Duty Free changes when returning from EU to the UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by FibbyUk Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUk´s avatar

From 1st October 2011, Customs Officers can stop you in Customs and check the quantity of cigarettes & tobacco that you are bringing into the UK. The recommended guidlines have NOT changed, BUT, if you have more than 800 cigarettes, or more than 1Kilo of tobacco, questions will be asked and if Customs are not satisfied with your answers, they will be confiscated, or you will have to pay the duty.

They will also take into account how often you travel and when your next trip is planned. Here is the article from the website:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 12:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

HM Customs have always been able to stop anyone entering the UK if they suspect that they are breaking the law. 

So no change I believe.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 1:08 PM by thatslife Star rating in MURCIA. 5 posts Send private message

30 Sep 2011 1:47 PM by FibbyUk Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUk´s avatar

More what?!

Also, yes, the customs have always been able to stop you, but now, they are not jsu "allowing" the larger quantities into the UK without thorough questioning.

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 1:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry, but in that case why did you bother to make a post which just says in effect everything is as it has always been.

As I said, whenever they were  suspicious that the law was being broken, they could and did stop and search, question , confiscate and prosecute where necessary.

Or have I missed some important point ?

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 2:00 PM by FibbyUk Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUk´s avatar

I bothered to make the post as this is now a new guideline

Before, travellers were allowed a greater quantity without question, on each trip

Now, that quantity has been halved and your previous and next date of travel will be taken into account, relevant to your personal consuption.

So it alters the goalposts dramatically and as it was not in the national newspapers, nor on the TV news, I thought it would be nice to draw travellers attention to it.

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 2:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I suspect the reason why nothing was published is, because it really has not changed. The Customs (and the police) have always used those guidelines.

I retired from the police in London about 23years ago. I know from personal knowledge ( when I assisted HM Customs with prosecutions) that it was, in practice, the same then.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 3:22 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Slightly off topic but ....

Duty free has interested me as it's usually but not exclusively associated with the import to a few extra tobacco or acoholic products but there must be far more expensive 'green channeled' goods imported by people returning from shopping trips and purchasing goods such as watches, clothes, laptops and the like.

I live for a lot of the year in Dubai and am always amazed at the monies spent by UK citizens in the malls. I always wonder if any is 'red channeled'. The savings on a Rolex, Apple PC, designer clothesand many other goods is considerable and could pay for the trip.

The couple, last week who purchase a his and hers Rolex and had the boxes and certificates shipped to the UK whilst wearing the watches didn't seem the type to pay the duty -- but I shouldn't judge a book by the cover.

David

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 3:42 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

DBS

There are of course restrictions on goods taken into UK from oustside EU.  So Rolex watches etc are taxable. (almost certainly on their TOTAL value, if that exceeds £390, see below )

This is from HM Customs info.

Alcohol allowances

You can bring in either, but not both, of the following:
  • 1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22 per cent volume
  • 2 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry), sparkling wine or any other alcoholic drink that's less than 22 per cent volume
Or you can combine these allowances. For example, if you bring in one litre of fortified wine (half your full allowance) you can also bring in half a litre of spirits (half your full allowance). This would make up your full allowance. You can't go over your total alcohol allowance.
In addition you may also bring back both of the following:
  • 16 litres of beer
  • 4 litres of still wine

Tobacco allowances

You can bring in one from the following list:
  • 200 cigarettes
  • 100 cigarillos
  • 50 cigars
  • 250g of tobacco
Or you can combine these allowances. For example, if you bring in 100 cigarettes (half your full allowance) you can also bring in 25 cigars (half your full allowance). This would make up your full tobacco allowance. You can't go over your total tobacco allowance.
You cannot combine alcohol and tobacco allowances.

Other goods including perfume and souvenirs

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.
If you arrive by private plane or private boat for pleasure purposes, you can only bring in other goods worth up to £270 tax and duty free.
If you bring in any single item worth more than your allowance, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full item value, not just the value above the allowance. You also cannot group individual allowances together to bring in an item worth more than the limit.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 30/09/2011.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 4:00 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Johnzx,

My point is restrictions only apply if you go through the red channel or get caught in the Blue or Green. Luxury goods dont take up a lot of space and cost UKPLC lots  in non payment of taxes.

But how much of the goods purchased when people are on their 'shopping' holiday - one of the selling points of Dubai -- gets declared. The amount people spend on luxury goods is very noticable a few weeks before Xmas when presents are being purchased. Thats when you really notice the plastic flexing in the malls.

