you bought your holiday home.....or do you regret it? - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x