DVD recorder not compatible with Sky box

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by pegeen Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

I spend much of my time in Spain. My VCR recorders which I had  purchased in one of our local charity shops after about a year started to go wrong.

As I can't seem to find anyone locally to repair them I opted to send off for a RHT498 DVD RECORDER from Amazon UK. Prior to ordering I contacted the manufacturer LG to make sure it was compatible with my Sky box. They rassured me that it was. However on receipt I found that the timer functionality doesn't work. I received the following reply to my e-mail:

Unfortunatley you won't be able to set up a timer record from your sky box you will only be able to complete a instant recording which is to start recording at the start of the programme you wish to record.

We hope this helps, should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to ask, you can contact us on the number below, via email or through our live chat facility Monday - Friday, 9am - 6pm.

Best regards,
LG Electronics UK Helpdesk
----------------------------------
LG Customer Services
UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954

Like 0      
18 Oct 2011 1:09 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

What they will say is that you did not specifically ask about the timer function!

Very frustrating when things like that happen!

Good old VCR's always work with everything! Might be worth going back to the charity shop!

Joan

Like 0      
18 Oct 2011 2:13 PM by pegeen Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Thanks Joan.Well the point I am making is that this shouldn't happen to anyone else.I have also mentioned this problem in the reviews section for the product on Amazon and Facebook.

I actually work at a charity shop and there haven't been any VCRs recently.The problem is with finding someone to fix them when they go wrong because otherwise they just end up in landfills. Peggy

Like 0      
18 Oct 2011 3:32 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

Hi there,

We have a LG DVD recorder bought in Alcampo in Murcia, not sure it is the same as yours.

Now, we had problems recording in the first place and could only do instant recording by pressing the red record button. You DVD recorder is probabley also a DVB digital tv tuner as well, if it is, you can get the timer working by plugging a roof arial into the socket in the back and doing the initial set up as decribed in the manual, you have to tune the DVD to local Spanish channels before you can do timer tuning.

Once the DVD recorder is fully setup, you can remove the arial if you wish.w

When timed recording you have to choose AV2 or AV on the remote, once you can see SKY via the DVD recorder, you can instant or timed record.

Good luck

Like 0      
18 Oct 2011 3:54 PM by pegeen Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Hi Kevin,thank you for you reply. I can already see Sky through the recorder and can record but not on the timer.

When you say a roof aerial I assume you mean a Spanish aerial. Now I haven't got a roof aerial but an indoor aerial which enables me to watch Spanish TV.So maybe I could try that. Would I have to unplug the scart lead from the DVD recorder?

My TV is connected  via a scart lead to the Sky box and the Sky box is connected to the DVD recorder at the moment. 

I look forward to your reply Regards Peggy

Like 0      
18 Oct 2011 6:28 PM by pegeen Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Hi again, I think I've cracked it but still got a few things to iron out.I followed your instructions and used the indoor aerial to tune the DVD player to the Spanish channels. I'll let LG,Amazon and Facebook know the good news. Bless all the lovely helpful techies on Eye on Spain. Thank you very much.Would it be OK to contact you if I don't sort out some teething problems that I am experiencing .Many thanks Peggy 

This message was last edited by pegeen on 18/10/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

yoigo pay as you go? - 2 posts
Any info on the new Seville southern ring road? - 0 posts
One Month On! - 17 posts
LEGAL HELP Does this sound right to you? - 16 posts
Transfer of ownership from moral owner to legal owner when consent is not given - 7 posts
Removals - 0 posts
Costs for extending mortgage by 10 years - 8 posts
travel links to Denia - 0 posts
Is there a minimum age to leave children alone? - 5 posts
Resident or Non-Resident, confusion - 36 posts
LHD LANDROVER FREELANDER 2003 - 4 posts
Selling apartment and garage separately - 1 posts
Web-Based Start-Up Business - 6 posts
ANYONE INTERESTED IN A HOUSE-SWAP HOLIDAY? - 2 posts
Renewing Driving Licence. before it expires - 6 posts
building within a boundary - 5 posts
Dogs on Beaches? - 10 posts
Will there be compensation for BB users from Spannish Network suppiers - 9 posts
Need the help of you lovely people - 8 posts
NON RESIDENT PROPERTY OWNERS SPANISH TAX - 0 posts
Longish-term budget accomodation - 5 posts
Does anyone know where you can take olives to be processed into oil? - 6 posts
SLEEPLESS - 9 posts
Biggest Idiot On The Planet - 12 posts
What has gone wrong with the Bono? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x