The focus always seems to be on tobacco and booze, easy to spot a car down on its suspension not so easy to spot the luxury item that cost as much as the car!

David

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 4:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Yes you are right, there are a lot of dishonest people about, but if they get caught it can become expensive

If they are in say a car or a privae boat, that, just like the expensive suit cases can be confiscated. (Anthing used to transport the item)

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 7:20 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm has a table.

BTW, "Now, that quantity has been halved"  .... when I was at school 3200 was 4 x 800 not 2 x 800  

Goods brought to the UK from the European Union

Until 30 September 2011

From 1 October 2011

Cigarettes

Cigars

Cigarillos

Tobacco

3 kilograms

1 kilogram

Beer

110 litres

110 litres

Wine

90 litres

90 litres

Spirits

10 litres

10 litres

Fortified wine (for example port or sherry)

20 litres

20 litres

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 7:41 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

It does state on their website

'Although there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, customs officials are more likely to ask you questions if you have more than the following:'

Another question if anyone can answer it: If you buy goods in Spain but fly back to the uk from Gibralter, what are the limits?

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 8:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

From HM Customs info on line:-  

Although Gibraltar is part of the EU, it is outside the Community Customs territory. The customs allowances for outside the EU therefore apply.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 30/09/2011.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 10:29 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I find this quite interesting (my understanding only) as Duty Free within the EU was abolished many yeas ago. If you are at the airport, you cannot buy spirits and tobacco at duty free prices if you ae travelling within the EU. Whenever I buy cigarettes in Spain, they are always duty paid, therefore, tax paid and all legal. Just because the UK chooses to have a higher tax threshold than other EU countries "shouldn't" matter, so long as it is for "personal consumption".

That said, too many people hire a transit for the weekend and pop across to Calais/ Ostend/ etc and come back piled to the top, then sell their goods in local works canteens and the like (saw it all the time on the buses).

Mark

Like 0      
01 Oct 2011 9:10 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Marksfish.

It does not matter how much you take back only that it MUST BE FOR PERSONAL USE.  Thus, HM Customs have a 'guide line'  amount, which it considers reasonable in most situations for PERSONAL USE. However, that is not a maximum quantity. Each case is decided on it own.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/10/2011.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2011 9:00 PM by Pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

Pilgrim´s avatar

Apologies for being slightly off topic but if a piece of jewellery is bought in England, for personal use, by someone living in Spain, does it attract customs duty, when returning to Spain or, is it, because it is within the EEC, free of duty, provided VAT is paid in the UK?

pilgrim

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 9:07 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Pilgrim.

If  'sales tax' (VAT / IVA) has been paid on it (which it would have been if the purchaser resides in the UK, unlike say an American tourist who had bought tax free) there is no further tax to pay.   

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 12:54 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Johnzx

its says 'Although Gibraltar is part of the EU, it is outside the Community Customs territory. The customs allowances for outside the EU therefore apply.'

surley this only applies to tobacco/spirits bought in Gibraltar,  if you buy the goods in Spain you have already paid tax on them

Think I will ask Customs on the way out first.

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
02 Oct 2011 1:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gibraltar is tax free (duty free) and outside the EU tax area thus the allowances apply. 

Cars and people on foot  returning to Spain get searched pretty thoroughly. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Form 210 ID labels - 3 posts
New stables opening up soon just outside Murcia - 2 posts
The Complaints Form - 4 posts
English bike carriers - 2 posts
For Sale or Swap BMW 325 Convertible Auto UK RHD, Tax & MOT - 2 posts
Change of clocks - 11 posts
Formentera Del Segura - 5 posts
repossessed property - no water or electricity meters - bank obligation to disclose? - 8 posts
Liability for Water Leak - 15 posts
Spa day around Quesada? - 1 posts
Mazarron country club - 6 posts
Help locating hand mixer please - 10 posts
Invitation to British property owners in Torrevieja area - 3 posts
Invitation to British property owners in Torrevieja area - 0 posts
Invitation to British property owners in Torrevieja area - 0 posts
Reporting a crime in Spain from the UK - 6 posts
MALAGA CAR HIRE - ADVICE NEEDED ASAP - 11 posts
Property on sale (Andalucia, Spain) - 0 posts
sierra nevada - 0 posts
Free Car Hire - 6 posts
el paso los alcazares - 1 posts
School grants for the Bachillerato. - 0 posts
Fuengirola Feria - 2 posts
Rental agreements - 1 posts
Rental agreements - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x